New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hornets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After owning quite a few single shot hornets over the years, I had not owned one in a long time. I recently chanaged that by buying two.

I had always intended to buy a Luxus Arms M11 after handling the initial one at the factory. (I was there buying stock blanks. Saw the final No. 1 stock being finished on the same trip. Kind of a turning point for the company. Anyway, never got around to it until I noticed that Jaquas had an NIB Hornet in Case Hardened style marked down to $2995. Decided now was the time to jump. They had bought several guns at the end of production. This gun has a 26" barrel, nice wood and case colored receiver. When it came, I was surprised that the serial number was in the 6X range, given how late in the run it was purchased. The attached test target showed that it was sold to Jaquas and I measured the group (100 yds 3 shot) at .251" with 35 Gr VMax loads. I fired a test cartridge with new brass and a max load and measured absolutely no case expansion anywhere except for .002 neck expansion. I can't wait to get it to the range.

The other rifle is one of the Lispey specials from 2019. It is a No. 1 with upgraded wood, Case Color receiver and accents, and a light 22" barrel with Alex Henry fore end. It is a style I like and a fitting match to a 300 H&H full out custom I built in a stalking rifle theme. I bought it from Cabelas and it has been shipped so it should arrive the first of next week. I hope it is a shooter. The 2019 specials were the Hornet, a 28" barrel 257 WM in blue, and a 275 Rigby set up like the Hornet with a slightly longer barrel. They have all essentially disappeared from the market. I had two local large dealers try Lispeys who still catalog them but they show none of them available on the dealer listing. I spent three days looking and finally found them listed on the Cabelas website and not marked out of stock. I turned in an order and it was shipped in two days. They apparently still have the Hornet and the 275 Rigby available and were the only ones I could find anywhere, even on the auction and gun lists.

A Case Colored No.1 marked .275 Rigby would be a perfect rifle for an African plains game hunt.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sound very nice. I hope we can see photos in due course. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like two beautiful rifles, congratulations!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Art. Sounds like two beautiful rifles. I also like Single shot Hornets and have a few, including a No 3 and a Browning 1885.
May I offer a suggestion on the Ruger, be very vigilante in rust protection. I had a Ruger Vaquero with their color process that would rust by looking at it. I hope this will not be an issue with yours. The ad certainly looks great.

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote