Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1 accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
After many years of wishful thinking, I bought my first #1. A 7mm RM, that is like new. I don’t think it has 20 rds fired in it yet, it’s in such good condition. I have read they can be finicky with accuracy, and a lot of the problems come from the forend, and forend pressure. Is this true? Are there steps I can take to help with this problem? I would be very happy with 1” groups. This will be a big game rifle, used for mule deer, & Elk. I have yet to shoot the rifle, as I have other reloading projects I need to finish before I start a new one. If I can get it to shoot, I Can see this rifle becoming my go to big game rifle. Any thoughts or opinions would be very appreciated. Thanx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4

30/06 bought on ar and told it shoots Barnes 180 - that is what I shoot and it is great rifle.

7x57 bought from ar member with ammo - great gun

300 H&H brand new from ar member - one hole gun

6.5 creedmoor - terrible with heavy bullets - fine with light bullets

I would shoot a lot of different 7mm ammo to find what it likes.

These are finicky rifles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are great looking rifles. I can not walk by one without picking it up.
And I’ve had four of them, all in 22 cal varmint cartridges. I spent heavily on various forend alterations, custom triggers, etc.
I never got one to consistently shoot one inch, or close to it.
I tried, but the accuracy was not there.
Before the naysayers say, maybe it was the shooter, I have numerous Rem 700s, Sakos, and Anschutz that are easy sub 1”.
I hope you found a good one.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
I own 3 - 7.62x39, 9.3x74R and .45-70. All shoot pretty good right out of the box with the proper handload.

7.62x39 No.1-A

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys I have eight all very accurate.
#1H 458WM 1 MOA
#1S 45/70 1 MOA
#1B 338WM .5MOA
#1S 7MM R.E.M. MAG .75 MOA
#1B 270W .5 MOA
#1A 243W ? Never been shot
#1V 22/250 1 MOA
If you have problems a Hicks accurizer can help a lot in tightening up a group.
Take care. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I currently have one in 300 H&H. One of the Boddington models. It shoots lights out with 180gr TTSX bullets.

I had one in 45/70 a while back. The stainless / laminate stock version. It too was a tack driver.

Personally, I love the No. 1.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a red pad No. 1 in 270 Win and I pick up my No.1 RSA, 7x57 tomorrow. I also have a Ruger No.3 in 30-40 Krag.

I've only shot the 270 and it shoots lights out with the 110 grain Barnes TTSX. Mine didn't care for heavy bullets at all. The lighter the bullet, the better it shot.

I've taken three antelope with it out to 440 yards

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having never met you, you need to understand (2) things a/b me. I am anal regarding rifle accuracy AND my mother says I have the patience of Job. Also, I’ve been reloading for the past 35 years and currently load for (20) different cartridges. I’ve had excellent success w/ # 1s, but some have
taken more work than others.
I currently own 4 #1s and have worked w/ 4 others.
One 30/06 shot factory ‘sighting in’loads extremely well. I stupidly sold it on Arbay . A 6.5x 300 Is VERY sensitive to COL. a 7 x 57 will not shoot some bullets under (2) inches, but will shoot others very well. My 218bee is a pig ‘harvesting’ machine !
A 7mag would N O T shoot anything other than a 162gr bullets.

The forearm is a B I G issue.
If the trigger has not been changed or tuned, send it to Jim Kobe and have him do his magic.

BEST of luck

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of the box, some shoot, some don't.

If it doesn't shoot, float the front end and bed the buttstock 100% to the back of the receiver. That should do it.

Posts: 131 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owed two; a 7RM and a .204 Ruger. The 7RM shot okay (1.5"). The .204 is very accurate but I bedded the forearm using the washer trick.

One thing I did notice is that while they might be accurate, their zeroes are not terribly stable.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
My No.1 in 9.3x74R shoots all loads well. A bunch of dead feral hogs would agree.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My red pad .22 hornet will shoot about 3/4"(factory ammo). IF, you let the barrel cool between shots. cold barrel first shot always right on. Shoot fast the group openes up.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask GWB about the accuracy of Ruger #1’s. .375 H&H and .300H&H.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had four of them, all various .22 cal. Three were heavy varmint. They were not finicky, they were very poor accuracy wise.
Hope yours is a tack driver.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 - If it's a 7mmRM it probably does not have a very light barrel, so I would go for free floating the forend. Just remove enough wood so you can get some thin cardboard under it for the full length, and make sure the screws into the forend hanger are tight.

2 - Also check the clearance between the back of the sight rib and the receiver, they should not be touching.

3 - What year? Some of the older No. 1's had outsourced barrels which were not the best (not sure when this happened, 80's & before???)

4 - The obvious - make sure sight rib screws, rings, etc, are all tight, clean barrel.

5 - Fire off some groups and go from there.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Well, GSJCKY hasn't checked back in here since posting...still, I'll throw my two cents in.

My experience wasn't that my #1 7x57 was finicky with ammo, it was finicky with how you held it. Or, more specifically, how it is rested.

The way the forestock is hung can create odd balances against the barrel. The trick I found was to put the rifle on the rest juuuuust a hair forward of the receiver. Like 1/4" forward of the receiver on the wood. Consistently. It was just so easy to position the rifle 2" forward on the wood, or at the receiver...or.however.

At the same time, I had to get my left hand (I'm right handed) off the gun altogether. Turns out I pretty much flinch my left hand on anything. Getting that out of the mix compressed my groups significantly.

Anyway, the consistency of how I mounted the rifle on the rest (front and back) made all the difference in the world.

Good luck.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Of the five #1’s I have only the 1A in 7mm-08 shoots great out of the box, with groups well under 1”. My 1S in 9.3X62 was a stringer with full power loads, and it responded very well to putting a piece of rubber innertube under the forend tip after relieving it a bit. Next would have been to float the forend but I quit while ahead.
I have also heard, but have not tried yet, that the 7RMs like 162gr bullets.
Rich

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What I've experienced is that if number ones don't group well remove the cantilever base. Listen CLOSELY as you remove the base off those two damn pins. IF you hear a 'ping' when the base comes free there was 'STRESS' remove the pins and reassemble everything. Shoot again with same ammo. The groups WILL be better. Those pins are NOT NEEDED IN THE FIRST PLACE! Also it's a good idea to relieve the rear face of the rail so it does not touch / bare against the front the reciever face.
JUST SAYING.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every one I have owned shot good, but Ihave seen and shot many that would not shoot worth a flip, but Ive seen the same in many rifles of different makes

If a Ruger wont shoot, install a aluminum V in the forend and use the screw adjustment method with a half turn with each group until you get where you need to be, then undo the screw counting the turn to a release and document that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I know the thread is a little old, but what the heck. All are from Ruger No. 1 rifles at 100 yds. Except for the 7x57, these are all with factory ammunition.

Ruger No. 1b 6.5 Creedmoor

Ruger No. 1 RSI 7x57

Ruger No. 1 "Tropical" 375 H&H

Ruger No. 1s 300 H&H

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Early on Ruger did use some inferior barrels, that's common knowledge..But at some point the started making their own barrels Im told and the problem went away...Jack Belk makes or made a Y unit with a forend screw in it, and it worked on every Ruger that I know of, even with the old barrels, that barrel has to return to the same position when resting in the Y...I think some other gunsmiths built a similar option..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
270 win
https://i.imgur.com/gOJ9dF3.jpg?1

140gr hornady sst
https://i.imgur.com/GqVfvNN.jpg

130gr nosler bt
https://i.imgur.com/iHeWUMa.jpg?1

30-06 brass made in to 270 win brass
https://i.imgur.com/bqRObb4.jpg

yeah, it ain't accurate at all. bsflag

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Early on Ruger did use some inferior barrels, that's common knowledge..But at some point the started making their own barrels Im told and the problem went away.

quote:
Early on Ruger did use some inferior barrels, that's common knowledge..But at some point the started making their own barrels Im told and the problem went away.

You're right, early on they bought barrels from Douglas and Wilson, which was no problem at the time. Then Ruger's Quality control from those vendors fell to the way side. Douglas had a problem with long throats, Wilson just stopped making good barrels for them. Ruger makes a good barrel these days but they allowed their brand to be trashed in the 80s.

Don't get me wrong, both vendors made a lot of good barrels but they made a bunch of bad ones too.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have found that glass bedding the Alex Henry forend helped quite a bit.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:
270 win made in 1973
https://i.imgur.com/gOJ9dF3.jpg?1

140gr hornady sst
https://i.imgur.com/GqVfvNN.jpg

130gr nosler bt
https://i.imgur.com/iHeWUMa.jpg?1

30-06 brass made in to 270 win brass
https://i.imgur.com/bqRObb4.jpg

yeah, it ain't accurate at all. bsflag

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

quote:

You're right, early on they bought barrels from Douglas and Wilson, which was no problem at the time. Then Ruger's Quality control from those vendors fell to the way side. Douglas had a problem with long throats, Wilson just stopped making good barrels for them. Ruger makes a good barrel these days but they allowed their brand to be trashed in the 80s.

Don't get me wrong, both vendors made a lot of good barrels but they made a bunch of bad ones too.

i own a 1973 #1, i'm wondering what barrel it is?

― Nikola Tesla

One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

quote:

i own a 1973 #1, i'm wondering what or whose barrel it is?

― Nikola Tesla

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably no way to know. They were sourcing them from a couple of manufacturers. Main thing is how does it shoot?

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most builders use a barrel attached hanger for the FE piece, and provide a bit of clearance between the FE and the action. The rest of it is up to the barrel, the load, the shooter, etc.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:

Probably no way to know. They were sourcing them from a couple of manufacturers. Main thing is how does it shoot?

look back about 3 posts dancing

― Nikola Tesla

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I piss on the idea that three shot groups are any standard for accuracy. pissers

Five shot groups are barely better, (unless I do it) but they do show your zero better.

When I initally purchased this rifle I was not a good shot. Of course I thought so, but humans are capable of infinite self deceit. Looking for an answer to my inaccurate #1, I followed the advice of the "in print experts" and installed a hanger screw. The rifle still shot poorly.

Recently I decided to remove the hanger screw and see how it does, before attempting anymore monkeying with the factory bedding of the fore end. It shot well:

Three shots are the current gold standard because it is easy to shoot a small three shot group.

Five shots is common, because it is still easy to shoot a decent group.

But it is easy to throw a round with a ten shot group

Which is why, I am not showing a ten shot or twenty shot group at 600 yards.

Based on my experience, the factory knows about bedding its rifles better than anyone else and I recommend that you do not screw with it. Instead, test ammunition and find something that shoots well.

I have a Ruger #1 in 35 Whelen and my groups are not nearly as tight as the groups with my 30-06. But that is because 225 gr and 250 gr bullets kick so hard, I have a terrible flinch with the rifle. It also knocks me out of position, requiring a reset of my elbow, rest, and sometimes I have to reset my glasses where the scope bell hit them!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before, the first four groups that I shot with the 110 grain TTSX from my Ruger No.1 B in 270 Win.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, Fjold!!
Nice avatar, too! Smiler

John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Fjold's target is what I've seen happen many times in 2 piece stock systems like the No. 1. Barrel timing is everything for guns that are not fully free floated. A half grain of powder doesn't mean that much to most bolt action rifles but it does in a No 1. There is always a pressure point along the barrel that interrupts barrel vibration from the breach to the muzzle (barrel timing) that screws things up but it can be over come.

You can see the opening and closing of Fjold's groups as the timing changes with just ½ grain changes. Yes his velocity is increasing but his barrel vibrations are changing too.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Recent 100 yard groups with my unaltered No.1 7.62x39 using 123gr steel case FMJ milsurp and 123gr American Eagle. Accurate enough out to intermediate range.

And a 100 yard group with handloaded 130gr TSX BT at 2700 fps mv. Strong action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass bedding forends on most single shots usually makes a big difference, glass them tight seems to work best..If not you have the materialleft to change it so it does work..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
This 3 shot, 5 shot argument is worn out and never had any value to it..

I use 3 shot groups to sight in then shoot another 3 shot group to verify and on top of that, I shoot another on top of that one, then another or more..beats wasting ammo on 5 shot groups..just stack those 3 shot groups on top of each other until your hearts content..

On a big game rifle nothing wrong with 3 shot groups..I haven't shot 5 shots at a deer or whatever since my very early cowboy days at the ranch, before Jack O'Connor told me about sighting in a rifle! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120