New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at a #1 in 300 Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking at a rela prety #1 in 300 win today. it was on sale, new in the Box for 639.00.
I know of the #1s reputation for sometimes accuracy , and in a long range round like a 300 I would want it to shoot !
I would be dissapointed if I could not aproach MOA with handloads. What do you think are my ods. (and yes I can shoot)...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I used to know several guys at the Sportman's Club in Strathmore, Alberta who bought .300 Mags when they first became available in the No. 1-V. They used them for informal matches amongst themselves out to 500-600 yards on the Rams normally used in Metallic Silhouette shooting. Their rifles were all very accurate...sufficiently so that I bought one for myself. Mine also is a MOA or sub-MOA rifle, depending on the bullet weight and load used.

You might have to try a few different loads to find exactly what you want, but that's pretty common with any out-of-the-box factory rifle.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
My .300 #1 only shot 2" groups out of the box.
Not good for a accuracy freak like me. After some range time and a little tweaking on the rifle and testing a buch of loads it now shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yards.
Killed my trophy pronghorn at 409 yards and has accounted for plenty otherwise.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I have a #1B in 300Win. I really like it. Over the last 10years I have read that #1s out of the box, some are good some are bad. The bad ones can be corrected. Mine shoots 3/4 in @ 100yds consistantly. One of my loads go less than 1/2 with 165gr Ballistics Tips. Unfortunatly I dont use that one for hunting. I am thinking about rebarrelling with a heavier barrel. Anyway, yes the #1s are a really neat rifle. If you do some searching on the "single shot" forum, there is a ton of info...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My #1B in .300 Win. Mag. will shoot .375" groups with selected handloads. My #1S is slightly under an inch, again with selected handloads. I still have to try out two More #1S rifles in .300 Mag. that are 1979 "Liberty" models that I recently acquired. All mine that I have shot have the dreaded "contract " barrels and they shoot just fine.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
until i had a horse wreck that wrecked the rifle in BC I had one and was always more than satisfied with it

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thans for the opinions buys.
I have just about decided to buy it.
I have a chance to go to a shopt tommorow that I have not been to for a long time, if he has nothing I like better than the 1 I will likly lay it away !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a #1S that was in 7mmremmag. It shot very well out of the box w/ just some trigge work. It shot so well I decided to risk it & have it rechambered to 7mm Dakota. It actually shoots a bit better now, easily hitting 1moa w/ most hanfdloads & a bit better on good days. Every rifleman should own one #1. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I sold my 300 Win No 1B years ago back in the 70s to man that offered me more money than I thought it was worth at the time. It is one of the few guns that I sold that I wish I had back,,, Oh Well…

Since that time I have purchased 5 other No 1s, been happy with all of them. I miss the 300 and although I don’t really need one, it’s my next gun purchase (I already have a scope for it LOL).

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote