THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    I was going to build a 577/500 No. 2 Express, but . . .

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was going to build a 577/500 No. 2 Express, but . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I was going to build a 577/500 No. 2 Express, but I found this one on Gunbroker instead. It was built by A. Conyers, Blandford, England, is tight, and the bore is excellent. The buttstock is an old replacement, but I can live with that. Now to get the lovely old thing shooting. Can you say elk rifle? So now what do I do with a spare martini action and stock?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Now you’re in business!
I’ve got probably 100 loaded cartridges and an itch to hit the range!
If they chamber in your rifle we could really send some lead downrange!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a play date!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
You put your kit on AR and sell it for half what you paid for it. That is how I do it.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!! I love it!!

As to your project....just go ahead with it and choose another caliber. And of course post pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonderful find, Dave. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Can't wait for you to get it shooting.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about building a .33 Winchester or .35 Winchester.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I think a 35Win. makes more sense than the 33.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, I agree with our friend Huvius. That .35 is a sweetheart.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about the .35 Winchester is that I have a couple of cast bullet molds that would be perfect for it. The downside is brass availability unless I am willing to live with .30-40 Krag brass, which is really too short.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the 577/500! On your martini parts why not try a 375 2.5? It's "correct" for the period, easy to load for and great on most North American game. A .375 barrel is easy, brass from 405 Win, slightly harder, and just about any .375 bullet will work.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur with .375 idea.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Looking at the .375 2.5 and the 450/400 2-3/8, and leaning towards the 450/400 since brass will be easier to come by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another favorite of mine is the 450#2 musket. If you can find some dies (CH4D) the rest is easy. Brass from Starline 50-90 Sharps, and a 300-350 gr .458 cast bullet. The original bullet was about 480 gr but I like the lighter ones better, more of an express or velopex load. I know, go back to sleep.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 450/400 2 3/8 is the best idea yet.....imho

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that spare Martini action, find a good SMLE barrel. The threads are the same as the Martini. Fit the 303 barrel and cut the breech end for extractors. Now you have a stalking rifle. I have one done that way. I still need to make a fore end. The SMLE barrel is pretty light weight, so the whole thing will go around 7 lbs. The SMLE rear sight for the MK III barrel is adjustable and highly shootable even for vintage eyes, as it is pretty far forward. If you find a No 4 barrel with no rear sight, fit a Lyman 66 peep sight made for 94 Winchesters.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://d1zzd228d7bvdx.cloudfr.../products/852280.jpg

Gun Parts Corp has SMLE ..308 barrel from Ishapore for $78 complete with sights. Fit this to your Martini action and Use a .30/30 reamer to make it a .307 Winchester. I had one barreled that way but only loaded it to 303 pressures in deference to the Martini action strength.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome!
I will add that it is one of the easiest two piece stock design to make a nice new stock for with simple tools. I have made several of them for my big bore H&R Handi Rifles. Same tang bolt design, etc. If you get to that, I can guide you through it. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 303 barreled Martini for sale!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876958386

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Does No.2 musket have any performance advantage over 577/450?

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The 577/500 No. 2 is currently with Steve Bertram (SKB)getting a new buttstock to match the forend and the rest of the rifle. I will post pictures when Steve gets it back to me. The jury is still out on what the action will become, but I dummied up some .375-2.5 rounds from 9.3x74R brass and it looks like it would be a fun and reasonably practical round.