New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boxster S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
More than pleased with our latest purchase, a 2017 Boxster S PDK for our 2010 Boxster manual. Night and day.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the biggest difference, the S or the PDK?

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new ride.
Is the S ride much more rigid than the old standard suspension? Tires seem to get thinner in profile most every other year.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Those low profile tires put a lot of noise in the cabin.
They look good!

Posts: 1069 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
What is the biggest difference, the S or the PDK?

I would say the PDK if buying new S vs. non-S.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being old school, I always associate a performance car with a manual gearbox, but I know that's changing as technology in automotive design advances. I suppose it would be nice to be able to "turn off" shifting and going full auto when wanted.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I remember when I first bought a paddleshift F1 type (semi automatic sequential) car I thought I'd never go back. I even said I'd blow the guy who invented it. Then 2 months ago my son had to borrow my wife's Cayenne GTS because of ankle surgery so I got to play with his WRX.

I had such a blast I started looking at old Alfas, then the schizophrenia kicked in- 60's vettes, (aluminum bodied) cobra's, then 80s Ferraris. Well my meds kicked in and fortunately I didn't throw away 100 grand (or $400 for my favorite the 365 GTC).

But I did have a blast with the 6 speed.

That being said, in a more powerful sports car the paddleshift is the way to go. The 911 Turbo only comes with one. The lesser hp/smaller sports cars are the ones where a stick shines. If it were a non commuting vehicle, I'd get one on a Boxster or Cayman, but not a 911. When I bought my 911 S I did drive the 7 speed stick but bought the PDK.

FWIW the PDK outshined all of the other paddleshifters (Mercedes is an auto, not a sequential), until I got the new Ferrari one, which is similar to the current F1 semi autos in that it selects 2 gears at once making blindingly fast shifts. Absolutely incredible when compared to those of the early 2000s.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep/ Mercedes C&E class paddles are just suggesting another gear. Nothing precise or instant about them. Can't say for other models.
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I remember when I first bought a paddleshift F1 type (semi automatic sequential) car I thought I'd never go back. I even said I'd blow the guy who invented it. Then 2 months ago my son had to borrow my wife's Cayenne GTS because of ankle surgery so I got to play with his WRX.

I had such a blast I started looking at old Alfas, then the schizophrenia kicked in- 60's vettes, (aluminum bodied) cobra's, then 80s Ferraris. Well my meds kicked in and fortunately I didn't throw away 100 grand (or $400 for my favorite the 365 GTC).

But I did have a blast with the 6 speed.

That being said, in a more powerful sports car the paddleshift is the way to go. The 911 Turbo only comes with one. The lesser hp/smaller sports cars are the ones where a stick shines. If it were a non commuting vehicle, I'd get one on a Boxster or Cayman, but not a 911. When I bought my 911 S I did drive the 7 speed stick but bought the PDK.

FWIW the PDK outshined all of the other paddleshifters ( Mercedes is an auto, not a sequential ), until I got the new Ferrari one, which is similar to the current F1 semi autos in that it selects 2 gears at once making blindingly fast shifts. Absolutely incredible when compared to those of the early 2000s.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not figured how to paddle shift this car any better than what it is programmed to do just flooring the peddle. A new Mustang GT was a joke as was some sort of Harley. I hit 100 mph and had to back off or hit them. I have a 427 Windsor based Mach One to play with when I want old school noise. Burnouts are an easy thing, in third...

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I miss the 302 based 351W firing order stroker I had in the '66 Fastback. That 347 seemed to have torque all the way to 7,000 rpm and then some. Wish I had dyno-ed it.
Nice car. The Wife loves those 71-73's.
Did you start with a Ford racing short block?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Had a guy come by today + was interested in my 1955 Chevy 3100 wraparound rear window P.U. He asked what I wanted + I told him if I was to sell it (+it needs a LOT of work)I would take $1500.00;Too rich for his blood but as I told him,it does'nt eat anything,it can sit right there beside my 1938 Dodge Coupe.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I miss the 302 based 351W firing order stroker I had in the '66 Fastback. That 347 seemed to have torque all the way to 7,000 rpm and then some. Wish I had dyno-ed it.
Nice car. The Wife loves those 71-73's.
Did you start with a Ford racing short block?

It is a DART block.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 2017 911S with a 7-speed MT, not a PDK. I am sure that I made the right choice every time I drive it. I am not concerned about a slight disadvantage in speed since I am not racing. I enjoy the active participation of using the MT, clutch, etc. After 60+ years of using MTs, I am not ready give any of it up.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
I bought my 2017 911S with a 7-speed MT, not a PDK. I am sure that I made the right choice every time I drive it. I am not concerned about a slight disadvantage in speed since I am not racing. I enjoy the active participation of using the MT, clutch, etc. After 60+ years of using MTs, I am not ready give any of it up.

Notice that even Porsche had to return to MTs in the GT3 due to buyer demand.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^THIS!!!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said,too easy to drive is boring,active participation is what makes it fun,I drive a Porsche Turbo 6 speed,I chose it over a 7 speed,I drove a '66 Ford Fairlane coupe with a 289 4 spd in high school at $150? it was a fun car Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote