flint lock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
show pictures and who made

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have built lots of them; below is a NW Trade Gun (54 rifle because I have no need for a gun), and a Virginia .50 with a Curly Ash stock because soon there will be no more Ash trees.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's some beautiful work!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
One piece of trivia; the NW Trade guns had flat sheet metal butt plates nailed on with square nails (until the very late ones). Screws cost a tenth of a cent; too much for a gun that would only last one year in the field. Users were not big on maintenance. The trigger guards were big so the Indians could pull the triggers with two fingers, like they did with their bows. The Sea Serpent side plate, the Indians wanted to see on all their guns. And the Sitting Fox stamps were also used by more than one maker; the Indians like those too.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a real rifle that was built in 1840 ? in the Ohio region that has been passed down from generation to generation + we have used cameras since they have been invented to show the passing on of this to the next generation, oct. bbl. 45 cal. dbl. set triggers a piece of history. I still have the bullet moulds + flat horn powder flask. If interested p.M. your email + I can send you pics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wondered about those trade gun trigger guards.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Design features of the Northwest Trade Gun were not random but carefully done to appeal to the customer and once set in the early 1700s, remained standard from maker to maker all the way until they got cartridge guns, which wasn't until 1900 or so. They did have to go to cap locks after about 1870 because no one was making flint locks any more and the makers told Hudson's Bay Company that they would have to convince the Indians to buy caps. Which they were resistant to do. They had to buy flints too but at least those would last more than one shot. Don't think the Indians made gun flints. They were imported by the millions.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful work, Tom. I have long admired the Northwest Trade Guns. A favorite place to kill a day just drooling over originals is the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, NE.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote