New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pyrodex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The only powder you can buy in Southern Idaho is Pyrodex, Apparantly I shot some of it at one time because I have a half full can that's 20 years old but looks good..Same with Goex FFG, two full cans that's 20 years old..Looks good? but seeking advise.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with old powder and have used some pretty old stuff. Look how old some of the surplus powders are. Try what you have and if no issues, good to go. I'd bet it's still good.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black powder if kept dry doesn't normally deteriorate. I can't speak to any of the new black powder replacements like pyrodex. All I know about Pyrodex is that it is harder to light up than real black. A friend has missed several attempts at elk when his cap would go off but the Pyrox didn't. He refuses to switch to black because Pyrodex is safer. Well, at least it's safer for the elk.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have used some very old Pyrodex P. Probably one of the early lots. It still worked. I don't use it much as I prefer black.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just shoot it up behind the house.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pyrodex was the first modern, black powder replacement, and is the worst. Absolute crap. I bought several cans with it first came out in the mid 70s, and still have them.
Do not use it. It is very corrosive and hard to ignite. It killed the inventor in an explosion whilst making it.

Posts: 17080 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm with Tom on this. If you have to shoot a substitute, shoot Triple Seven. Very little fouling and it cleans up with a damp patch. Sportsman's Warehouse usually has it. While Pyrodex can get the job done, it is so darned corrosive and it eats brass, if you ever want to load for BPCR.
Too bad Sandpoint is such a long haul from Filer, as Dave Gullo up there at Buffalo Arms sells real black. With the availability of Swiss and now the excellent Old Eynsford, it is like having access to Curtis & Harvey's Diamond Grade No. 6 from the glory days of Schuetzen.

Great outfit! https://www.buffaloarms.com/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have tried 777 and I have to agree, it is a huge improvement over Pyrodex. Having said that, I still prefer black.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive decided to fertilize my tomatoes with the pyrodex this spring..I will try 777 as its available, but really want Old Eynsford, but have to order 5 lbs. from Buffalo arms and pay a Hazmat, but I suppose I just as well bite the bullet and place and order..Going to shoot a .562 ball and patch in the 58, and may shoot some bullet just for the hell of it. Half the fun is experimenting with this stuff..What started out two weeks ago as a damn nightmare has slowy become a simple task, once you separate the chafe, dump the complicated BS, and load up and shoot'em! Im wonder if a new guy learning to handload feels the same experience, I betcha he does, its probably mind boggleing to listen to us old handloaders..not to mention plumb scary.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, you might also want to try the .570 swaged round balls available from Speer and Hornady. Won't have to use such a thick patch. If you can find the prelubed patches from OxYoke, I have had good luck with them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Pyrodex was the first modern, black powder replacement, and is the worst. Absolute crap. I bought several cans with it first came out in the mid 70s, and still have them.
Do not use it. It is very corrosive and hard to ignite. It killed the inventor in an explosion whilst making it.

+1 , the stuff is crap to the max.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bill you are right; I tried his new 58 Hawken with .570 ball and .015 patch; (I didn't fire it, just started a ball) fit perfectly, not to tight and not too loose. It has a .580 bore diameter and 5 fairly deep grooves. But a 562 will work too; just use a thicker patch. Pillow ticking or canvas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms sells real black powder.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms does sell real black powder, but a minimum order is 5 lbs. plus the Hazard..I don't think I need 5 lbs of black in my shop??

Im going to try Triple 7, at the risk of being gilflurted and stringhaultered by the masses on AR!! I can buy it in Twin Falls. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf & Sons also carries lack powder.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will wait until someone in Ponderay Id is coming this way or some fisherman from down here is going up there and get some Old Enysford black, until they I'll play with triple 7..If that doesn't work and its getting close to hunting season I bite the bullet and pay the Hazzard and get 5 lbs. Whats the best way to store 5 lbs. of black, that could level my farm.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf is a good. Low has-mat and shipping fees.

I can not tell if Ray was joking.

Don't be worried about storing BP. It is not going to "level" anything. Store it on the floor in a wood box, and/or the shipping box. I'd put in the shop rather than in the house. Gasoline and propane are much more hazardous. Similar common sense precautions are all that is needed. Please keep it in perspective.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Black powder is super stable and a lot more stable than smokeless; it never deteriorates. Nor will it self ignite.
Store it in a cool dry place; and 5 pounds will not level your farm.
I buy it in 25 pound cases; cheaper that way.
Oh, I now see that Scot already said that......
I also see that this thread is ancient; it's a slow day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swedish box for home storage of 1kg of blackpowder, one box with 10 pipes containing 100g powder each.

http://svartkrutskallaren.com/mainsite/krutlada/#

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Five pounds of black powder is not going to level your farm; if you think it will, then don't store it all in the same place. One pound in each corner of the farm. Black powder is far more stable than any smokeless and lasts longer. Indefinitely, in fact.
Pyrodex is nasty corrosive stuff, (black powder is not) and I started using it from the day it was on the market in the 70s. But it is safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yep I was joking..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120