New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Hawken Large barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
always wanted to build a custom hawken , ran into one that fit the bill and bought it. Has W. Large match barrel, .50 cal, 100% figure curly maple stock, Roller triggers, L & R on lock plate but doesn't look like their hammer, bore seems to be perfect, wet patch came out looking the same as it went in and feels smooth as butter.All the fitting of the furniture is very well done .Do any of you have a guess as to what its value may be . I don't know who actually built it, but having built several center fires myself , I am impressed with who ever put it together. I can only find one that has sold in recent times on guns America and this one looks much better.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Building traditional muzzle loaders is ten times harder than a bolt action. I've done many of them, mostly flintlocks.
Go to TrackoftheWolf and see what they have for prices. Or call them and ask; that is part of their business.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, I'm probably going to keep it, but will contact them, soon as the excitement wears off .

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, a Hawken with a Bill Large barrel is a fine rifle to own.
Beware of Track of the Wolf. If you talk to Riplinger and he thinks you want to sell or trade, he'll low-ball you worse than a pawn shop. Been there, done that.
You might also ask at Americanlongrifles.com.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You might also want to look at these forums for help

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info , I've about worn out my basement steps going back and forth to look at it, don't know if I'll ever fire it as I don't think I could ever get it back as clean as it is now.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
thanks for the info , I've about worn out my basement steps going back and forth to look at it, don't know if I'll ever fire it as I don't think I could ever get it back as clean as it is now.

???

Hawken hooked breached rifles are pretty easy to clean.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not hooked

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Remove the nipple and head for the hardware/big box store and go where they have the plastic tubing.
Now use the nipple to find the tubing that is a tight fit on the nipple.
Buy a foo or two and use a short piece on the nipple when you are cleaning.

Keeps the water (cleaning solution) away from the wood.
Just a thought!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4226 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ran into one that fit the bill and bought it.

Worth what you paid for to you.

What was that price.

Knowing that would help everybody to decide what it was worth.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I feel I could get my money back from what I have found.Not looking to sell at this time anyway as it's every thing I would have done except maybe a patch box.