Find
Notify
Tools

Cap and ball revolver nipples
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I have two black powder revolvers, a stainless steel Remington 1858 by Uberti and a Rogers & Spencer by Euroarms. Both of course came with steel nipples on the cylinder.

My friends at the range all changed their cap nipples to either stainless steel or beryllium. I understand the change to stainless steel, but what is beryllium, why is it desireable?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium

It's hard, light and conducts heat well. But I can tell you from the aerospace world perspective you should never grind it do to its toxicity. To me it's kind of overkill on a blackpowder revolver. But I suppose it sounds cool for someone to tell their friends they have beryllium nipples. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium

It's hard, light and conducts heat well. But I can tell you from the aerospace world perspective you should never grind it do to its toxicity. To me it's kind of overkill on a blackpowder revolver. But I suppose it sounds cool for someone to tell their friends they have beryllium nipples. Big Grin

Thanks, now I even know how to spell it!

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My curiosity into all things scientific led me of course to other reasons why these particular nipples get chosen. First, they apparently last longer because they better resist being continuously hammered. Who doesn't like the sound of that? The kind of phrase you can use in multiple settings. Also, the flash hole is smaller than the holes in the factory original nipples AND they don't enlarge as much in use. This apparently is good for precision shooting and for limiting blow back which can cause caps to come of the nipple and get into the action.

Be assured, I will never grind my nipples.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
It's beryllium copper...used in several firearms as firing pins etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The steel nipples are good for hundreds of rounds each as long as you don't dry fire the revolver. I never saw a reason to change them out.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wink: I have used the Slixshot nipples with great satisfaction on cap and ball revolvers.
If you want to try a set, let me know if you have trouble getting them to France and I will help
Merry Christmas, and may peace be upon you and yours.
Bill

http://www.slixprings.com/cap-&-ball-nipples.html

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nipples and balls!

Work perfectly together! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. Happy New Year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some guys are really into nipples and like certain kinds while other guys like all types.
An obvious explanation.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I know, I know, say no more Smiler now back to business per the query; Go with the S/S above the C/U. They ALL corrode but S/S will give more longevity. I work in metals but it's still just my opinion.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
My friend in Portland in some plumbing shop:

"I need 1/2" threaded nipples".

Answer:

"Sir, we can't use this word anymore"

Friends felt stupid because he didn't know "right name".

What the hell is going on in USA?

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW "chinking" and "jigsaw" is forbidden too.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:

Is Black Powder racist too?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:

Is Black Powder racist too?

Sure. It will be called "old style powder" soon.

BTW you know why is aspirin white? Because it works ;-)

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have stainless steel nipples in my Pietta 1860 Army. I swapped them out as soon as I received the revolver - for what I thought were obvious reasons.

I have never heard of beryllium nipples before now.

Do we have any empirical data that suggest beryllium is really that much better?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote