THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Westley Richards .500 For Nº 2 Case

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards .500 For Nº 2 Case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new rifle:

;
;
;
:

I need information about the rifle and the cartridge (BP)
I think in reload. Nitro for Black Powder?
Best Regards and Merry Christmas for all the Forum.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. You will enjoy it. You have an 1871 WR "Improved Martini" sporting rifle. I would suggest buying Wal Winfer's Vol 4 of "British Single Shot Rifles - Westley Richards". There is a picture on page 62 almost exactly like your rifle.

For the cartridge. You should do a chamber cast to ensure that you have a .577/500 nr 2 Express and that someone has not rechambered it. Buffalo Arms (www.buffaloarms.com) has reloading dies and brass.

For loading, Winfer used a Lyman 50/70 mold (515141) to cast a 440gr bullet for blackpowder. He also used 35gr of 4198 behind a 360gr bullet for 1650fps.

Original loads were:
135gr BP, 340-380gr bullet, 1750-1850fps
60gr Cordite, 380gr bullet, Eley load
53gr Cordite, 440gr bullet, Kynoch load

I have an I Hollis retailed .500/450 nr 2 1869 WR Sporting Rifle.

You can see mine and a friends Military model at
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=180738

If you want to learn more or discuss WR or Martinis there are two good boards

Gunboards Martini Forum
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

and

EZBoards Martini Forum at
http://pub182.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hector: I deon't know what I find more disturbing, that bloody lovely rifle or your neat-as-a-pin reloading bench ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heart busting rifle!

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.
I will be put in this forum and other (Nitro Express forum) a post with some photos of the British proofs marks of the rifle.

Blacksmith: do you know what is the price of this rifle?
Thanks in advance
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
price is pretty subjective. Alot depends on condition and location. There were quite a few sent to South Africa and they seem to be surfacing lately. They appeal to a limited group of people who like to spend the time and money to get them to shoot. Plus, these are not common rifles or calibers and most people think they are ugly compared to the Martini Henry (which people think are ugly too). A rifle similar to mine, but in perfect condition went for $8900, while a sporter (without the rod) I saw in similar condition went for $2000. If I was offered your rifle, I would gladly pay $2000-2500.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...