THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports  Hop To Forums  Baseball    The Albert Pujols Lottery
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Albert Pujols Lottery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted
With it being pretty obvious that Pujols will not be a Cardinal in 2012, what team do you think is going to offer him a dump truck load of money to play next season?

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I expect the Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Giants, and Nationals to be players.

Non-players: Yankees have Teixeira, BoSox have Gonzalez. The Dodgers have ownership issues (nasty divorce); the Mets' owners have Madoff-related issues.

Maybes: I do not know what the Cubs or Braves are capable of, financially.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Non-players: Yankees have Teixeira, BoSox have Gonzalez. The Dodgers have ownership issues (nasty divorce); the Mets' owners have Madoff-related issues.

Maybes: I do not know what the Cubs or Braves are capable of, financially.

George

BoSox haven't signed Gonzo long term yet. I know they are waiting to see how his shoulder holds up, but they might be a player in a Pujols lottery. They could end up moving Gonzo to DH or split time between Gonzo and Pujols for both 1B and DH.

I can't see the Yanks being a player, but never count 'em out.

Would be odd seeing ol' Albert in Cubby Blue or Dodger Blue.

Some speculation that Pujols is a bit older than his birth certificate states, so anyone giving him 8-10 years is taking a huge gamble. He's good, but paying someone, through their early 40's, 20 or so percent of payroll, is not a good idea.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
The local sports radio had a guy from SI on the other day, and he said he expects the Rangers and Angels to be the top contenders. I don't think the Cubs or Dodgers have that kind of money to throw at Pujols.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I will tell you all......"I told you so" in September...you are wrong

The Cardinals will sign him

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I will tell you all......I told you so in September...you are wrong

The Cardinals will sign him

If they give him 10 years & $30 Mil/year, the Cardinals are stupider than I ever thought possible.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
He very well may get 300 mil over 20 years..but only play 8 more.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cardinal management must not have wanted to play the money game. It's always easier to sign a contract prior to a player going into free agency. They almost always cost more once they enter free agency. If the Dewitt Clan (owners) had showed some creativity they might have been able to get Albert and his agent to save face and sign a lesser contract or a contract with performance clauses. The Dewitt clan probably has the money, but not the inclination to take such a risk over 10 years. Frankly, I'm disgusted that Pujols will probably walk and the Cardinal organization with have there own version of the curse of the Babe.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Curse was overrated. It only took the BoSox 86 years to overcome it. Big Grin yankees

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Albert's performance opening day, maybe the Cardinals don't want him.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep he sucks!!! Probably only worth 298 million now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he doesn't turn it around fast and hard, he may be lucky to get a contract extension...

I think his free agency is making him a headcase.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If he doesn't turn it around fast and hard, he may be lucky to get a contract extension...

Rich

He's not going to accept a contract extension. Albert is just getting off to a slow start, feels the team is on his shoulders with the injuries and losses this season. He'll get it figured out and by June will probably be the same MVP contender he's been since he was brought up. Were it not for Barry Bonds, Pujols might very well have 8 MVP's.

Even if he does have an off year, as long as it is not related to injury or speculation that he's much older than claimed (which is rumored), He'll get the 180M salary range, whether for 10 years or 6 years. Angels, Yanks, Red Sox, Rangers, ChiSox, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, even the lowly Mariners (unless Smoak really begins to live up to his potential) will give him that, if only as a DH.

Were I him, and I know I'm not, I'd give preference to an AL team. Thought being, he'd get more rest while getting the at-bats he wants. Let's face it, no first baseman, like left field, ever got into the Hall or made their legacy on defense. It's an offensive position. If he gets the opportunity to platoon between 1B and DH, it extends his career, pads his stats and extends his career. Both BoSox and Yanks will give that great consideration, as will every other AL team that has money to spend, especially the Angels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich

He's not going to accept a contract extension. Albert is just getting off to a slow start, feels the team is on his shoulders with the injuries and losses this season. He'll get it figured out and by June will probably be the same MVP contender he's been since he was brought up. Were it not for Barry Bonds, Pujols might very well have 8 MVP's.

Even if he does have an off year, as long as it is not related to injury or speculation that he's much older than claimed (which is rumored), He'll get the 180M salary range, whether for 10 years or 6 years. Angels, Yanks, Red Sox, Rangers, ChiSox, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, even the lowly Mariners (unless Smoak really begins to live up to his potential) will give him that, if only as a DH.

Were I him, and I know I'm not, I'd give preference to an AL team. Thought being, he'd get more rest while getting the at-bats he wants. Let's face it, no first baseman, like left field, ever got into the Hall or made their legacy on defense. It's an offensive position. If he gets the opportunity to platoon between 1B and DH, it extends his career, pads his stats and extends his career, it's the smart move and only pride or ignorance will prevent that. Both BoSox and Yanks will give that great consideration, as will every other AL team that has money to spend, especially the Angels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he doesn't get over this slump soon he's not going to command 30 million per year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's just take a look at his stats.

There are four other Cards with a better batting average. Three, iirc, have more HR's and more RBI's. Berkman and Holliday are the #1 and #2 average leaders in the NL at least. Pujols is at .261...?

I also think Pujols may be the MLB leader into grounding into double plays.

Last night he hit four straight ground balls to Rollins at Short. The last was an inning ending DP.

If the players union keeps pushing he and his agent to hold out for $30 million a year and a guaranteed 10 year contract he is a dead man.

Officially, he is 31, might actually be year or two older.

I personally believe he is cursing himself and his agent for not taking the deal the Cards offered him three months ago. $30M/10Y is inside his head and is going to stay there.

The ribs are a chronic injury, and the wrist shot is not going to help him.

The Houston Astros Team just sold for the second largest amount in MLB history at $680 million. You really think Pujols is worth almost half that?

I believe that come the end of the season, if he is not hitting over .300, with at least 50HR and 135 RBIs; the Cardinals are going to wish him the best of luck in the market and sit back and watch the show.

A-rod's deal with the Rangers showed the folly of overpaying one player. How much money did that leave them for twenty-four other players? They ended up having to deal him to the only team interested, the NYY. And, they had to pay $8 million a year of his salary to get the yankees to take him.

His image is well tarnished in StL by now. I have a friend that works at the paper there. The estimate, should they be foolish to go $30M/10Y, and just over three million thru the turnstiles last year, is that the price of every ticket in the ballpark would have to go up $17 to cover that deal. If he hurts himself and does not play every game during that ten year span...

I feel sorry for him, the man simply cannot win.

Rich

this saddens me more than any non-Cardinals Fan can understand.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if these contract negotiations are messing with his head? I'd like to see him out of the #3 slot until his hitting improves.

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
My Brother in Law knows Pujols and his wife pretty well through business dealings. The problem as he sees it is that Pujol's wife is very manipulative and definately wears the pants in the family. She is the one insisting on the 10 year/300 Mil. deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rams had a quarterback with a wife like that.
Real Yapper, as I recall. She ran her mouth until he got traded. Two years later she and her purple hairdo and fourteen year old (girl) clothing style were divorced...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lance Berkman is maybe 5 years older and maybe less than that. Right now I would rather see them Keep Berkman. Albert has hurt them as much as he's helped this year. I don't know but it seems to me that he must be leading the league in double plays. Sure been a bunch of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They get Berkman and Halliday (sp?) for less money.

Pujols was closing in on the Mendoza Line.

By time the season is over, if not already, he is/will be wishing he had taken the deal the Cards offered him in January. Those numbers may not even be available by the All-Star break.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear from the "What have you done for me lately" crowd.

Albert will fit in nicely with any of say 6 to 8 teams that will gladly make room for him and write him a monster check.
I do hope the first of those are the Cards though.

I will also bet any of you he still finishes with a .300 BA, 100 RBI, 100 RS, and 30 HR to prolong his record. (I will remind you all of this in late Sept)

Lance was a great pickup in the off season and I would hate to see what we would be doing without him. But......

He is no Albert Pujols there has NEVER been a player with his numbers in the history of the game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Albert's going to hit those figures he had better hurry up and get started. The Cardinals can get Berkman and Holliday for what Pujols will cost. $300,000,000.00 and a 10 year contract is a lot of money for somebody who is already showing signs of being past his prime. I'am a life long Cardinal fan and sure hope he breaks this slump and winds up staying with the Cardinals, but 300 million dollars is a lot of money. What is that going to leave to pay for the rest of the team. He can't win ball games by himself.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I agree...I look at it as back-pay. I don't have to write the check so it's easy to say pay him. It is a ton of money but he generates TONS in St. Louis. When I visit the ball park I see hundreds of Pujols jerseys if not thousands he is the most popular player in Missouri (All Sports)

But the difference between .260 (NOW) and .300 (end of season based on 500 at bats) is just 1.2 more hits a week. His numbers will be there. Berkman is great (now) but the last two years he has not been.

Hell the lowley Cubs have a payroll that is 27.6 more than the Cardinals and the "small market team" Twins are 14 million more than St. Louis.

St Louis ranks 12 out of 30 for payroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not like the 14,200,000.00 or 14,500,000.00 (different sources report slightly different amounts), that he's getting now isn't still a pretty good salary. I know some have signed for more recently, but 300 million is too high for any ball player. The entire Astros team just sold for a little over 700 million. I hope they can meet with a compromise.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I think whoever signs him will not fork over 300 million for ten years but if the number is 300 it will be structured over more years....into retirement.

Funny though, he is not the highest paid player on his team but is not even in the top ten in the National league.

The best offensive player in my life! Not a bad glove either...Gold Glove winner.

I am not of the "What have you done for me lately" crowd.

If the Cardinals won't pay him, someone will and they will have one hell of a player.

I just hope he goes to another division…..he would kill the Cardinals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still hoping the Cardinals are able to sign him, but I doubt if they have Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman both next year.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
WOW

The "What have you done for me lately" crowd should be happy.

BA is up 18 points this week (.278) and he is now tied for 3rd in the league for HR's

After this weekend's 2 walk off homers I doubt the Cubs think he is washed up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed Sundays game, but he's sure looking like he's getting warmed up. 4 home runs and some doubles in the 6 previous games, looks good.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Now with a broken wrist his future is uncertain for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all ball players have an injury that side lines them for a while. Hopefully it won't hurt him too bad.

Wow, where would the Cards be at now without Berkman. What a lucky pick-up that was.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
A broken wrist for a hitter is bad....he's haveing a down year (BA) thats for sure 300 million.....thats funny now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a strong finish he'll be doing good to equal his current salary of about 14.5- 15.5 million. That broken wrist is probably going to hold him back big time.
The Cardinals have looked though good since Freeze and Punto came back. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is starting to look just a wee bit brittle. How many games has he missed the prior two seasons with the rib injuries? Now, the wrist. The wrist will never be 100% again, and the second rib injury was a repeat of the same area and injury. I think the word for that is chronic.

He is 31 or 32 now, and I believe time will show he made a major mistake not taking the Cardinals up on their offer in Spring Training.

The market has not been real big on buying history lately. I read that there is a depression taking place the last three years or so; and no sign of improvement.

The team that signs him for ten years at close to thirty million a year (IMHO) will be in the same economic plight as the Rangers found themselves in when they wrote A-Rod that fat check. It likely brought that team to the edge of bankruptcy. They had to eat 9 million dollars a year of the salary the Yankees are paying to get rid of him. Soooooooooooo, figuring that in, the Yankees are paying A-Rod about 18 million a year, and Albert will need get the Cardinals into the World Series and be voted MVP to get close to that number. Anywhere...

JMHO,

Rich

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yea he sucks....brittle?

No Cardinal in the last 10 years has played in as many games as he has.

A-Rod is getting 275 Mil on his new deal with NY with 31 mil being paid out this year. The Texas deal is water under the bridge.

Pujols is on his way to another .300/100/100/30 year.

I don't care what they pay him....he has been the face of the Cardinals for many years now and is re-writing the Cardinals and MLB record books.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Fatuous record; nobody else on the current roster has been there more than six or seven years.

We must wait and see what 2012 brings Albert and the Cardinals.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert sure heals quick, another homer last night. clap

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
11 strait years 30 HR's as of just now....up next

100 RBI
100 RS
.300 BA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That .300 BA is going to be tough, they said a couple nights ago that he'd have to hit over .340 from now until the end of the season. I watch almost every game on T.V. He's back to his old self, just had a big hole to climb out of on that BA. Cardinals are going to have to put it together if they're going to catch Milwaukee

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
With just two weeks left Albert is back to his old self

BTW BA is now .301