THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rankings?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone want to take a stab at how the teams will end up this year?

AL East
NY Yankees
Boston Red Sox (wildcard)
Tampa Bay Rays
Baltimore Orioles
Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central (who the hell knows?)
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Minnesota Twins
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals

AL West
LA Angels
Oakland A's
Texas Rangers
Seattle Mariners (worst record in AL)

NL East
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies (wildcard)
Florida Marlins
Atlanta Braves
Washington Nationals

NL Central
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwuakee Brewers
Cincinnati Reds
Houston Astros
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West
LA Dodgers
San Francisco Giants
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies
San Diego Padres (they'll trade Peavy by All-Star break)

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
What's to guess? I think you just came up with the almost perfect pre-season guess. About the only one I can see as much different might be to switch the Yankees and Red Sox. I just have to see the Yankees actually win it before I'll believe it. Every year, they're the team to beat, and lately that's what has happened.

By the way, COLLEGE BASEBALL STARTED TODAY!!!! I went to watch the Oregon Ducks at St. Mary's Gaels. Oregon, playing their first baseball game in 27 years, won a sloppy 5-3 game. It looked like early season ball, too many mistakes.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the divisions, the AL East is the biggest wild guess. Boston, New York, and Tampa Bay all have a shot at winning the division. A game or two here and there will spell division champs vs 3rd place.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see those 3 teams with 90+ wins each (almost happened last year).

Like most baseball folks say, every team is going to win 60 games, they're all gonna lose 60 games, it's what happens in the other 42 that makes the difference.

That's one great thing about baseball, nobody knows what is going to happen until the games are played. I actually think the NL West is going to be pretty interesting too. While it is a weak division, it could be a real horse race between Arizona, LA and San Fran. AL Central is much the same way. Chicago, Cleveland and Minnesota all have a shot. KC might end up being a real problem for a couple of those teams.

Gotta love the game.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I also like your picks, D.

Although I do hope you got the top two in the AL East switched around. Big Grin

Living in the Boston area is fun these days for a sports fan, and a baseball fan in particular.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't nobody know where the AL east is going to end up... Honestly, with the Rays having the youth and talent, they could be numero uno... They are a force to be reckoned with. But...

If the Red Sox get the talent they expect at the health they hope, well... it would be impossible to argue with that.

If the Empire gets the talent they expect at the health they hope, nobody even comes close...

What it will come down to, at least in the AL East, is health.

I'm more interested in the surprise teams. I'm not an AL East fan, though I do enjoy watching great teams and players make the game what it is, but the surprise teams hold a special place for me. Baltimore has a chance, as does St. Louis or Arizona or even Cincy... I just want to see great teams, players, and the new guys do great. Well, I do want see guys like Smotlz, Weathers, and Griffey have great seasons. Same goes with Jeter and Ortiz. Can't think of anything better than the Sox and Yankees going neck and neck all season with the Rays right there with young guys like Price and Longoria having awe-inspiring seasons, competing for the crown of the best division in baseball. Or, having Junior having a banner year for a final season in Seattle. Or, having A-Rod and Ortiz, under the supsicions they have, competing for MVP. Hope there are 20 twenty game winners for the various pitching staffs,the MVP races are so close we'll be talking about them for years to come (DiMaggio vs. Williams, 56 game hitting streak vs. 406 avg.) and one player who is in the minors at the beginning of the season is the guy that turns into a Griffey Jr, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, or Alex Rodriguez.

I don't think there will ever be another Babe Ruth. Not the way he changed the game and impacted America's culture. However, there's another Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez out there. With today's technology, heath research, chemistry, and knowledge (or the advancement thereof) of baseball science, we will see a great season with surprises and un-imaginable plays...

It really is the greatest game.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Cardinals look realy bad on paper....so they will be tough in the NL cent. The Cubs??? Come on stop kidding.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
The NL Central is going to be interesting. I think the Reds have a chance to be a surprise team. Seems like they have a lot of potential if everything goes right (which it seldom ever does).

Milton Bradley is the key to the Cubs this year. If he can stay healthy, they have they best shot (on paper) of winning the NLC. Fukudome is having a pretty good WBC right now, while playing center instead of his more comfortable position in right. I don't think Lou will give him another big chance if Bradley stays healthy though. Lou is probably the biggest asset the Cubs have. I like Lou, wish he was still the Mariners Manager...

Pujols is the best hitter in the game, but he has had a hard time staying healthy the past few years. I do hope his elbow holds up this year. He's in his prime and it would be interesting to see what he can do in his prime and healthy all year long. They've got a great outfield too. They're pitching is a question mark, from what I understand. I don't get to watch much of the NL Central. The games just aren't broadcast up here very often, other than the Cubs. No, MLBTV isn't available up here yet, either...

one of us
posted Hide Post
After 35 +/- games, my picks look like a first grader made them...

Teams are gonna have to start kicking it in gear if my picks play out. Of course, they could just be flat out wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, these weren't that bad.

Next season is just a bit more then 4 monthes off....

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote