New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope for inline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just purchased a new inline 50 cal. I would like to put a nice scope on it capable of 200 yard shots if needed. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a Leupold M8-6X if you can find one, and the 42mm exit reticle is better than the 36. A 4X will work, but the six is much better, and it will do all you need to do out to 200 yards, including working up loads.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply...I do appreciate the advice! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I ran a 4X Nikon Monarch on my Knight for six years but this past year swapped it for a VariX II 3x9x40 I am pleased with being able to change the power for sighting and longer shots that 4X might have been just fine but

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never felt the muzzle loader shot flat enough for more than a 2.5X..but then I like a 2.5 or 3X on about any modern weapon, at least for deer and elk. Never have I felt the need for more scope in big game hunting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I find that most hunters enter the field way over-scoped. That is how a friend centered a 3 inch sapling ten yards in front of him whilst using a 12X scope on a wild boar at 50 yards. Trees don't show up that close.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 3x9 on mine 90 percent of the time it is on 3X.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I never felt the muzzle loader shot flat enough for more than a 2.5X..but then I like a 2.5 or 3X on about any modern weapon, at least for deer and elk. Never have I felt the need for more scope in big game hunting.

Have to say +1 to Ray. I scope most all of my hunting rifles with something in the 2.5 to 4 power range. My favorites are the 2.5 power scopes intended for turkey, or so they advertise. Has a small circle in the center of the reticle. Very fast to acquire the target and fire.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Make sure you cover the scope up well with electrical tape or similar before shooting. DAMHIK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Weaver V3 and it works great for me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted Hide Post
With the range of the newer in-lines, powders and projectiles, I would use a good variable power scope, similar to what I would use on a high power rifle. Most newer in-lines are capable of over 200 yd. shots, no problem.

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple savage smokeless Muzzle loaders. I run a fixed 6 FX111 on the one and a VX3 3.5-10 on the other. I haven't found the 6 to be any sort of handicap, but granted most of our muzzleloading is done in relatively open country. The variable is usually just left on 6X anyway.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote