THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Range Report: Hicks Accurizer installed

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report: Hicks Accurizer installed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Ruger #1V SS (K1V-BBZ) 204Ruger 24.5gr I4895 Hor 32gr. FGM primers. Once fired brass, RCBS Neck sized.

A little history:
Prior to free floating the barrel, the above was the best grouping reload worked up. Unfortunately nothing shot as well as Hornady factory 32s. I was getting .625 MOA on average from factories, .88MOA from the handloads. I've tried 35 gr Bergers with very poor results.

I installed the Hicks with very little problem thanks to a plunge router.

Off to the range. First group was horrible, 1.25" from newly freefloated barrel. Next, screwed in the Hicks to just touch. Better group at 1.00" Turned the Hicks in 1/4 turn: .75" (Ohhhh I like this). Then, with 1/2 turn in it shot three of five shots into .375" on a cold (26 deg blustery, snowing day). I'm quite impressed!! Didn't go any futher because I couldn't feel my fingers LOL.

The two other shots went into a hole, touching, that was .75" above the others. HMMMMMMM this is not good. I'm convinced that it has to do with where the rifle is setting on the front rest (Hart) since the barrel is not actually free floated anymore. I guess I'll have to mark the stock to ensure proper rest placement. Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, I just thought I'd let everyone know that if they are having trouble getting a No.1 to shoot they should try the Hicks. I'm glad I did.

Jim

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Post with great info..
Thanks,
Don

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I just got the Hicks for Christmas...love my wife..I already installed it, just waiting for some time to try it. Its a .300Win. Iam also waiting to get my concentricity gauge back so I can do up some loads...really looking forward to trying this..

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Please explain what "Hicks" is, where to get it and how much does it cost? Thanks,

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Joe:
Please explain what "Hicks" is, where to get it and how much does it cost? Thanks,
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.hdrifle.com/RugerAccurizer.html

http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my unending quest for accuracy I decided to turn some necks on my 204 Ruger Ruger #1. Brass was twice fired. I was getting bad runout and thought this might help.
I cut just enough to clean the entire neck, resized the neck loaded with 32gr Hornady an I4895. Off to the range.
The following images show the difference. Quite noticeable increase in accuracy. This rifle had not been this consistant with standard reloads. I'm quite happy....except that now I have to turn all my necks..
Just thought I'd share what I found.
Jim

Not turned (left img) is .9375" Turned (right img) is .500 ( including Jim's flinch) and .233 for the other 4 shots.
I realize that one or two groups do not make a universal imperative. More range time will be required.

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also do neck turning (6mmPPC, 308 etc). It would be an interesting comparison to show not turned vs. oriented vs. turned vs. turned and oriented. (Orient the bullet to same point of maximum runout.)

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimno2506:
In my unending quest for accuracy I decided to turn some necks on my 204 Ruger Ruger #1. Brass was twice fired. I was getting bad runout and thought this might help.
I cut just enough to clean the entire neck, resized the neck loaded with 32gr Hornady an I4895. Off to the range.
The following images show the difference. Quite noticeable increase in accuracy. This rifle had not been this consistant with standard reloads. I'm quite happy....except that now I have to turn all my necks..
Just thought I'd share what I found.
Jim

Not turned (left img) is .9375" Turned (right img) is .500 ( including Jim's flinch) and .233 for the other 4 shots.
I realize that one or two groups do not make a universal imperative. More range time will be required. http://www.lightningtimesavers.com/File0001.jpg

Jim, I'm not familiar with that target style. Can you tell us where to get some?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

I'm honored you asked, I made them. They fit the recticles on my scope. I can (CAD) scale them for different ranges and different recticle subtensions.

I came up with this idea because I could not understand how you can accurately sight a scope if the item you are sighting is behind a recticle. You can't see it. I decided to go the opposite and put nothing behind the recticles, but outline the recticle to allow you to square your scope in the center.

Here it is in PDF format for .125" recticles at 100 yards.

EnjoyHere

Jim

Liberals make me puke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weather broke so I could get the chrony out. I use IMR 4198 at 24.5 gr (above max, I know). Velocity was 4170fps with 32gr Vmax, FGM primers. SD was a little high at 25-30 but accuracy is wonderful. Keeping most groups under .4 and some in .2s for 3 shots. 5 shot groups were under .5.

I did some more testing and found my seater was giving more runout than I thought, even on turned cases. Some were as bad as .010 !!!!

I adjusted the concentricity and I believe this is where a lot of the accuracy is coming from.

Jim

Liberals make me puke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Good info. Sounds like you have it together.
I know my next Number 1 will get the Hicks trick.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimno2506:
Gentlemen,
Ruger #1V SS (K1V-BBZ) 204Ruger 24.5gr I4895 Hor 32gr. FGM primers. Once fired brass, RCBS Neck sized.

A little history:
Prior to free floating the barrel, the above was the best grouping reload worked up. Unfortunately nothing shot as well as Hornady factory 32s. I was getting .625 MOA on average from factories, .88MOA from the handloads. I've tried 35 gr Bergers with very poor results.

I installed the Hicks with very little problem thanks to a plunge router.

Off to the range. First group was horrible, 1.25" from newly freefloated barrel. Next, screwed in the Hicks to just touch. Better group at 1.00" Turned the Hicks in 1/4 turn: .75" (Ohhhh I like this). Then, with 1/2 turn in it shot three of five shots into .375" on a cold (26 deg blustery, snowing day). I'm quite impressed!! Didn't go any futher because I couldn't feel my fingers LOL.

The two other shots went into a hole, touching, that was .75" above the others. HMMMMMMM this is not good. I'm convinced that it has to do with where the rifle is setting on the front rest (Hart) since the barrel is not actually free floated anymore. I guess I'll have to mark the stock to ensure proper rest placement. Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, I just thought I'd let everyone know that if they are having trouble getting a No.1 to shoot they should try the Hicks. I'm glad I did.

Jim

Jim. Try holding the forearm in your hand with the hand resting on the rest. Should make a bit of difference as it's more like holding it in the field. Some of my #1s are more resposive to that method.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I agree 100 percent. Where the rifle is rested will change POI. That is the only thing I don't like about the Hicks...the barrel is not free-floating.

I have found that the accuracy is very similar in group size but POI can change by .75 at 100 from resting in front of the swivel stud to just in front of the action.

I re-read my post and I found an error. I'm using I4198 not 4895. I couldn't get 4895 to shoot as well so I quit using it.

I do most of my shooting from the bench so where I rest my rifle is up to me. IF i can find a place to call yotes I'll sight the rifle in using shooting sticks or whatever. Until then, it will stay on the rest.

Jim

Liberals make me puke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Are you the guy who posted all of the good Coyote hunting info over on Predatormasters a couple of years ago?
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Sorry, that was not me.

Jim

Liberals make me puke.