THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Nice engine workshop with all the gadgets.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice engine workshop with all the gadgets.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_LFckaT7g

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally fascinating! All aluminum? I didn't see cylinder liners.
I am sure that's is they Chevy does it, don't they?
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction to last post, brain disconnected from fingers.
'I am sure that is the way Chevy does it, right?'
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Maybe. Most manufacturers probably do. I'm just partial to Mercedes-Benz cars.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the 'minimum' MB you have to buy to get that V8? I would guess that is not found in any of the lower end cars?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
C63.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I was most impressed with the precision RTV applicator.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nanoslide is an innovative twin-wire arc spraying technique which the company has been utilizing successfully in its 6.3-L AMG engines.

It's all kind of a takeoff from the Moto Guzzi tech mostly known as nikasil.

The Nanoslide technology employs the twin-wire arc spraying technique to melt and spray carbon/iron wires onto the weightless aluminium crankcase’s cylinder surfaces utilizing a gasflow to produce an ultra-fine to nano-crystalline iron coating. A unique honing process is then employed on the Nanoslide coating to give an exceptional mirror-like finish, which now has a thickness of merely 0.1-0.15 mm.

Posts: 15791 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Nanoslide is an innovative twin-wire arc spraying technique which the company has been utilizing successfully in its 6.3-L AMG engines.

It's all kind of a takeoff from the Moto Guzzi tech mostly known as nikasil.

The Nanoslide technology employs the twin-wire arc spraying technique to melt and spray carbon/iron wires onto the weightless aluminium crankcase’s cylinder surfaces utilizing a gasflow to produce an ultra-fine to nano-crystalline iron coating. A unique honing process is then employed on the Nanoslide coating to give an exceptional mirror-like finish, which now has a thickness of merely 0.1-0.15 mm.

Seems like one of my Porsches had that process on the aluminum cylinders.
Didn't GM try it on their Vegas?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_LFckaT7g

Fascinating, thanks for the post!

Posts: 7125 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hahaha, you a funny man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet.:
quote:

Hahaha, you a funny man.

Well young feller, I guess the Vegas were before your time.
You might read this and comment on it:

The 2300 is a 2.3 L; 139.6 cu in (2,287 cc) inline-four engine produced by the Chevrolet division of General Motors for the 1971 to 1977 model years of the Chevrolet Vega and Chevrolet Monza. It featured a die-cast aluminum alloy cylinder block. The high-tech block features an alloy with 17 percent silicon. During the machining process, the cylinders were etched leaving the pure silicon particles exposed providing the piston wear surface, eliminating the need for iron cylinder liners. The block has cast iron main caps and a cast iron crankshaft. The engine's cylinder head is cast iron for lower cost, structural integrity and longer camshaft bearing life. The valvetrain features a direct-acting single overhead camshaft design.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I hope you did not think my post to yours was an insult. No insult intended.

I was around in those days, several friends in high school had them.

My comment was more to highlight the difference in how GM would do the process vs. Mercedes/AMG.

Back in '85, I was sent to Dallas for 3 days, to the Mercedes headquarters, to learn about them in more detail.

One example the instructor used was the Vega, and how GM made the aluminum engine vs. MB.

I recall that GM used a 'fast cure' process vs. 'slow cure' for MB.

Fast cure left air bubbles in the block, making the engine prone to warping when overheated, ala Vega.

Slow cure allowed the air bubbles to rise in the block, and then MB would cut off the upper part of the block with all the air bubbles, leaving behind a very dense block.

So, even though Gm & MB used a similar Reynolds Aluminum alloy formulation, and ran without bore sleeves, the slow cure process used by MB was quite superior for engine stability.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet.:
Butch,

I hope you did not think my post to yours was an insult. No insult intended.

I was around in those days, several friends in high school had them.

My comment was more to highlight the difference in how GM would do the process vs. Mercedes/AMG.

Back in '85, I was sent to Dallas for 3 days, to the Mercedes headquarters, to learn about them in more detail.

One example the instructor used was the Vega, and how GM made the aluminum engine vs. MB.

I recall that GM used a 'fast cure' process vs. 'slow cure' for MB.

Fast cure left air bubbles in the block, making the engine prone to warping when overheated, ala Vega.

Slow cure allowed the air bubbles to rise in the block, and then MB would cut off the upper part of the block with all the air bubbles, leaving behind a very dense block.

So, even though Gm & MB used a similar Reynolds Aluminum alloy formulation, and ran without bore sleeves, the slow cure process used by MB was quite superior for engine stability.

My comment was to show that the MB thing was not new. I did not comment about the quality of the GM blocks. As we know they weren't successful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
weren't successful?
they sold what 2 million of them?
everyone I knew either had one or their mom did.

Posts: 4957 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
weren't successful?
they sold what 2 million of them?
everyone I knew either had one or their mom did.

Chuckle chuckle, how many are still on the road or better yet, why aren't they still produced? Only ones you see now are drag cars with big V8 engines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well there is that.
but how many other cars from that time frame are still rollin around.

I ain't seen a mid 70's mustang, pacer, gremlin, Cadillac etc. since my little brother sent his fast back to the scrap heap like 20 years ago.

Posts: 4957 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote