THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports  Hop To Forums  Baseball    2011 Pre-Season Predictions...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2011 Pre-Season Predictions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With less than 2 weeks before opening day, anyone have their 2011 predictions in order?

Even though mine usually end up exactly wrong, here are mine:

Unless injuries take place or big trades are made, here's my guess (and it is a wild guess)...

AL East
Boston Red Sox (would be the Yanks, if they had a #5 starter nailed down)
New York Yankees (wildcard)
Tampa Bay Rays
Toronto Blue Jays
Baltimore Orioles

AL Central
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Kansas City Royals (great group of young talent, but a bunch of old scrubs)
Cleveland Indians

AL West
LA Angels
Texas Rangers
Oakland A's
Seattle Mariners

NL East
Atlanta Braves
Philadelphia Phillies (wildcard)
Florida Marlins
Washington Nationals
New York Mets

NL Central
Cincinnati Reds
Milwuakee Brewers
St Louis Cardinals
Houston Astros
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West
Colorado Rockies
San Francisco Giants
LA Dodgers
San Diego Padres
Arizona Diamondbacks

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:

Unless injuries take place or big trades are made, here's my guess (and it is a wild guess)...

I predict injuries will take place and big trades will be made.

The Yankees will be in the World Series against the Colorado Rockies.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I would agree with you whole-heartedly, if I had any clue what the Yanks were gonna do with their rotation.

Let's face it, no one in the AL can match the position players the Yanks have, but that rotation, especially with Burnett at #2, and we know how flakey he can be, is suspect. Even then, I know AJ has amazing stuff, and should he get the fluff between his ears right, he can be amazing.

However, with Nova only having pitched very few innings at the ML level, Garcia being marginal and Colon not having pitched in a year and half, their rotation is shakey. Could it be the first 6 man rotation? Split 60 starts between Nova, Garcia and Colon? Maybe even throw Mitre (who Girardi has a long relationship with since their Florida days)? I don't think any team is going to be better on the field defensively (except super low offensive teams like the Mariners) or offensively than the Yanks, but can the Yanks rotation keep other teams from "outscoring" them based on suspect pitching?

I do believe the Rox really do have the team to beat in the NL, but with the weakenesses the of the top teams in the AL, it's anybody's guess.

A-Rod is a good bet for the AL MVP. First time he's been healthy since winning the MVP, and by all accounts, he's on a mission. Though, if Cabrera can get his personal issues under control, or Hamilton can his health lined out, both those guys have talent in spades, as does Cano...

I'm looking for a great season of baseball. Have tickets to the M's and Yanks over Memorial Day weekend in Seattle and can't wait to experience that.

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don,
I would agree with you whole-heartedly, if I had any clue what the Yanks were gonna do with their rotation.

Let's face it, no one in the AL can match the position players the Yanks have, but that rotation, especially with Burnett at #2, and we know how flakey he can be, is suspect. Even then, I know AJ has amazing stuff, and should he get the fluff between his ears right, he can be amazing.

However, with Nova only having pitched very few innings at the ML level, Garcia being marginal and Colon not having pitched in a year and half, their rotation is shakey. Could it be the first 6 man rotation? Split 60 starts between Nova, Garcia and Colon? Maybe even throw Mitre (who Girardi has a long relationship with since their Florida days)? I don't think any team is going to be better on the field defensively (except super low offensive teams like the Mariners) or offensively than the Yanks, but can the Yanks rotation keep other teams from "outscoring" them based on suspect pitching?

I do believe the Rox really do have the team to beat in the NL, but with the weakenesses the of the top teams in the AL, it's anybody's guess.

A-Rod is a good bet for the AL MVP. First time he's been healthy since winning the MVP, and by all accounts, he's on a mission. Though, if Cabrera can get his personal issues under control, or Hamilton can his health lined out, both those guys have talent in spades, as does Cano...

I'm looking for a great season of baseball. Have tickets to the M's and Yanks over Memorial Day weekend in Seattle and can't wait to experience that.

Look at the top teams in the playoffs last year. Did they all have a solid rotation?

They say good pitching stops good hitting, but if that was the case why did the ERAs go up last year?

Boston has Matsuzaka and Beckett are in the twilight of their careers. Is the Boston rotation that much better than the Yankees?

Papelbon wasn't light's out last year but we'll see if he comes back in a contract year.

The AL East is all about offense this year.

That said, I'll take the Yankee bats over the Boston bats. Is Toronto the sleeper? Tampa Bay let too much talent go to be a contender.

We'll know in a few months who has the edge in the East.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I can only predict a very long season for me.....sob

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
Look at the top teams in the playoffs last year. Did they all have a solid rotation?

They say good pitching stops good hitting, but if that was the case why did the ERAs go up last year?

Boston has Matsuzaka and Beckett are in the twilight of their careers. Is the Boston rotation that much better than the Yankees?

Don

Look at Seattle over the past two years. Defensively, including pitching they were the best in the majors. Hitting sucked, and you can't win if you don't score. However...

I think NYY and Bosox offenses and defenses are close enough that pitching will be a factor. While Beckett and Matsuzaka are anything but decent at this stage, I'd take those two over Garcia, Colon, and a guy that is going to give you at most, 150 innings, especially if Yanks knucklehead management treat Nova the way they did Chamberlin and Hughes. Granted, if the Yanks can trade for some decent starting pitching (which is not market heavy right now, Millwood? Really?), then they would be the favorite. But, I'll take the Sox overall package over the Yanks, even though I like the Yanks offense and non-pitching defense over the Sox, but marginally. If AJ can get his head out of his ass, they will have a great 1-2-3. I'm not convinced AJ can control his head, though.

Tampa still has a lot of talent. Face it, Crawford is very slightly better than the Yanks Gardner or Sox Ellsbury. Not a lot of difference. Pena? The guy hit .200 last year. The difference with Rays, from winning the AL East last year, is the pitching.

As for Cards fans, sigh... Could have been a great year, but does not appear meant to be.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

As for Cards fans, sigh... Could have been a great year, but does not appear meant to be.

It's going to be a long year in Missouri for sure.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPhilips,

AL

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

NL

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

Ted,

wash your mouth out with soap.

DRG,

don't give up your night job as a janitor just yet...

regards to all,

Rich
A Cards fan enjoying them play Texas in the WS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote