Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester
 Login/Join

posted
Purchased Winchester hi wall years ago. Finally went deer hunting with it. Shot dow at 165 yards, another doe at 225 yards and cull buck at 200 yards.
Had to pass on really good buck at 325 yards because I had never shot that rifle past the 225 yards
Loading max (59) gr 4895
first doe 120# shot quartering, shoulder and exited right behind rear leg, second shoulder and skin at back of ham stopped it, the buck right behind shoulder & he ran 70 feet. I was really impressed.
I am using 300 gr Hornady and it weighed 265 gr recovered.
I read someone shoots 300 gr barnes and used reloader 7 and shoots 2370 fps with reloader 7
Has anyone reloaded 405 winchester

This might be my goto gun I was really impressed

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I think the 405 is one of the most under sated cartridges out there! Congrats to you and welcome to the forum!

JDA

posted Hide Post
Just tried Barnes bullet, loaded to what they recommended length, 56.5 gr Varget + 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards
will load some more and sight in at 200 and then see what it does at 300 yards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gei, anxious to hear how it does.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my best accuracy with max load of Benchmark (use hodgdon website) with a 300gr hornady soft point.
(Btw foul the barrel before shooting for accuracy - first shot was 2" lower, 2nd an inch lower (and they were about 20fps slower) than the rest of the shots 2405 fps.)

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
gei
Welcome to Accurate Reloading.
I use a Winchester 95 in 405. I bought with the idea of using nothing but cast bullets. I got Mountain Molds to make beautiful 350 grain gas checked mold.
I've found that IMR 3031 is the powder for my rifle/bullet combination.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, can you post a pic of that bullet and another of a loaded cartridge? Thanks.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JDA-CO about the .405 Winchester being under rated.I can't beleive how accurate my Ruger No.1 is in .405 Win. I have shot many sub MOA groups out of mine.Ken Waters pet load book has lots of reloading data. a little dated, but works! IMO look no futher than Ken Waters pet load for the .405

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I never paid much attention to the 405WCF until a friend let me shoot his. The factory load of a 300 grain bullet at 2,200fps is only at 44,000 PSI.

In a strong action like a No 1, you could load that to serious power.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
52gr of VV N-133 with any 300 grain bullet will get you superb accuracy and MV right at 2250( I love the specifically 405 designed 300 gr TSX)

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine.

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote