Find
Notify
Tools

C. Sharps to the range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted

I took the new 32-40 C. Sharps 1875 to the range for the first time. Needless to say I was more than pleased.
I did try the tang mounted sight, but my old eyes didn’t like that.
So I mounted the Trijicon AccuPower 2.5-10 with extra high Talley steel detachable rings. Wow! What a difference!

I used three different bullets. The target was 50 yards.
150 grain .321 Hawk Bullets with a .030 jacket. A dead soft bullet which Hawk custom made for me. Velocity 1925-1955FPS
165 grain .321 Hornady FTX Velocity 1780-1834
170 grain Speer flat nose bullets Velocity not recorded
All rounds were loaded with 26 grains of Norma 203B aka RL-15. Federal Benchrest Primers.
Brass courtesy Quality Cartridge.
No pressure signs. In fact, I think I can increase the charge a bit.
Velocities were close to what Quick Load had predicted.
All in all, a great time at the range! The groups might have been better if I had remember my rabbit eared loaf bag! But hey! What’s a trip to the range if you don’t forget something?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sharps with Smokeless Powder in a BP cartridge?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Brand new manufacture. Smokeless! a la 45/70 with smokeless powder.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking tack driver you have there!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rusty, what a wonderful choice of rifle and cartridge. Are you going to hunt with it?

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir! I am. I will try to thin the big population next trip to the ranch.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty,

cool rifle! Befor 2 years, I looked for nearly the same rifle. .32-40, later for a .22lr chambering. But it‘s not easy to get one here in Germany. And the price began at 2500€....
But if I see your‘s, I‘m thinking.....

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Looking great.

And, will the next go-round will have some cast lead projies in the mix?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very, VERY nice rifle and targets, Rusty...How do you like the Hawk bullets???

Got a very small request for you or anyone...HOW is the rear most(closest to the chamber) scope mount installed...dovetailed in or just screwed on. I have two Sharps, 50-90 and 38-55, that need scopes to help my bad eyes...I bought a Leatherwood/Malcolm Hi-Lux 6x but can't decide on the mounting technique. The side mount will need one screw anyway and the mount is much more costly than a "normal" steel base.

Any solutions will be appreciated.

A picture would be worth a 1000 words. Screwed on, dovetailed on or side mounts are all viable solutions...I gotta get off the pot and decide which.

Thanks

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures. It appears to just be mounted to the top of the tang.Hope these help.

I just removed the standing sight. I took off the tension spring. Took off the sight and re installed the spring.
I had intended to use the sight. However when I looked thru the rear aperture disk , I saw strands in the hole. I spent 20 minutes trying to "remove" the objects. It was only when I rotated the disk and saw that the "strands" did not move that I realized I was possibly seeing a reflection of some laser surgery scars on my retina. Oops!
I'll be satisfied with the scope!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle, Rusty.

I'll be working North east of Houston and down by Point Comfort in the next couple of months. I'll have to look you up for lunch one day when I'm there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rusty...didn't 'splain myself well enough...I was refering to the scope mounting.

My Malcolm scope has target mount so I'll need target blocks anyway...have to farm that out. That offset hammer kinda gets in the way a bit....no problems with my 1885.

Been reading up on that cartridge...think your gonna have just way too much fun with it. Big Grin rotflmo

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The mounts I had put on the rifle are Tally flat base mounts. Because of the hammer and large objective I am using Extra high Talley QD Rings.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Frank,
You have a PM!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Rusty...Thanks again...I was trying to cut a fat hog and use up some of my various height 3/8" wide target blocks and keep the block width overhang to a minimum....maybe mill them a bit to narrow the width. I see they are screwed on...I was starting to get all complicated again. Roll Eyes

Tally QD's are a very good way to keep scope and rifle separate and have a spare scope close by for hiccups.

Still think you need to ship that toy my way...it's not good for some folks to have all that fun...bad for the complexion and digestion...shocker lol Big Grin

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the C Sharps medium range verniers mounted on my 1874 C Sharps. It is accurate as can be but the limiting factor is my eyes at range and certainly beyond 200 yards.

I was looking at the MVA set up with the 5X scope. But I might have to try your set up as certainly the Talleys would be strong and a newer scope even better. I have the Talleys on almost all my rifles anyway so it makes sense.

Do you know what spacing they set yours up for Rusty? I think mine is drilled and tapped for a 7 inch spacing - but that might not be correct and Ill have to look that up.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The center of bases are approx. 3 inches apart. The rear base edge is approx. 5/16 " from the reciever.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. ^^ I am going to get to this project one day soon.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,

Can you tell me the trigger pull weight? I‘m thinking about a .22lr M1875, and I don‘t know, should I choose the single set trigger....

Thanks,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Choose the single set trigger. My trigger is heavy. It was an oversight for me to not order one with my rifle.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Thanks for replay. Ok, I will see to get the single set. At the moment, I‘m at 2300$ with my configurations... I will not think on the price in Euro.....