New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of dueling pistols
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Our shop received a pair of original Henry Deringer percussion dueling pistols boxed with powder flask and bullet mold. NRA Good condition. They are .50 cal with Jaeger rifling. We were asked to give an insurance appraisal. Any idea of value range?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Search on RI Auction site; they have sold them in the past.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They show an excellent to new condition set at $25,000. Sooooo, I'm guessing $12k-$15k?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I suggest you send an email and clear, comprehensive photos to Garry James ( garry.james@outdoorsg.com ) and ask his opinion.

Be sure to include any markings or numbers.

Garry writes for Guns & Ammo magazine and has a feature called Gun Room - Identification & Values where he answers questions about just about any firearm, modern or antique, that one can imagine. He'll also provide an estimate of value.

Many G&A readers turn to Gerry's article first when a new issue arrives--I know I do. He's helped me with some ID & value questions--and, he's just a really nice guy.

Hope this helps.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Garry has been at it a long time. He was there at G+A in the early 70s when Elmer was still editor at large. Once upon a time that was a great magazine, offering writers like Bill Jordan, Howard French, Ross Seyfried, Peter Capstick, Jeff Cooper, ad nauseum. Unfortunately these days we don't seem to have the quality of writers that we used to have, (only my opinion) but when the Col. passed away + I realized that I was only reading "Cooper's Corner" on the back page that that was kind of a waste of money.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once upon a time that was a great magazine, offering writers like Bill Jordan, Howard French, Ross Seyfried, Peter Capstick, Jeff Cooper, ad nauseum. Unfortunately these days we don't seem to have the quality of writers that we used to have. I realized that I was only reading "Cooper's Corner" on the back page that that was kind of a waste of money.

Agree, to an extent; I used to subscribe to several gun/hunting magazines but I canceled everything but G&A and Shooting Times--both have articles on all categories of firearms.

The only hunting mag I get anymore is American Hunter, which comes with my NRA Lifetime membership.

I used to take Rifleshooter but since I only shoot skeet and occasionally a little target pistol, it really wasn't worth the $$.

I like G&A because of Gerry's ID feature, and also because they devote several pages to reader comments, many of which are as interesting & informative as the articles themselves.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote