THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With holding $ MLB pay ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me where to find a "diagram" or pay sheet of what a ball player really ends up with?

That is 1,000,000 a year
- 100,000 agent percentage
- ?? FED TAX
_ ?? FICA
_ ?? State and local city taxes
etc..... etc..
=_________?
Thanks

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question depends on many variables.

First, the commission an agent takes is nowhere near 10%. It is often under 5%. Taxes and other costs will depend on which state the player is emloyed in. The tax consequences of a California or New York team player are much different than a Florida or Texas based player. Different still for a player based in Canada who is with the Blue Jays.

Players also get MLB licensing money from all of the merchandise that is sold, and that can be a substantial amount each year. For those who go to the playoffs, the bonus depends on how far they go, but figure that they're all getting a six figure bonus for the playoffs, and if they win the World Series, it is very substantial. The players actually vote on shares of these bonuses, and who gets what percentage.

Another piece of the puzzle has to do with "major league service time." For each year that a player is on a 25 man roster, he gets service time credit toward the MLB pension. It fully vests at 10 years of time in the big leagues, and provides fully vested pensioners with approximately $165,000 per year.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CA,
Any idea what % the players pay into the player's union?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Gee, I wish I'd seen this about 4 hours ago. I just got back from working at my duck club with a buddy who played MLB and has been a coach ever since retiring. He's got more than 7 years of big league service time, so I could have asked him.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote