Find
Notify
Tools

Smokeless powder question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use IMR 7828 in a smokeless muzzle loader? Details? Thanks, Tom

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thought I answered this; it would be too slow to burn correctly. It needs more pressure and bullet resistance to burn like it is supposed to.

Posts: 17058 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you did. Thanks again. Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Can't even remember who made them now, but it seems like the manufacturer of those front loading smokeless powder guns was very specific on the powders to be used.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Can't even remember who made them now, but it seems like the manufacturer of those front loading smokeless powder guns was very specific on the powders to be used.

Savage was the maker of most of them.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snyper.

Didn't they have a very short list of acceptable smokeless powders?

Did that trend bite the dust due to lack of interest, or did someone do something stupid?

It just seemed like it was a situation ripe for someone to do something wrong leading to injury/death.

Challenge your limits

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
TC, I remember when they first came out and people were raving about them. Then it's just like they disappeared. I would have to guess that the risk assessment lawyer team shut it down. Don't know how they're any different than any other muzzleloader that requires a specific powder and charge.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mod7LSS
They are very different in that there are many smokeless powders that can and will take them apart.

True BP or substitutes produce FAR less pressures

Challenge your limits

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I shoot smokeless in a couple of muzzleloaders that I have. They are still several companies making them but the major manufacturers have quit I suppose due to liability issues. The problem you run into is that some nut puts 100 grains of fast burning smokeless in a rifle when he is used to using 100 grains of black powder substitute. The great thing is that I never clean my rifles and do not have a problem with the bores or components rusting. Loading procedures are the same without the mess or smoke.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote