ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    muzzleloading for a white model 97

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

muzzleloading for a white model 97
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Hey fellas,

I shoot bolt action, but I have a white model 97 whitetail hunter (.504 caliber) that belonged to my father. He was a former member on here (Doubless). I lost him a few years ago due to colon cancer. I was thinking about getting into muzzleloader hunting in order to buy me some extra time in January.

Long story short, I don't know the proper powder charges. Moreover, how to even properly load the darned thing. I can't find any info online ( a manual even)regarding this stuff. Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.......... I can't find any info online (a manual even)regarding this stuff. Any suggestions and/.........d.

Oh come on......not to be TOO snarky, but a google search of the below quote brought up everything you need to know.....videos, blogs, Pedersoli suggested charges.
“loading the black powder muzzle loading rifle”

And this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012862080/

Two safety biggies not always mentioned are:
1) don't pour the charge from the flask...pour charge into a separate measure then pour into barrel.
2) when ramming the ball, DO NOT put your thumb over the top of the ramrod.

As to #2....I knew a guy from Denver (nickname “Flaps 4”) that I flew with that was missing his right thumb; evidently an ember from the previous shot set off the powder while ramming the ball.....the patched ball, the ramrod, and his thumb were fired into the stratosphere above.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Google no excuses bullets
Use pyrodex p pistol powder.
Start 80g vol
Rws use to make best 11 caps
Google white muzzleloading

---------------
Gary

Posts: 241 | Location: Beaumont, tx | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.M. sent

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I shoot 2 of them, both .504s. If you're still looking for info I have all of Doc's loadings that he published. PM me and I can email them to you.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are new at muzzle loading, even with an inline, there are lots of books on the topic, and lots on the internet.
As for Pyrodex, it is the most vile substance ever made and sold as a propellant. I remember when it was introduced and I thought it was going to be great; it is crap. It is weak and very corrosive. Anything is better. And it killed the inventor.
Pure black powder is much better and so are any later substitutes like 777.
I always recommend musket caps; if yours takes #11 caps, musket nipples are available and are far more reliable; there is a reason they were used on military rifles.
If you are close, come over and I will teach you.

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
white model 97

I shoot the White muzzleloaders. Start with 80grains of tripple f with the 504 bullet.

Posts: 132 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Rod:
Hey fellas,

I shoot bolt action, but I have a white model 97 whitetail hunter (.504 caliber) that belonged to my father. He was a former member on here (Doubless). I lost him a few years ago due to colon cancer. I was thinking about getting into muzzleloader hunting in order to buy me some extra time in January.

Long story short, I don't know the proper powder charges. Moreover, how to even properly load the darned thing. I can't find any info online ( a manual even)regarding this stuff. Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.

Ram Rod, these are the boys that you need to talk too.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader...te-muzzleloaders.63/

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Rod:
Hey fellas,

Its good to meet you. I knew your dad. In fact he tried hard to give me one of the Whites he had. I enjoyed shooting the bull with him about ML. The other guys have given you info.
It's too bad you didn't learn this from your dad. But things happen, my own son has never reloaded a single shell. But he has learned to shoot a ML. He is now 26 and starting to see the incredible amount of work I did with his guns and loads that he shoots so well.
Good luck and stick around.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I often spoke with your Dad on these hunting forums. Good guy.
If you will message me an email address, I can send you a copy of the owner's manual for the White 97.

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote