ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    TC Encore Muzzle loading with smokeless powder?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Encore Muzzle loading with smokeless powder?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was speaking to my local TC dealer this weekend about acquiring an aftermarket muzzle loading 50 caliber barrel for my encore that would shoot smokeless powder like my Savage 10 ML, Was surprised to learn that he had been shooting smokeless in his original barrel for years, Anyone else been shooting smokeless in a black powder barrel?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
II never heard that.What was he using??

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reloader 7, 47 gr

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not do it.I think if TC thought their barrels could with stand smokeless powder,that they would advertise them as such.The frames can take it,but even some Savages which were sold as for smokeless powder have blown up.I am getting 2,350 FPS with 110 grains Blackhorn 209 and 250 grain Hornady SSTs.Thats smokin fast.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After doing extensive research on the smokeless powder in muzzleloaders, I came to the conclusion that it is just easier to buy BH 209 powder.

The Encore frame can handle the pressure, but the barrel must be made of modern rifle steel, and not the lower grade steel used in most muzzleloaders.

I could never determine what the Encore muzzleloader barrel is manufactured from.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet all Encore barrels are 4140 or 416R steel. The Encore frame will not take any pressure at all with the smokeless setup as the breechplug takes that stress out of the equation.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what happens when you use smokeless in a black powder firearm.
http://youtu.be/SU1lGa1iH9E

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that CVA barrels are not made from Chrome Moly steel so of course, no smokeless should ever be used. As for the TC barrels, I don't know but could be that they are made from 4000 series steel, based on the above. However, for those who value their fingers, I don't recommend ever using smokeless unless you are sure.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Did all you guys miss the part where he said, and I quote "acquiring an aftermarket muzzle loading 50 caliber barrel for my encore that would shoot smokeless powder like my Savage 10 ML"
He's looking at getting an aftermarket barrel to shoot smokeless, not using the stock barrel.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well O'Tay then, how about this, buy a 45-70 barrel from Bergara, bore and thread for a breechplug set up for a slight crush fit with your choice of 209 primer, and viola...you're done.

I did one of these last fall and it shoots very well with bullets sized to just bore diameter and loaded with 4198.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Did all you guys miss the part where he said, and I quote "acquiring an aftermarket muzzle loading 50 caliber barrel for my encore that would shoot smokeless powder like my Savage 10 ML"
He's looking at getting an aftermarket barrel to shoot smokeless, not using the stock barrel.

No,but he made the comment that his Local TC dealer shoots smokeless in his stock TC MZ barrel.A bad idea.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
No,but he made the comment that his Local TC dealer shoots smokeless in his stock TC MZ barrel.A bad idea.

Olbiker you are right, honestly I pay no attention to gunshop "dealers" they are 9 times out of 10 the biggest idiots on the planet when it comes to truthful firearms advice.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Yes sales clerks cannot give advice worth any question asked That is worth 1 cent !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
buy a 45-70 barrel from Bergara, bore and thread for a breechplug set up for a slight crush fit with your choice of 209 primer, and viola...you're done.

I did one of these last fall and it shoots very well with bullets sized to just bore diameter and loaded with 4198.

A lot of guys have done this over at Doug's Message Boards. Others have
bought CVA Apex in .45-70 and converted them. One guy has come up with the
ultimate in breech plugs. If I were to go that route, I would make sure to
machine for that plug.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The converted 45/70 barrels can shoot great! I'm not running hot loads but basically shooting a mid range 45/70 equivalent with the same .458 bullet. It works great on white tail deer at the distances I usually shoot.

I would avoid smokeless powder in the factory muzzle loading barrels because you can't verify the steel and the smokeless breech plugs are designed differently.

Also, some guys think Trail Boss powder is a good idea but the fine print on the TB bottle says to NOT compress it.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote