THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Is this the best I should expect?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the best I should expect?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a beautiful Ruger M1 that I stocked myself in 300WinMAG. Have used it for hunting with great results, but wanted to explore what I might be able to do with bench shooting accuracy.
I know its a factory action circa 1985 but up to 300 yards it always seems to hit the mark for hunting.
So got some Lapua Brass, explored a variety of powders and used fairly light tips right around 165gn BT. Fitted with my March 80x for grins during the test.

1.19" groups at 200 yards
.43" groups at 100 yards

looking for a signal from the experts on whether I should just call it quits or try some different slow burning powder combinations with heavier bullets.

Any perspective and help appreciated.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
With proper handloads I get around 1" groups at 100 meters with my Ruger No.1 rifles. Maybe a bit tighter is possible but not really worth the effort for me.

The laid back lock time of the falling block action with its heavy internal hammer that swings through a wide arc is likely problematic for getting extreme tack driving accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rje, sub 1/2" groups with a factory Ruger? I'd say count yourself lucky and move on.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
rje, sub 1/2" groups with a factory Ruger? I'd say count yourself lucky and move on.

Absolutely. These are hunting rifles, and you got a good one.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the posts. sorry for my delayed response. 4sixteen special thanks.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote