ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    .58 or 12ga (cast bullets) for Hogs? Loads and Bullets?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.58 or 12ga (cast bullets) for Hogs? Loads and Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Any users ? Looking for a good heavy load...not round ball..for either as I will be buying one of the soon...thanks

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It depends on which rifle you intend to buy or build; 58s and 12ga tend to use heavy bullets and the recoil gets up there with heavy loads, meaning 100 grains of ffg and up. Also, what twist will your barrels have? To stabilize bullets you need at least a 48 inch twist or faster. Loads for muzzle loaders are what you make them to be; hard for someone else to tell you. I rarely use over 90 grains in my 58s; once you get a 500 grain bullet moving it is hard to stop and additional velocity is not needed. Actually, I like the 54 cal better; more efficient.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
What kind of velocity are you getting with your heavys? Thks

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1150-1200. 58s sort of peak out around there; even with a 500 grain Minie and 120 grains of ffg, you only get a couple of hundred fps more and lots more recoil. I don't really recommend a 58 although I use them; I like .54 better. I hve also used the 400 grain bullets in .58; still plenty of lead.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a better killer than my 54 Lyman Great PLains rifle..It really hammers elk and deer with bullet or ball..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a 54 cal in the Classifieds right now.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kid, for that .58 Kodiak talk to THE MAN: Jeffeosso. We traded a Kodiak back and forth a few years ago and he worked up a load with a heavy, 630-grain conical and Triple 7 that I suspect would have dropped a Cape buff like a sack of potatoes.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote