Find
Notify
Tools

Martini cadet question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Just a thought.....would a 41 magnum be too much for a Martini action ?

I have just cut a 405 Grenadier barrel for my Siamese mauser, I have a 41 mag S&W for metallic silouette and a 41 special in a single action...I have a thing for 40 calibre....

....any thoughts on the Martini ??

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK here goes. 44 magnum is out because it can bulge chambers. After reaming the 44 magnum chamber little metal is left to support the chamber walls. So that one is out. I see no problem with the 41 special as the pressures should be lower than the 44 maggies 36000 psi.
I've seen a couple done in 225 winchester which according to some is streching the limits. Supposedly the action is rated for 65k. But you have to consider that the barrel shank is only 3/4" in diameter so cartridge selection can be somewhat critical. No barn burner loads though. Frank

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
How about a .40-50 Sharps straight? 1-7/8 inch case, you could easily set it up to use a .410" diameter barrel and cases are easily made from .303 British.

Case may be a bit long to fit through the action, though.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. The 30-30 based cases have a base diameter of 10.72mm and the 41 Mag. has a body of 11 mm......a possibility.
As for the 40-50 short Steve, I was hoping to stay with a factory round as nearly all of my Martini's are wildcats, but.....but the short 303B out to 41 sounds intriguing....mmmmmmm

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chambered my rifle to 7-30 Waters really like the caliber.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1503 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Pressures worry me.....7-30 Waters @ 45,000 PSI max.....41 Mag. @ 35,000 PSI Max....So should be OK Confused

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got them in 219 donalson and 219 imp zipper - both 55000 rounds 41 in no problem martinis are quite a strong acction

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
An item from a local forum....

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice, great cartridge!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd stay with the 30-30 family if I were you; my first choice would be the 25-35, which I'll have if I rebarrel mine. Right now mine is one of the ones rechambered for 32 special, and the recoil with factory loads in the little rascal is nothing short of brutal! I love to shoot it, though, with TrailBoss powder and Nambu bullets, or cast bullets in the 110gr to 140gr area, at 32-20 speeds--say 1700 ft/sec or less. The recoil is comfortable, the load will handle varmints or small deer, and the original sights are practical, whereas the factory 32 specials don't drop down into the lowest setting for 200+ yards.
windy

sonny, whar I come from, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would measure the cyl wall on a Smith or Ruger 41 mag and compare that to what's left after chambering and shanking a cadet barrel .. I think you can use the pitch diameter of the threaded barrel in doing so.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote