THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Season Guesses?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that all players have reported to spring training, and nearly all of the FA have been signed, looks like all the teams are set to start the season with current players and prospects...

Anyone cared to take a guess at how the season will end up?

Honestly, this might be the closest division and league races we've seen in quite some time. Nearly every division has 3 teams that can contend, and some have very probable spoilers that can end up vying for the division title or deciding its outcome.

Unless injuries take place or big trades are made, here's my guess (and it is a wild guess)...

AL East
NY Yankees (if Rays are out by the deadline, and Yanks trade for Crawford, mindboggling)
Boston Red Sox (wildcard, unless they A-Gon midseason, then put them in 1st)
Tampa Bay Rays
Baltimore Orioles
Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central (who the hell knows, any of the top 3 could win)
Minnesota Twins
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals
Cleveland Indians

AL West (predict the difference between 1st and 3rd being 5 games or less)
LA Angels
Seattle Mariners (look to be a player if A-Gon is traded, if they get him, they'll win it all)
Texas Rangers
Oakland A's

NL East
Philadelphia Phillies
New York Mets
Atlanta Braves
Florida Marlins
Washington Nationals (my prediction for most improved team)

NL Central
St Louis Cardinals
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
Milwuakee Brewers
Houston Astros
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West (no more than 7 wins seperating 1st and 3rd)
Colorado Rockies
LA Dodgers
Arizona Diamondbacks
San Francisco Giants
San Diego Padres (trade Adrian Gonzalez by the deadline)

Honestly believe that only the NL Central winner (Cards) is a given. Any other division will be a dogfight, no more than 3-5 wins seperating title and 2nd place).

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your picks are actually pretty close to mine. I don't pay much mind to the AL, but the NL should be fun.

Couple dark horses to keep a eye on:
Atlanta(They seem hungry and I just don't think the phils are as tough as many think)
San. Fran.(Odds are long here, I admit, but they're one big hitter away from slapping LA about the face and shoulders.)

Cards will take their division because no one else there aparently wants it. The cubs could(I'm certainly hoping so) but there are so many questions and weak-points....Brewers are all hit, no-pitch.
The mets? Only having the nats in the same division keeps them from the cellar.

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Will there even be a second place team in the NL central?

Better yet lets all guess how many games my Cards will be ahead of #2 at the end of the season......12

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Will there even be a second place team in the NL central?

Better yet lets all guess how many games my Cards will be ahead of #2 at the end of the season......12

Depends on how bad Pujols and Holliday are actually hurt. Heard Pujols is day to day right now, but Holliday won't play for another week. Back injury and rib cage injury do not heal well... Keep your fingers crossed.

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I just wish that when my team (KC Royals) would sign someone I didn't find myself saying "I thought he retired".

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Yankees beat the LA Dodgers in 6 in the World Series.

yankees

Don

Posts: 26536 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Don.

Actually, I could be more concise, albeit less specific.

One word: Yankees.

As much as I hate to say it. Mad

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cardinals by nine.

They look pretty good. In 18 minutes they will be on ESPN playing the Phillies. The Phillies will be comatose by the time it filters thru to the other 23 guys that Halladay and Howard have emptied the vault with their deals about the All Star break.

I'll be sitting in the stands in three weeks on Memorial Day Weekend to see my boys in red trounce the lowly cubs two games! Wearing my "Beat The Cubs" Cardinal red T-shirt. As seen in my pictures at the taxidermist in rural Steenbokpan earlier this month.

Rich
DRSS
Go Cards!!!!!!!!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten weeks later, it looks like I was correct!

Friggin Cubs are roadkill, again...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
Now that all players have reported to spring training, and nearly all of the FA have been signed, looks like all the teams are set to start the season with current players and prospects...

Anyone cared to take a guess at how the season will end up?

Honestly, this might be the closest division and league races we've seen in quite some time. Nearly every division has 3 teams that can contend, and some have very probable spoilers that can end up vying for the division title or deciding its outcome.

Unless injuries take place or big trades are made, here's my guess (and it is a wild guess)...

AL East
NY Yankees (if Rays are out by the deadline, and Yanks trade for Crawford, mindboggling)
Boston Red Sox (wildcard, unless they A-Gon midseason, then put them in 1st)
Tampa Bay Rays
Baltimore Orioles
Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central (who the hell knows, any of the top 3 could win)
Minnesota Twins
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals
Cleveland Indians

AL West (predict the difference between 1st and 3rd being 5 games or less)
LA Angels
Seattle Mariners (look to be a player if A-Gon is traded, if they get him, they'll win it all)
Texas Rangers
Oakland A's

NL East
Philadelphia Phillies
New York Mets
Atlanta Braves
Florida Marlins
Washington Nationals (my prediction for most improved team)

NL Central
St Louis Cardinals
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
Milwuakee Brewers
Houston Astros
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West (no more than 7 wins seperating 1st and 3rd)
Colorado Rockies
LA Dodgers
Arizona Diamondbacks
San Francisco Giants
San Diego Padres (trade Adrian Gonzalez by the deadline)

Honestly believe that only the NL Central winner (Cards) is a given. Any other division will be a dogfight, no more than 3-5 wins seperating title and 2nd place).

It's only early August, but I gotta say it. D, your NL west prediction ain't lookin so hot right now. GO GIANTS!!!

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, my AL West predictions ain't looking any better either!

Seriously though, did anyone think San Diego was going to playing as well as they have?

How 'bout the Reds in the Central?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Them friggin' Reds had me worried last Friday. After the sweep, I feel a little better. But, it IS only a game lead.

Rich
You can see the ballpark from my folks kitchen window.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
Yeah, well, my AL West predictions ain't looking any better either!

Seriously though, did anyone think San Diego was going to playing as well as they have?

How 'bout the Reds in the Central?

It's been a weird year for who is winning and who is not. I'm not a Braves fan, but I do think it'd be cool if Bobby Cox got one more ring on his way out the door. And, that's a very real possibility.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the playoffs are shaping up to be very interesting, the team that seems to be hot right now is the Phillies. I just hope the Mariners lose their last two games to insure they get the #2 pick in the draft next year...

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
Yankees beat the LA Dodgers in 6 in the World Series.

yankees

Don

Boy was I wrong.

On both counts.

Go Giants!!!!!

Don

Posts: 26536 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boy was I wrong.

On both counts.

Go Giants!!!!!

Don

OK, Donnie, you've redeemed yourself in many's eyes with that comment. We might even forgive or overlook your political leanings if you root for 'Los Gigantes'.

I'm really hoping for Giants in 6. It'd be just about perfect to have them win at home with Matt Cain on the bump. Of course, they have to win 1 in Texas for that to have a chance of happening. Texas isn't going to roll over. As I always say when coaching, 'there's a reason they play the game'. Can't take anything for granted, and the better team doesn't always win.