Find
Notify
Tools

#11 vs Musket Primer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
This is probably addressed somewhere here, I just can't find it.

I have a very nice NA P53 Enfield with a Hoyt made Kerr barrel. For a while now I have been having trouble finding GOOD musket caps. Have been considering switching it over to use #11 caps.

Any thoughts/experiences on the matter? I use RWS #11 caps and recently found a source for SCHUETZEN MUSKET CAPS but not a thing about them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have shot lots of both; the musket caps have far more priming compound than the #11s and produce more flame. I am now using CCIs as they are non corrosive. I have seen the Schutzen ones but I have not shot them. I did use #11s on a Zouave way back (1970), just to see, and they did work. So if that is all you can get, they will work.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Think I'll order a #11 nipple and give it a try.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been playing with in-line MLs since about 2000, and for my money the RWS 1075 is the best cap on the market. They are pretty hard to find, so if you decide to go that route and locate some, you might pick up a bunch.

FWIW, I have had both #11 and #11 M caps from CCI fail to ignite a powder charge; never with an RWS...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Which is why I rarely shoot those unreliable and new fangled cap locks. I prefer flintlocks, which are always reliable. As long is ain't raining.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word needs to be spread: nipples belong on a woman's chest, NOT a man's rifle...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2K of the 1075 RWS caps.

Not all nipples are created equally, even on women though I prefer those myself.

Dave