New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1 RSI .257 Roberts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see ruger is building a #1RSI in the Roberts this year. I like the sound of that.
The RSIs are real handy in the woods, and if you could find a load it likes it should still be a good 300 yard rifle. I like the Roberts for deer.
Has anyone seen or fired one ? or even read a review ?
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Are they being shipped? I've not seen one in person but love that caliber.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one from here:
http://www.saugertiesoutfitters.com/

Click the link to buy guns online.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Just saw one at an LGS this weekend. Pretty sweet package! Not sure what it is about niche-y configurations in #1's, but I want them all!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Just saw one at an LGS this weekend. Pretty sweet package! Not sure what it is about niche-y configurations in #1's, but I want them all!

I have a 257 Roberts with a 24" barrel. It is an H&R conversion
with an octagon barrel. A terrific shooting rifle on deer. This caliber is a dream. Don't know about a 20" barrel. You can read about this rifle here on my web site.
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/257wp3.html

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20 inch bolt gun in the roberts , and i get 3100 with a 100 grain bullet , tj3006

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I like the sound of a new RSI. Good caliber. My .270 is one of my go-to rifles, and has been for many years. Light, handy, and shoots well.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes #1s are nice rifles I sure see using one in 257.

I killed dozens of head of game with my #1 light sporter.

Only once have I wished for a faster 2nd shot but then that was at -15F and I had heavy gloves on.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is simply an elegance to #1's that is seldom seen today. I don't currently own one but have owned several in the past. Seems there was always a German rifle I wanted more

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't currently own

for shame faint - now be a good boy and go out and buy a few Big Grin old

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst part, in 1978 when I moved to Idaho local gunshops were selling new ones for $240-$275; depending on caliber. 1V's were in that $275 range.

Of course, I was driving a six year old Ford 1/2ton and making about $15K a year...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding brass or shells for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldFart:
Good luck finding brass or shells for it.

Two of my local gun shops have 257 Roberts ammo in stock. I picked up a box at my gun club's swap meet as well. I also necked down some 7x57
brass I had, so I'll have 100 cases available for reloading after I shoot up the factory ammo.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had problems finding brass for the roberts. And there is usualy at least 2 loads on the shelf at sportsman warehouse ...tj3006

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257R bolt rifle and love the cartridge.

I have to order ammo since it might not be on the shelves of local shops, but it is readily available from Federal, Remington, Hornaday and others in +P and standard loadings.

I am going to have to get one of those 257R No1 Internationals!!!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some cartridges are dying a slow death and components are getting scarcer by the day here in SA:

22 Hornet
220 Swift
257 Roberts
264 Win Mag
300 Savage
300 Norma Magnum

I am not sure if the Ruger Compact Magnums (RCM) are going to make it over here. Both cases and ammo are not readily availble, and that is a shame as Ruger offers arguebly the best case design of all short cased magnums.

Santa Claus

Posts: 2148 | Location: Kirkwood | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote