THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports  Hop To Forums  Baseball    Red Sox trump the Yankees!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Sox trump the Yankees!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
Big money spending aside, the Red Sox sure have come up with a couple nice signings since the Yankess spent a billion or so on Texeira, CC and the rest of their merry gang.

You have to like them getting John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli today. The Red Sox are extremely deep in quality pitching. Now, if they can just re-sign Varitek, they've got all the pieces in place.

Posts: 3836 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubtful that Smoltz will even be able to pitch until June and no one is sure exactly which disease Baldelli has.

While I do believe the Sox signings are low risk with a potential for high reward, the Yankees have actually decreased payroll and added much needed pitching, defense and hitting this offseason. I don't think there is any way anyone can claim, at this stage, that Boston's signings are as good as the Yankees.

It does remain to be seen if the ground the Yanks needed to make up has been made up. My opinion, the Yanks outfield and setup-relief contingent aren't as impressive as Boston's or the Rays. However, what pitcher in the world would want to face the first 5 hitters in the Yanks line-up this season (Damon-Jeter-Rodriguez-Teixeira-Matsui). After the first five, there is still Posada, Nady/Swisher and Cano to face.

Boston has a better defensive club, but I'd take the Yanks starting 5 pitchers and their offensive lineup over the Sox right now.

Not sure if Damon, Matsui, Posada, Burnett or Hughes can remain healthy the entire season, but I don't think Ortiz, Lowell, Ellsbury, Drew, Beckett or Smoltz will either.

Don't forget, Jeter wasn't the same after getting plunked on the hand by Cabrerra last year, A-Rod missed 3 weeks due to a freak quad tear, Hughes' injury wasn't his pitching arm and Wang hurt his foot (broken?) while running the bases. These three injuries should not re-occur this season. I also think Cano will have a year similar to his 2007 production.

Beckett's injury was directly related to pitching, Ortiz's wrist and knees are breaking down, Lowell is coming off hip surgery and no one knows how he will respond (hence Boston going after Teixeira). Unlike a lot of baseball fans, I don't believe Pedroia and Youk's season were flukes. I believe those guys are that good and will put up similar numbers this year. I would bet that Ellsbury doesn't take quite as many risks in the field, which should help his offense.

Both teams are likely to suffer at the catching position for defense and hitting. Both middle relief cores aren't outstanding, so starting pitching is really going to have to perform.

I like Lester. I think he'll have a great year. I think Matsusaki will finally get bitten by his high pitch counts and walks.

Of course, the Mariners are gonna suck really bad again this year, so it doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally, I'd like to see the Mariners trade Bedard to the Yanks for Matsui and Nady/Swisher. I can't believe the Mariners outfield this year. I can't remember when its been this bad. Not only that, but catching is bad, starting pitching is bad (past Bedard and Felix) and the infield isn't anything to write home about, outside of Beltre. I think Betancourt will improve, but has a long way to go to become anything like an offensive threat. Just sad really...

The AL East is going to be interesting to watch, as is the NL East.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Wow, finally someone who can talk intelligently about the game. Nice summary. Not sure I agree with all of it, but you've made some excellent points. It is going to be interesting watching the AL east this year.

I'm hoping to have a reason to go to Boston sometime this season. One of the players I formerly coached in the summer is now the Red Sox #1 prospect in their minor league system, and there's quite a bit of speculation that he'll get a call up at some point this season. His name is Lars Anderson, he's a big left handed power hitting first baseman. When he eventually gets the call, I've told him I'm flying back to watch his first games. I'm very much looking forward to that.

Posts: 3836 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've heard a lot about Lars. The kid should be something special when the Sox bring him up. I know he's been invited to Spring Training. If I were Theo, I'd bring him up a few times during the year to get him some at-bats in the Show. If Lowell goes down, or his hip isn't healed, Lars might be on a short learning curve. They have Kotsay, but Lars is the future there and just needs some experience at that level.

I'd love to see a game at Fenway. Wrigley as well.

posted Hide Post
CAelknuts,

It remains to be seen whether the Yankees have filled all their gaps (if they have, watch out!), but except for Youkilis and Papelbon, the BoSox signed bit players, many of them of dim accomplishments or suspect health.

I would not consider anything the BoSox have done so far as "trumping" the Yankees. Of course, RedSox fans have to try to convince themselves of their team's supposed superiority every day of their lives. Hence, their inability to dispassionately discuss the other teams in their division.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Yankees have become a "team" in name only. More like an amalgamation of dysfunctional misfits. I would be surprised if any of their off-season acquisitions will be the antidote to their poisoned chemistry.

Witness the excerpts recently published from Joe Torre's scathing new book.

He really ripped into A-Fraud (apparently, that's his knickname even inside the Yankees' clubhouse!), and was critical of other players as well as the brass. But who isn't critical of the brass?

And, of course, many of the same players of whom Torre was so critical are still playing for the Yankees.

And Torre has (or at least had, in his pre-Yankees days) the reputation of being a mild-mannered gentleman!

Torre might as well have entitled his book "The Worst Team That Money Can Buy." I am doubtful that the money can overcome the systemic issues. We shall see soon enough.

Oh . . . and I almost forgot - just for you George Cool - Go Sox! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13346 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MR,

It's always fun to talk baseball with BoSox fans; they're so deluded. lol

Explain to me again how the eight years the Yankees have gone without a title is somehow worse than the eighty-six years the Red Sox went without a title (with almost sixty of those years being pre-Steinbrenner) . bewildered

Explain to me again how the twenty-six titles (with twenty of those being pre-Steinbrenner) the Yankees won are somehow inferior to the eight the Red Sox have won?

Explain to me again how the six titles the Yankees won under Steinbrenner are somehow inferior to the two the Red Sox have won in the same period?

Explain to me again how despite Red Sox fans' claims that the Red Sox are a 'better team', the Yankees usually win the regular season series?

While you're trying to come up with those explanations, I NEVER liked Joe Torre.

Joe Torre was a loser before he came to the Yankees, as both a player and a manager. The champion Yankees teams he coached were assembled by Buck Showalter. Thanks to those Yankees teams, he may be inducted into the Hall of Fame; I doubt he'll win another title.

Oh, yeah. yankees

George
P.S. The Yanks have a large payroll, but they make about $900 million a year, just from their sports network. Admissions, concessions, and other income are on top of that. So they're not even using 25% of their income on payroll. THAT is a well-run enterprise.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Now that February is almost upon us, you guys are finally waking up. This looks like we're gonna have some fun shortly. Yeah, the Yankees have the history, but that is what it is - HISTORY. The here and now is why the Red Sox fans are so encouraged, and for the record, I am not a Red Sox fan. I'm a Giants fan, painful as that is lately.

DPhillips, Lars is going to do just fine. He's a special young man who has his head firmly seated upon his shoulders. He doesn't get too high, or too low. He leaves for big leage camp in about 10 days, and he can't wait, he's very excited to get back on the field. The Sox just had a mini camp type of workout a month or so ago, and he was pretty much the story of the camp with the way he swung the bat. He expects to start in AA and isn't looking beyond that at this point. He knows he hasn't proven anything yet, and that until he succeeds at AA, he won't get to find out what AAA or the Big Leagues are like. On the other hand....he did get invited to a pre-season game the Sox played last year against the Dodgers, and he got a base hit off Chan Ho Park in his first at-bat. That game was played at the LA Coliseum, so it was a very neat experience for him. He's got game, serious game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAelk,
I heard that Mark Kotsay just had back surgery. Lars may have an even more advanced learning curve, especially if Lowell isn't 100%. A lot of pressure will be on him if the Sox are contenders when he's brought up and has to face guys like Halladay, Sabathia, Burnett, Chamberlin, Sonenstine, et al... The AL East is loaded with good arms this year. I hope he does well.

For a long while, I thought the Yankees were lying back and ready to pounce on Manny, but doesn't look like that is the case. Even though they have an overloaded outfield and DH positions, I really suspected they'd go after Manny. I guess not. I don't think they actually need him, but the lineup of Damon, Jeter, A-Rod (I would hit him 3rd), then Teixeira and Manny, would have reduced opposing pitchers to jelly. Especially followed up with Posada, Nady, Cano... I still think the Yanks have the advantage.

Wonder where Manny will wind up? I don't like the guy, would not want him on any team I was managing, but the guy can rake. Might be the prettiest swing of any right handed batter, ever (ever notice how left handed hitters always have the prettiest swings?).

I don't think there is any other team in the AL that can compare through the entire season with the Yanks, Red Sox, and Rays in the AL East. My surprise team in the AL would be the A's, but don't think they'll handle the Angels pitching very well. The White Sox can be very good, but their pitching is lacking.

The NL can be interesting, especially if a contending team can trade for Peavy. As it stands, I think the Muts, er I mean Mets, have the best team. They've addressed the only weakness they had the last few years (bullpen).

Could be another subway series if the teams stay healthy (which no one team ever does).

I expect the Mariners to win between 62-70 games. A lot will depend on guys that are either going to be playing their first full season or haven't performed worth a hoot in the past. Sigh...

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, I agree with you that, ON PAPER, the Yankees have the best team in the universe. Trouble is, the game is played on a beautiful green field, and they haven't always realized their potential there. If they play like they can, it'll be another Yankees pennant, but past history suggests that isn't going to happen.

As for Lars, he's only 21, so he still has a lot to learn. The good thing is nobody knows that better than him. He has his first invite to big league camp, and is leaving this coming week. He's as excited as a 3 year old at Christmas! He loves playing the game, and recently told me "until I prove I can succeed at AA, it won't matter what is above that level". I thought that was a very mature statement for such a young man. Of course, he's one of the most cerebral young men I've ever known.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all the nonsense surrounding the Yankees, especially with the report of A-Rod testing positive for PEDs in 2003, they may have too much drama surrounding them to perform at their peak. In that division, a game here and there can mean the difference between the playoffs and third place...

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Spring training hasn't even started, and you're already making excuses for the Evil Empire? Eeker

Wow, I thought they should be unstoppable with their signings!?!?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAelknuts:
Spring training hasn't even started, and you're already making excuses for the Evil Empire? Eeker

Wow, I thought they should be unstoppable with their signings!?!?

I'm not making excuses for the Empire, not a fan of anything East Coast... But, I am a fan of the game, regardless of who is playing. Would thrill me to see Seattle playing the Marlins in the World Series this year, or even the Astros... Just don't think I could stomach the smack spoken by Cubs fans should they win (even though they do have a chance if they get hot at the right time).

However, I hate to see BS take away from good teams or players. I think Veritek was affected severly last year by his off the field personal problems. He's been a great backstop and should always remembered for that, not for hitting .220 in the year he got a divorce.

What I want to see is great players and great teams play the game the best they can. Right now, beyond the bs, I believe the Yanks have the best team in the game. Whether they can overcome the off the field stuff and play to their potential is a different story.

We all talk about how great of a season teams would have without the various injuries suffered, but injuries are part of it. Griffey Jr was the greatest pure athlete (in my opinion) to ever play the game, but injuries did a number on him. He's still a unanimous first ballot HOF'er, I think, but what made him great on the field led to down years. Players like 'tek and others, should be remembered for what they did on the field beyond the outside influences.

Maybe its because A-Rod came up with Seattle, or that entire class of shortstops of him, Jeter, Rey Ordenez, Nomar and the others impressed me for so long, but I really want to see them do well. As a matter of fact, there's not a single player I have ever wanted to do badly, but have wanted some others to do better.

There are fans of players or fans of teams. I'm a fan of the game itself.... For what its worth.

Seattle is going to suck, unfortunately...

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are a fan of the game, and one more knowledgable than most. I am finding that I always enjoy reading your posts.

For what it's worth, the Yankees have had the most talent for several years now, and it hasn't taken them to the WS. On a competitive balance level, I hope the Red Sox and/or Rays get there again. It'll never stop the Evil Empire from continuing their free spending ways, but the smaller market teams need to get in there (Not that Boston is a smaller market team, not at all).

By the way, you forgot to include the best defensive shortstop among that elite group you mentioned - Omar Vizquel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
soooooooooooooo...
Which one of these two are my St Louis Cardinals going to whup in the World Series?

that is the important question.

Rich
Buff Killer
Cards fan since 1954 when my dad started taking me to games

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
soooooooooooooo...
Which one of these two are my St Louis Cardinals going to whup in the World Series?

that is the important question.

Rich
Buff Killer
Cards fan since 1954 when my dad started taking me to games

The Mariners!!! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAelknuts:
By the way, you forgot to include the best defensive shortstop among that elite group you mentioned - Omar Vizquel.

Omar was a great player and I think he still has a lot to offer, especially in mentoring younger players. I suspect he will become a great coach/manager at some point if he wishes to pursue that path. I've always liked Omar. He's been an absolute defensive animal his entire career. The reason I didn't mention him was because he is about 5-6 years older than the rest of that group. Ordonez and A-Rod came up at 18-19 and Jeter and Nomar are the same age. Guess Tejada could be included, but can't remember the year he came up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
CAelk,
I heard that Mark Kotsay just had back surgery....

Latest report from BoSox is Drew's back is still painful from the herinated disk he suffered last year, but opted not to have surgery on during the offseason. Pedroia is saying that Ellsbury has a killer offseason and is expecting great things from him.

Sox fans need for Baldelli to have his issues under control, they're going to need him because Drew will need plenty of time off...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sox should do fine.......if they win 110 games because that's what it's gonna take to win the AL East friends. First staff since way back is going to have five 15 game winners....and that would be CC, AJ, CW, Andy, and Joba.....maybe even get 1 or 2 20 game winners in that bunch. I still wish we had Lowell instead of A-roid....but you can't have everything.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowell is something, isn't he? Poor guy doesn't get the credit he deserves. I don't think I'd trade Alex for him, though. Late 30's coming off of hip surgery... He's one of my favorite players in the entire MLB, but the MLB is a business and doesn't put fans in the seats like Rodriguez does...

Good news for us Northwest fans, Junior is returning home for his last hurrah. No, no one expects him to be "The Kid" that he was when he played for Seattle in years past, but it is the return of the player that saved baseball in Seattle. Whether he hits 290 with 30 home runs and 120 rbi's or he hits 220 with 10 home runs and 70 rbi's, the prodigal son has returned home. That's all that matters. I do hope he has a fantastic final season, but I'm not expecting him too. As long as Seattle supports him is all that matters.

Certainly no pressure on him to do anything, the Mariners have as much of a shot at the MLB playoffs as the Durham Bulls, Memphis Chicks or Nashville Sounds...

One of Us
Picture of DICKY1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
The Yankees have become a "team" in name only. More like an amalgamation of dysfunctional misfits. I would be surprised if any of their off-season acquisitions will be the antidote to their poisoned chemistry.

Witness the excerpts recently published from Joe Torre's scathing new book.

He really ripped into A-Fraud (apparently, that's his knickname even inside the Yankees' clubhouse!), and was critical of other players as well as the brass. But who isn't critical of the brass?

And, of course, many of the same players of whom Torre was so critical are still playing for the Yankees.

And Torre has (or at least had, in his pre-Yankees days) the reputation of being a mild-mannered gentleman!

Torre might as well have entitled his book "The Worst Team That Money Can Buy." I am doubtful that the money can overcome the systemic issues. We shall see soon enough.

Oh . . . and I almost forgot - just for you George Cool - Go Sox! Big Grin

YANKS WIN THE WORLD SERIES, AGAIN!!!!!!

Posts: 57 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
BAH!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
BAH!

Typical Sox fan......sore loser. coffee

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
BAH!

Yep a Yanks fan...
Bet you love the Giants too!

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
BAH!

Yep a Yanks fan...
Bet you love the Giants too!

I grew up 20 mins. from Giants Stadium.....Giants, Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers are my teams. NYG were absolutely dreadful this year, D sucked more than anything.

Do I recognize your handle from NEHN??????