New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new SS 30-30
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With the help of some of the folks on AR I found a Savage mod. 219 break open SS rifle in 30-30 Win. I had one of these many years ago as a kid and shot deer and antelope with it..

I saw one of these customized and decided I needed to have one and now I do..I test fired it at 50 yards with factory ammo and three shot went into one hole about the size of a nickel. Repeted it with some handloads I had on hand..

I intend to stock it in a piece of Russian Circassian walnut I have on hand, Fluer de Lais checkering drill and tap it for a scope. I will use either Weaver or Talley bases as I have 7/8" rings for both and the scope will be my Leupold 2.5X Alaskan. I will re-case harden the receiver, and add a barrel band front sight with a NECG gold face patridge post, a barrel band swivel, and maybe even a quarter rib set up for a Talley peep and as the base for the mounts. Add a Neidner steel checkered butt plate, and a Talley two screw grip cap, top it off with a rust blue witg all screws and little parts Nitre blued. It will be my Texas whitetail old mans retirement gun, sit'
en in a stand watching a 125 yard corn feeder, on a low fenced ranch that I'm particularly fond off.

.May or may not cut the barrel from the original 24 inches to 18 or 20, not sure yet..In the meantime Im having a ball shooting this little (guestamated 4.5 pound) darling..Its different and it shoots and it handles so well and is streamlined as can be..lean and mean..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it will be a great gun when you're finished. I wish I had the talent to do that kind of work. Don't make it too pretty or someone will open their wallet and you might let it slip through your hands. beer

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear discussion on the 219. I have a special love for the early ones that had an inline striker system instead of an internal hammer, not that there is a function change. I have remade all the internal parts on a couple of these; got rid of the stamped parts. Made a steel tang safety and inletted it into the tang. Replaced the trigger guards with steel guards from a krag. A worth while project! And there is an Alaskan up top!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 219 in 30/30, like a Euro stalking rifle but only cost $150.
Be careful ejecting cases, they will put your eye out.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot mine yesterday for the first time and your right it bounced the case over the barn!!

On the upside it shot an inch and under with several loads from 130 gr. factory to my 170 gr. handloads all to the same POI an only took one tap to the right to get the irons POI 2 inches right and was also 2 inches high, so its sighted in and Im going to play with a bunch before I start customizing it..Its just too much fun to shoot and recoil is nil...

I think some interprising gunsmith can take the ejectors out and make it a extractor gun, I would prefer that..

Gwahir,
Very interested in your work on these guns. Do you accept outside work? if not could you email me a how to on your conversions, this is all pretty new to me other than the outside work ands stock work..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not take outside work, Ray. You need some old guy with a milling machine and obsessive compulsive behavior!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a bunch of those..Right now it shoots great and the trigger pull is awesome..Im looking for a trigger guard, I have some Brno mod.21,22 trigger guards, that might work and would look great..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, that's a neat rifle. If you want to e-mail me a photo or two, I can post them for you -- but don't get in trouble with your bride by using her best sheets.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was always impressed with the custom 219 that John Madole did some years back.
There's pics of it in the attached thread
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...n=163287&type=thread

If I remember right , he used one of the small tube Redfield scopes on it. I like the stock style. I'd rework the rear of the action to avoid the round out cut or the roundell as he used though,
I think this rifle just sold at one of the auctions not long ago and for not an awful lot of $$ for the work.
John did quite a few outstanding projects that were out of the mainstream so to speak.

I have an early 219 in 22H that'll get the treatment when some other projects are out of the way. Picked it up elcheapo as the lever was stuck open. $40 brought it home.
I have a Leopold Alaskan 2.5 doing nothing right now too.
But for some reason 32-40 caliber and iron sights of vintage look are calling to me more than a scoped Hornet.
So many directions to go, so many projects..

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it will be ank impressive looking rifle when you get everything done.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Leupold Alaskan2.5X on a 7x57 Im just finishing up, may use it on the 30-30..

I really want a 25-20 Savage m-219 more than anything else..If anyone knows of one let me know please..I want to build a 25-35 Win. one of my all time favorite calibers for deer at up to 200 yards..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will be a sweet rifle. I have re-stocked a 30-30 H&R Handi Rifle for my grandson. He will shoot 100 grain CEB Raptors in it at about 2600 fps.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a sweet rifle, but like every neat rifle I get somebody had to have it and hard green is real hard to turn down, so away it went, it was fun while it lasted but its been replaced with a like new win. mod 95 Saddle ring carbine in 30-06..One of the limited addition guns from the 80s as I recall..I found two loads that shoot one inch at 100 with the peep sight that came on it..Im definatly a gun whore or pimp,not sure which..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120