THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How 'bout them Cubs!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
shut out two games in a row. The last time was in 1904 when the White Sox did it to them.

Are we seeing an historic meltdown, the proportions of which date back 112 years...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the Cubs meltdown it is never historic- it's just a repetition of history. Even though they are up 3-2, in the event that they do win the pennant I look for Cleveland to mop-up on them. but I could be wrong and if so, Go Cubs!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They're going to the World Series.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cubs- as a team are no longer held together by chewing gum; but then, neither are the Bears.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go Cubs! Hope the bats stay hot from the NLCS. I'm 100% sure the team with the red "C" on their uniform will win tonight's opener.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, today I saw where 3 of 4 experts are picking the Indians in six. I hope (think) they are wrong.

Looking forward to see who scores first. The two teams that deserved to be in the World Series actually got there. Good on them both.

If the Cubs win in Cleveland tonight, I think you have your winner.

Posts: 13750 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

never underestimate the meltdown ability of the Cubbies.

7-2 and a 3-1 lead for Cleveland. If the Cubs want to make it to Cleveland, they have to win tomorrow night.

Odds...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have watched some of a couple of the games. I live in Ohio but grew up on the northside of Chicago. I am a Cubs fan but, no longer fanatical. In the loses it seemed like the cubs were very uptight, more worried about losing than winning. The Indians look loose and like they are having fun. Most of the games have been close, good baseball being played by both. It is the Indians to lose now.

Go Cubs!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Save some for tomorrow, Cubbies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Whoopeeeeee! (Nephew in Chicago is happy.)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cubbies. What a great World Series! clap

Mike

Posts: 21051 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched until the ninth inning. I had to work today and being tired only makes 12 hours go slower. It seemed like the Indians momentum was building. I checked the results when I got up this morning. I am sure it was/is crazy in Chicago today. I remember when the '85 Bears won the Super Bowl, this is much bigger!

Go Cubs!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Kensco,

never underestimate the meltdown ability of the Cubbies.

7-2 and a 3-1 lead for Cleveland. If the Cubs want to make it to Cleveland, they have to win tomorrow night.

Odds...?

How does crow taste?

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That was probably one of the best baseball games that I've seen in years.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Cubs tried very hard to lose this series, and especially, the final game.

But even infield errors galore, and managerial mishaps of unexplainable stupidity (lifting Hendricks for Lester, and later on bringing in an exhausted Chapman - give me a break!), could not stop them from winning.

Not to mention stupendously bad umpiring behind the plate.

Somehow and some way, and unlike the Cubs of old, these boys of autumn pulled off the epic victory of our lifetimes.

Some kind of ball players!

Bravo!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I have been a Cubs fan all my life, and I have lived through all of the disappointments, chokes, missed opportunities .....whatever you want to call them. They were awful. I honestly did not know if I was going to live long enough to see the Cubs win the World Series, so this effort was nothing short of miraculous. I grew up watching the Cubs back when Jack Brickhouse was still the announcer - I watched the day games all summer long in black and white on channel 9, WGN Chicago, broadcast for the top of the Prudential Building (which, way back when, was the tallest building in Chicago). Lead off man (sponsored by Danley Lumber Company, Home of Garage World), would come on at 1 PM with Lloyd Pettit (who also called games for the Blackhawks back then), and the game would follow at 1:15. Lloyd would do an interview down at first base with Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, or one of the other famous Cubs. During the game, when one of the Cubs hit a home run, Jack Brickhouse would flash "Hey, Hey!" at the bottom of the TV screen. Yep, the Cubs sort of stunk back then, but I still loved them.....and now they finally came through winning it all. Harry Carray must still be cheering their praises - may he ever rest in peace - I know I will finally be able to as well.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, I know this is an old link (as Rich was still here) but along those same lines in humor I recommend anyone to google up + listen to Steve Goodman's song "The dying Cub fan's last request". Believe me it is worth your time!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote