ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Recreating the Creedmoor Match of 1874!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recreating the Creedmoor Match of 1874!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have been following the Long Range Muzzle Loader Match held every March at Oak Ridge, TN, for some time now. This is a tough match -- muzzleloaders with iron sights, 10 shots each at 200, 300, 600 and 1,000 yards.
Come to find out that David Minshall, a leader in long-range ML shooting in Great Britain, is ramrodding the 2024 match, which will be a re-creation of the Great Creedmoor Match of 1874, in which the Americans, shooting Sharps and Remington cartridge guns, beat the Irish team shooting Rigby muzzleloaders only because one of the Irishmen put one of his shots on the wrong target. My guess is this 150th-anniversary match will see a number of original Sharps and Rigby rifles on the line. Talk about stirring times, when riflemen were really "Riflemen"!
http://www.researchpress.co.uk...pring-2019-oak-ridge

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I’ve been thinking of this 150th anniversary match myself.
Would have to source sights for my Rigby but I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a try or even loan it out to a competitor if it shoots well enough (and I can’t...)
Also thinking I want to try the Quigley shoot this year with my Gibbs or Westley match rifles.
That would really be something.
Competing with original equipment.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Go for it friend!
Here's just one version of the Dr. Goodwin sight.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/ke...n-tang-sight-akelkos

More ...

http://www.researchpress.co.uk...s/goodwin-rear-sight

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The Rigby has an integral mount on the tang otherwise it would be a simple task of fitting a base.
My plan is to buy a staff (or a complete sight) and file it to fit.
Actually need sights for the Gibbs too the front of which is a bit more complicated.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Huvius.

If you are interested in shooting Quigley, let me know, we have shot it 13 of the past 16 years. You know where to find me.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
That would be great!
PM sent