THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Baseball Dying?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like it is.....slowly.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wh...-1432136172?mod=mktw

I thought the reference to Willie Mays was amusing. When I was a kid playing ball, I always pretended to be Willie Mays. I'm 68. If you asked a Little Leaguer today who Willie Mays is, I doubt he would have a clue. Sounds like there is a disconnect between what kids want and what their grandparents want for them.

I think baseball won't lose-out to another sport (maybe soccer). I think it will more likely lose-out to video games.

Posts: 13755 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems that everyone is getting used to the indoors.When I was young I would spend all the time outdoors with my friends.There were so many street hockey games going on that the cars could not drive down the streets.Parks were full of people.That was the way of life back then.Baseball will always be my favorite sport.There is nothing like staying out during those long,warm summer days and playing baseball in an organized league with good people.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
A little off thread but MLB plays way too many games. With so many games they don't mean as much. Lose 4 in a row, big deal, 100 plus left to go. I don't follow the way I used too. Players don't play for 1 or 2 teams during their career, they play for multiple teams in one season. They lost me. Pete Rose for mlb commissioner. Lol

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both MLB and NFL are trying to maintain their audience year-round. I think they will cause burn-out eventually. The NFL has fantasy football and made the rookie draft a primetime event. The Rookie Combine is supposedly a big deal.

Just the other day I started hearing the PGA promoting Fantasy Golf.

Basically baseball is losing out unless you can appreciate overpowering pitching and long periods of inaction. Most people can't stay focused that long.

The other thing baseball had going for it was that there were vacant lots everywhere. A neighborhood game was an everyday event. I can't remember the last time I saw neighborhood kids carrying a ball, glove and bat around.

Posts: 13755 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opine that it is more the issue is the current generation's preoccupation with "selfies" and a short attention span.

When I was a kid growing up, I kept a notebook with a pitch by pitch account of every game...

A lack of nickle bubble gum packs these days with a baseball card isn't helping...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on where you are, like most things. In Kansas City, the attendance has tripled in the last three years. Kids started playing it again instead of soccer (talk about boring).

Just depends on where you are.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cards attendance is up as well. It's an odd-numbered year, means it's our turn to go to the World Series again...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Well MLB has died off for me a quick death in 1956. Detroit tigers had some good players and a great pitcher they traded for a old end of playing days fat slug. Jim Bunting pitched some amazing numbers.
Today the Tigers have built a new stadium well Comerica did, no parking lots were put in at the location so parking is cheap at some empty lot at 40.00 per game, 5 dollars for a hot dog and 10.00 for a beer. Then you get to watch a bunch of millionaires play base ball.
Screw that crap get the schedule or the near by college and go watch their games. Parking is free most colleges, hotdogs ate from a buck to 2 bucks.
And they play hard real hard.

When I was a kid it was safe to walk down the road and play a ball game in some ones yard. Isn't safe to walk down a road these days as a kid or even play in a yard unless behind a privacy fence where the pedifiles can't see ya.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
baseball is the only sport i know of where at any given time only 3 of 18 players are doing anything. the other 15 are standing around scratching their nuts and spitting tobacco juice. too much excitement for me.........

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
baseball is the only sport i know of where at any given time only 3 of 18 players are doing anything. the other 15 are standing around scratching their nuts and spitting tobacco juice. too much excitement for me.........

Baseball is only for real athletes.You have to be a very strong and tough fellow to play baseball.You have to have a strong arm to throw the ball well and be able to swing a bat and hit a fast ball.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it also helps to be ambidextrous so you can scratch with either hand, since that's what you are doing 90% of the time.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess our family will be attending two Cardinal wakes on August 11th (Pirates) and August 17th (Giants).

Dinner at Ballpark Village, and plenty of snacks I expect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
baseball is the only sport i know of where at any given time only 3 of 18 players are doing anything

You must have never watched soccer. Success is measured by how much grass grows between goals. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

3 of 18...

sounds like a law firm or fedguv employees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is dying at the majors level.
The Little League World Series is underway now: watch a few games and recall your youth or that of your sons.
Everything is changing.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote