THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardinals?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Man, what a pathetic effort by the redbirds.

Beltran was the only one who showed up.

And even he went home crying to mama, after barely bumping the well-padded wall. Remember Torii Hunter? He missed a much harder catch, but took a much harder fall, and sure as hell stayed in the game.

Another sweep? Like 2004?

Okay with me.

But I did, at least, expect a bit of a fight.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, I'm a life long Cardinals fan. All Cardinals, all the time. I love them, I support them, I can't wait until baseball season begins every year. Now, having said that, the Cardinals played like crap last night. They looked like third-rate little league players. I don't think they could have beaten either the Astros or the Cubs last night. Wainwright's pitching was off, Kozma cost them most of the runs early in the game, Wainwright didn't catch a pop-up that landed at his feet, and the bullpen was awful. I think the Cardinals forgot to bring their bats with them. Terrible performance at the plate. The Cardinals have a scary offensive lineup, but they didn't show up last night. As far as the Cardinal's defense, OMG. Miserable.

As far as Beltran, I suggest you watch what happened again. While Hunter's attempt looked harder than Beltran's, Hunter went with the collision and most of the energy was used up in the flip and the short fall. Beltran took the full force of a running collision on his rib cage with his arms up. He's lucky he didn't break ribs. Also, there isn't all that much padding on that wall. They showed a close-up of the collision with sound. Beltran hit that wall hard and there isn't more than a couple of inches of padding there.

There were a couple of bright spots for the Cards. Holliday and Robinson looked good defensively and Holliday hit a tremendous shot over the Green Monster. Other than that, not a good night or a typical game for the Birds. They better pull their heads out tonight if they want to get serious about winning anything.

Go Cards.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm a Red Sox man, so I took a measure of joy from elements of last night's game -- Lester's pitching, Papi's homer, and USMC Sgt. Dan Clark's spirited rendition of "God Bless America."
But the Cards were way off their game last night. They'll come around and then we will see some outstanding baseball. I think their performance in Game 1 was an anomaly. They just have too much talent.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, last night the Cardinals looked like the Cards who had the best record in the NL. The defense was tight, the bats were working as well as could be expected against a good pitcher, and the pitching was really amazing. Wacha had an outstanding outing, continuing his amazing year. Martinez in relief did a great job, and Rosenthal was simply lights-out, as usual.

Now we go to St. Louis where the Cards are tough to beat. I think it's going to be a very good Series. Neither the Cards nor the Sox are going to lay down. The Cards will be in good shape unless they put Lynn in to pitch.

Go Cards!

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gomes had Kozma dead at the plate.

Makes an off line throw.

Salty tries to stretch, instead of moving his feet.

Misses the catch.

Run scores.

Breslow backs up Salty, then tries to nail Jay at third and throws the ball into the stands.

Another run scores.

Ballgame.

Whatever the Cards brought into Boston this week is apparently contagious. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Now let's see if you Boston boys can play NL style

Peavy is on life support and will be gone in 3 innings

Big Popie will have to borrow a glove and the pitcher just as well not even take a bat to the plate with him

Not to mention we use the double switch in the NL...Boston coaching staff might Google that and bone up

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've essentially got a best of 5 series now and the Cards have home field advantage. Joe Kelly is pitching tomorrow at home so the Cards have the advantage. For a pitcher, Joe's a pretty good hitter. And if Joe has problems, the Sox haven't begun to see the depth of the Cardinal's bullpen. Wait until they meet Maness and Miller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After last night's call, I am speechless.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange way to end a ball game, but I'll take the win. Go Cards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, as far as ending ballgames goes, last night's pick off at first was more to my liking! Wink Go Sox!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lester was brilliant.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
One day the expos will be back.We need another Bronfman to build a team.I will never forget the years 81-83.All those games I attended being right in the middle of all the action.IMO,probably the best two years in Montreal sports history.Imagine a team from Montreal a hit away from playing in the world series.Baseball was my game.I played peewee and bantam for three seasons-made the allstar team and was a starting catcher.When I visited my guidance councaller in highschool I told him I think that I might want to be a baseball player.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAPI!!!

LESTER!!!

LACKEY!!!

VICTORINO!!!

PEDROIA!!!

KOJI!!!!

SOX WIN!!! Big Grin

Yeah, yeah, I know. Our overpaid nomadic mercenaries beat theirs. But who cares.

SOX WIN!!! Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cards, year in and year out, put homegrown players on the field.
Does your team even have a farm system?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Like that mattered then?

St Louis lost btw......old news

I remember the 70's and the years past 87 to say oh bout 97....20 years of bust

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cards starting rotation appears to all be from their drafts in past years, and brought up thru their farm system.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
The Cards starting rotation appears to all be from their drafts in past years, and brought up thru their farm system.

Actually, Wainwright was not drafted by the Cardinals. He was drafted by the Braves, traded to the Cardinals, and made his major league debut wearing the birds on the bat from the Cardinals farm system.