ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Value of Colt percussion revolvers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Colt percussion revolvers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My sister-in-law has asked me to sell my late brother's gun collection. He had 4 percussion revolvers made by Colt Blackpowder (that is what is on the boxes). I have been told that Colt bought parts from an Italian maker and then machined them to their standards. There is an 1852 Navy, an 1860 Army, and two Walkers. Does anyone know where I can find some information on these revolvers, and what they may be worth. They are all unfired. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a book on Colt BP reproductions by Dennis Miller. It is a nice all color book, and covers everything from Italian replicas to Ruger persuasion revolvers.
These were made by Iver Johnson, and the Imperato brothers; not by Colt, with Italian parts, using the Colt name.
Look on Gunbroker for values.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is worth what folks are paying for it at the current time.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, there is a book on Colt BP reproductions by Dennis Miller. It is a nice all color book, and covers everything from Italian replicas to Ruger persuasion revolvers.
These were made by Iver Johnson, and the Imperato brothers; not by Colt, with Italian parts, using the Colt name.
Look on Gunbroker for values.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree that gunbroker is a good place to start. The Blue Book does carry a wealth of information but their evaluation system is strictly suggestive. Gunbroker will show you what the items are really selling for in the real world. That has always been the truth of the matter; whatever the market will bear. I know; I have a 1926 Colt New Service in 45 L.C. that the blue book lists at $3500.00 but I get no bites at $1500.00.Good luck with your sales quest. I have done this for friends + relatives in the past myself + it has not been a good experience on several occasions. Remember the old adage that 'No good deed goes unpunished'.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the revolvers still for sale?

Charles F. Bartlett

Posts: 80 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: 02 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
They sound like Second Generation guns. The way to be sure is to look on the back strap of the revolvers to see if there is a signature engraved on them. If they do not have a signature, they are Second Generation guns. If they have a signature engraved in them, they are what are referred to as Third Generation or Signature Series. The second generation guns are a bit more desirable and seem to bring anywhere from $25 to $50 more than the third generation guns. Like all guns, condition makes a big difference. The 1851s and 1860s seem to be the most common of the second generation guns, but the Walkers are also fairly common. I see unfired second generation Colts in the standard models in the box with all paperwork go in the $450 to $600 range fairly regularly. If they are fired, but are still in very good to excellent shape, and have all of the paperwork with them in the box they seem to go in the $450 to $550 range. If the paperwork is missing, or they have been shot a lot and show wear, they only seen to bring about $50 or $100 more than the Uberti or similar quality Italian guns. Since this is free advise, take it for what it is worth. As others have suggested watch GunBroker to see what they are actually selling for. There are a lot of people asking a lot more than the above prices, but rarely selling.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold the four revolvers together for $1550.00. It sounds like a reasonably fair price for both sides.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you + the purchaser are happy, that's called good business.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when my eldest son was in elementary school, one of his classmates said something about hid Dad wanting t sell a gun. Of course I was interested + contacted the guy. He has an M1 Carbine that he wanted $50.00 for because he had kids + no one needs a gun, etc. I( bought it from him = then he asked if I might be interested in another. Sure, what have you got. He had an original 1851 Colt in the holster that had been his great (how many) grandfathers gun when he was a marshal in San Angelo in the 1800's. He asked if I would give him $50.00 for that too (Satan, get behind me!) So I asked him if he had any sisters or brothers that might be interested in the family heritage. He said he'd thinkabout it. I never heard from him again. I suppose he sold it to the next guy who came along, but maybe not. I would have loved to have bought it but I still think that I did the right thing.