Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

loading a 45 70
 Login/Join

posted
my father has a trap door 4570 that he loves to shoot however he is now 84 years old and all the reloading info he can find kicks way too much for him anymore
does anyone have suggestions on a light load that can be safly used in this cartridge
THANKS TOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many smokeless loads that are easy to put together that produce little recoil.

If you insist on black power you can use the lighter 405 grain bullet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do some research on "Gallery loads" for the 45/70. There's a LOT of info out there on low power/reduced noise loadings.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Here's a great source for low velocity data. Scroll down on the left to find your cartridge:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using black powder then the carbine load for the 405gr bullet would work. I use 59grs Goex FFg compressed enough to seat the Lee 405gr Hollow base bullet to the crimp band. For the trapdoor I use a firm crimp over the front of the band, just like the FA original. Recoil in the infantry rifle is really mild and the load is reasonably accurate. Just be sure to use a proper black powder lube.

Jerry Liles

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 grains of Trailboss and a 300 grain cast bullet works real well for me.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually If I had a trapdoor what I'd shoot in it...

a Cast bullet of about 200-ish grains (probably use the Lee 456-220 round nose mold intended for the Ruger Old Army revolver)
on top of FFFg

Big boom, lots of smoke but not a whole lot of recoil.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain hard cast bullets and 30 grains of H4895.

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 grs Unique with about any bullet is a nice light load

Posts: 169 | Location: Pa | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the Cowboy Action loads for the 45-70 would probably work well if you don't reload.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A favorite of mine is the Lee 340-grain bullet loaded with Trail Boss, Unique or XMP 5744. However, Lee's 405-grain hollow base is more likely to expand and give you better accuracy in a trapdoor, where groove diameter is often well over .460.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book max of Trailboss and a 300gr cast bullets have proven best for me. If you decide to use a pistol powder like unique, when shooting, point the muzzle straight up to allow the powder to settle over the primer, the lower the rifle into firing position. This will help with consistency. I've tried pointing the rifle down as well, but have gotten better results pointing up.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never recommend pistol powders in these big cases; too much danger of double or triple charges.
Use a 300 grain bullet; that will greatly reduce the recoil. But as BIll said, if your barrel is oversize, a hollow base bullet will work best. Use trail boss or 5744.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but most factory loaded 45-70 is severely underloaded as I recall, would that be suitable in a trapdoor? I knew a couple of kids back when that shot that stuff in their trapdoors..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just curious, but most factory loaded 45-70 is severely underloaded as I recall, would that be suitable in a trapdoor? I knew a couple of kids back when that shot that stuff in their trapdoors..

Remington's 45-70 405 gr load is, per Remington, "for use in all rifles".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a friend that has severe back probs and needed low recoil loads. As mentioned 10gr Unique with any cast works great. Very accurate with 405s.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote