THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Decent movie opened today. ford vs ferrari
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent movie opened today. ford vs ferrari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Decent movie. Gave it a 8.5 out of 10.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5081 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely agree. Views of vintage cars, in my case, particularly MGAs, was alone worth the price of admission. Took me back to 1964, when I purchased my 1960 MGA 1600.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The best part was when he pushed the tach over 7500 and it held together. Quite an amazing feat for a big block 427 even these days. May have to buy that one.

Posts: 5081 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great movie! Both of the main actors support taking away our guns and not allowing anyone to own such wonderful cars. The rat bastards!

On another note, it’s amazing how expensive, both original and aftermarket 427 FE sideoiler engines and components are! I looked into building one myself with a newly manufactured block, heads, etc. It looks like a hobbiest will have to fork over at least $20K to get all of the components together, new, used or a combination of both. Then there is the cost of machine work on the block. I would like to put one of these into a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica, when the kids finish college, but I’m thinking I’ll build a 390 FE stroker instead.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
You can get a small block 427 from Ford Performance kicking out 535hp for about 11K. I don't know that you could build that motor for that. Would be great in the FF Cobra.

Machine shop that did the machine work on my Ford 240 I6 is working on a 427 sideoiler out of a 1968 Cougar GT-E. It's too cool.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
You can get a small block 427 from Ford Performance kicking out 535hp for about 11K. I don't know that you could build that motor for that. Would be great in the FF Cobra.

Machine shop that did the machine work on my Ford 240 I6 is working on a 427 sideoiler out of a 1968 Cougar GT-E. It's too cool.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve looked at Windsor 427, and I might end up going that direction, but just love the noise those FE big blocks make.

That 427 from the GTA was one of the last of breed. It was listed with 390hp, but I wonder if that was just for insurance reasons. I have a lot to learn.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Matt, I agree that it really chaps my ass to see these hypocritical actors whose claim to fame was action movies + being anti-gun in real life.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My luck wasn't so hot doing the peace meal deal with my first high HP engine. 75 year machining company didn't do the best craftsmanship in the end. But, we live and learn.
I bought a 347 shorty from Ford Racing. Great well-balanced assembly capable of 8000 rpms. Up top Victor Junior heads used are already CNC-matched to Victor intakes. The high pressure springs require a roller cam. Went to Erson for a high street cam.
Long story short. There is no question what you get with a FR block or long block. Edelbrock induction (if wanted) is tough to beat, mean street or mild.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Great movie! Both of the main actors support taking away our guns and not allowing anyone to own such wonderful cars. The rat bastards!

On another note, it’s amazing how expensive, both original and aftermarket 427 FE sideoiler engines and components are! I looked into building one myself with a newly manufactured block, heads, etc. It looks like a hobbiest will have to fork over at least $20K to get all of the components together, new, used or a combination of both. Then there is the cost of machine work on the block. I would like to put one of these into a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica, when the kids finish college, but I’m thinking I’ll build a 390 FE stroker instead.

Shoot, you can buy the new 426 hemi heliphant from chrysler with 1000 horsepower for 27,000 and the computer brain and wiring harness for $3000. Try putting that in your cobra.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Shoot, you can buy the new 426 hemi heliphant from chrysler with 1000 horsepower for 27,000 and the computer brain and wiring harness for $3000. Try putting that in your cobra.

While there really are no rules when building a kit car or reproduction, I would personally feel that it would be sacrilegious to put anything but a ford motor in my Cobra repro. I think the easiest and least expensive way to make good power is to go small block Chevy. That ain’t happening!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, in the usual way that Chrysler screws over the public, nobody who was not "Somebody" got a Helephant engine on the very limited run that they made. Also, in typical fashion, they have made no commitments or announcements on if or when they will make more. Ma Mopar could take a page from GM on supporting grass roots racing efforts, but sadly, they do not. But, hey, Ass Monkey garage's Richard Rawlings got a Helephant, so all is good. My only Vette was a 73 454 that I warmed over. I am glad that GM finally got around to making the Vette what it should and could have been a long time ago.
Matt, I could not agree with you more! A stroker FE would be perfect and yes, they do sound great. I love all brands of musclecars, but I remain a Mopar guy at heart. Good luck with your project.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m a ford guy at heart, but only marginally. I really like them all! When I was a kid growing up in Baird Texas in the ‘70-‘80’s, there was an impounded 1970 383 Roadrunner sitting next to county jail in the middle of town. Yellow and Black with side scoops. Everyone in town asked about that car. I guess it was eventually auctioned. I loved the looks of that car!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

While there really are no rules when building a kit car or reproduction, I would personally feel that it would be sacrilegious to put anything but a ford motor in my Cobra repro. I think the easiest and least expensive way to make good power is to go small block Chevy. That ain’t happening!

Different engine for a Cobra is fine.
He wanted a Chevy when he did the Cobra. Ford was a second choice.......

Posts: 432 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
The best part was when he pushed the tach over 7500 and it held together. Quite an amazing feat for a big block 427 even these days. May have to buy that one.

Part of the movie I didn’t like........
From a history point of view.
They had Ken doing that in 66.......
In 64....that they seemed to skip in the movie....Richie Ginther went from 8th starting position to pass THREE Ferraris down the straightaway by running to 7200 (6500 was redline)in the second lap and had a 40 second lead with in an hour. 10 GT40s started that race. All FTF.
What they had as the first year,1965, they had poor Ken working in the garage in California listening to the race on the radio. Actually he was driving in the race........11 GT40s started that year. 10 FTF.
The GT40s were built in England till 69 I think.
But they had to make a movie to sell to 99% of the public that doesn’t know the story.
Worlds Fastest Indian did it better history wise.

Posts: 432 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. Most movies based on true stories usually have at least some particulars that don't add up. Typical Hollywood.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you want to get more of the facts and learn more about Carroll Shelby and his career, go on Netflix and watch "Shelby American". It is a very good documentary with interviews of all that were involved from beginning to end, including Shelby and Edsel Ford. My wife really enjoyed it also. Shelby was a hell of a guy!
Addendum, I finally got to see the movie and it was not too bad for entertainment purposes, but I recommend watching the documentary after the movie so you will know how much bullshit was in the movie!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Shelby was a hell of a guy!

I love all of the ford vehicles with the Shelby monicker, the rich history etc. However, after watching that documentary and several other documentaries, I’ve kind of developed a dual impression of Carrol Shelby. On one hand he is the “force of nature personality”, who just made good things happen. On the other hand I see a compulsive liar who used a lot of dishonest tactics to achieve his goals. I was quite shocked by the accounts of how he duped several attractive young women into marrying him in fake marriages, where these young ladies thought they were entering into a real marriage. It seems to me that Mr. Shelby had some really psychopathic traits in terms of his ability to selfishly lie and use deception to achieve his goals.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Saw in November soon after it was released. Great movie! Will look for the DVD

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote