THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    2017 Camaro ZL1 Does The Nürburgring In 7:29.60
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Camaro ZL1 Does The Nürburgring In 7:29.60
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About a second slower than the best lap for a $440,000 Porsche Carrera GT.

Eeker

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming a sequential trans and shifter, but can't detect any finger movement. Can someone help me out?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a stock 6.2L blown LT4 making 650HP through a 10 speed automatic left in automatic mode. Base price is $62K.

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1.html

quote:

Chevrolet promised big things when it debuted the new, 650-HP Camaro ZL1 earlier this year. It seems the company is making good on its promises, because an automatic-equipped ZL1 just set a 7:29.60 lap at the Nurburgring, 11.67 seconds quicker than its predecessor. Chevy's got the video to prove it, and you need to watch.

This Nurburgring run was done by Drew Cattell, the ride and handling engineer for the Camaro. Interestingly, he leaves the car in full automatic mode for the whole lap, never touching the paddles once. Chevy's making a big deal about the ZL1's new 10-speed automatic, and this run serves to prove its point. Of course, you can still get the ZL1 with a six-speed manual.

The ZL1 was spotted testing at the Nurburgring a few months ago, and it looked incredibly fast. That's not surprising given how sophisticated the new Camaro's chassis is, and the fact that it shares its supercharged V8 with the Corvette Z06 certainly helps. Base price for the 2017 ZL1 is $62,000, and given what the car is capable of, that seems like a bargain to us.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Opus1: Ya gotta' be kidding me! Left in full auto? Stock? $62,000? Poor old Enzo!

You may have guessed that I'm not real knowledgeable on this modern iron. Back when I was messing about with such things it was all about cubic inches, go fast, and turn left (if you could). Next thing you know, the NASCAR rides will be real Impalas prepped at the dealerships.

Thanks very much for the added info.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more questions: What are the clicks I'm hearing? And the throttle blips? I thought those were being done automatically by the sequential shifter. Obviously not. There's a tab/box on the stock monitor that changes sometimes. Couldn't zoom in to read that.

Bloody amazin'!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

I wonder if Ford will take a GT350R there and try it out...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They did and got a 7:32.19 in the 2016 version.

Comparing the two, the GT350R is more of a dedicated track car and not the more street version.

But I am sure Ford will be gunning for this time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Ford is more of an Extremely Limited Edition collector car. That has always been the Ford tradition.

They did not want head to head comparisons back in the Boss 429 VS 426 Hemi era in Torino VS Road Runner reviews.

There are two GT350R's for sale in Dupont Registry. Asking price is $150,000.
You could buy the Camaro and a new Corvette convertible for that kind of money.

And, you could actually buy one...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the 10 speed paddle shifted trans is a partnership with Ford.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta confess, I have never been a camaro fan. That said, this is a car I could live with...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seen my first one in a small town about 8 miles from my home...darn nice car. Plain white and very unassuming...a fine "sleeper". The ZL1 with 650hp is also 200lbs lighter than the other Camaro SS model with the 450hp....makes a big difference in power and handling. Very nice, powerful car for the money.....right there with the Hellcat in useable power and price.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Americans are getting better and better technical to build cars that will stay on the twisting roads at high speeds.

Great video patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and without charging a quarter million dollars or more. Same sporty looks, same wonderful ride, same awesome handling and better engine performance...at one quarter the price! GM hit the ball out of the park with the new ZL1 and Z06. Both awesome cars and both way under 100 grand!!!!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The throttle 'blips' can be built into an auto trans. Some of the latest Aston Martins have the same programming. Would love to see these cars with standard suspension settings and engine tune compete on a Targa and various race circuits without special prep. or changes. I'd bet results would vary.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Porsche guy through and through - -

But that is damn good on any level and it is fantastic for the price.

Of course they had the engine, transmission, tires, suspension tuned for the run - but why so does Porsche. Good work by Chevy there.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Came really close to buying one of these last month. Then I forced myself to go sit in one at the dealership. I doubt there is a car made that has worse outside visibility than the Camaro except maybe some of the Lambo's. Its an amazing car with the Z06 supercharged engine and the 10 speed auto.
Purchased a new 2017 Corvette instead for about $17K less.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote