THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    357 Magnum Baby Rolling Block rechamber??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Magnum Baby Rolling Block rechamber??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I have had a Uberti Baby Rolling Block Carbine in 357 Mag for several years now and have enjoyed shooting it. It is decently accurate and being as I love the 357 Maxi I was wondering if it would be safe to rechamber it to 357 Maximum, I know it would be going from 35K to 40K but have no idea about if it is safe or not. That's awful close to your face if something should let go.
Not sure if this shouldn't go in the Gunsmithing section.

https://www.ubertireplicas.com...block-rifle-carbine/

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
In Europe, where your gun was made, the Mag and the Max have basically identical pressure ratings.

As I read the load books, the SAAMI PSI rating for the Mag is "dumbed down." Compare the performance of CUP and PSI loads, and you'll see the CUP loads are faster, indicating the PSI loads are truly running at a lower pressure.

I'd not hesitate to rechamber from Mag to Max. You could also just throat your Mag to allow for a longer COL, one closer to the Max.

How is the lock up of your wee rolling block? I've inspected two over the years, and both had a rather springy breech. I chose not to buy one because of that, but they sure are handy little rifles. The 26" octagon is quite attractive.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Lock up is still good and tight on this one, I may have put 100 rounds of Mag ammo through it over the years, nothing hot rodded. I had thought about doing the throat thing on it, that might be better than trying to cut the chamber longer.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
Lock up is still good and tight on this one, I may have put 100 rounds of Mag ammo through it over the years, nothing hot rodded. I had thought about doing the throat thing on it, that might be better than trying to cut the chamber longer.

Steve.........

If your not hot rodding it now why go to the max.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Because it's something I want.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because it's what he wants is the only reason and a very good reason for following through with his desires. I just think that if he does so and ever wishes to sell it down the road, the fact that it's been modified may make more difficult to sell. It wouldn't be for me, but I'm not the general buying public~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That always seemed like a sweet little rifle to me, whether chambered in Mag or Max. I like the simplicity of the Rolling Block action and like all proper single shots it has an exposed hammer.

Rolling Block Questions moved to "Gunsmithing section" to avoid subject drift.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I never got around to doing the conversion so I guess I may leave it as is because I have a 357 Mag Henry Single Shot rifle that I rechambered to the Max and it shoots really well. I still would like to do the conversion but with all the other things I have to do it is way down the list. Maybe one day, right now I am having a lot of fun feeding my AR50.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran