THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Holy crap, what a great concept!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy crap, what a great concept!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Is this thing the nuts, or what? I'll bet Edouard Foa would have liked it.

Cool

https://www.uberti-usa.com/188...teney-stalking-rifle

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see that some maker is willing to go for it; it's pretty cool by my tastes! And a combo picatinny/quarter rib, clever. Thanks Bill!

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why oh why would anyone ever put a Picattinay rail on a classic rifle? Otherwise, a good option for about $1200.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is awesome

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I'm going to be the bad guy here.....that pistol grip looks terrible and the picatinny rail just doesnt belong, it would look better with a straight grip.....just my personal opinion.
....didn't Selous use a Farquarson? I would have thought that a Ruger No.1 would have made a better "Selous" rifle stir

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yuma, you make valid points, but just the concept of someone trying to bring a stalking rifle in .303 to market in this year of our Lord 2020 boggles my mind!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
What an abomination! Looks like an NEF handi-rifle and a Ruger #3 had an affair at Roy Weatherbys house and this was the offspring.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill, its only redeeming quality is its excellent calibre....that action would look better as a traditional "American style" long range rifle.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll give one point for the concept of a new 303 single shot.
Negative 5 for the execution and another negative 5 for misappropriating the "Courteney" name.
Just wrong in so many ways...

That grip... sometimes called a "bagged" grip but I don't think that was the bag they were thinking of...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That grip.....looks like a dangling ball sack. rotflmo

At least they offer the option of a plain quarter rib......

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The now defunct Ballard rifle company made a series of High Walls in a British Express rifle style. I stopped in for a visit on my trip to Yellowstone, over a decade ago, and handled a few. Several Nitro Express rounds were represented, and they were all extremely classy rifles. That Uberti looks like a clown show by comparison. I would not own one no matter how cheap it could be had. That may make me some kind of snob, but so be it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is....why couldn't Ruger ever make a rib that contoured to the barrel profile like that one? I'm sure most people who like these types of rifles would gladly pay extra for it...within reason. That's always been a major pet peeve for me with the Ruger....and I've owned several. Still own one.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, I guess Uberti needs to go back in its hole and quit trying.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Looks like an interesting rifle, in .303B it would be a fun plinker. I'd be game for less than $1k

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Bill, I like the concept, but it’s so gaudy and poorly envisioned. The stock shape is a little ugly, but could have been classier, and get rid of that ebony fore end piece. Put on a real set of iron sights with built in scope mounts. The CCH is a nice touch and the caliber is great. I wish Uberti had consulted with me and others on this project, expanded to a few more calibers, and this would have been a big hit for about $1200-$1500. Being a little cocky here on my ideas of what a gun should look like.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t think anyone implied such a drastic action?
This rifle is simply a case of some poorly thought out aesthetics, the stock profile and Picatinny Rail look to the 1/4 rib need not be so.
Stock and rib design conceived by a millennial, raised on anime cartoons, with no taste?

Calibre choice is classic, 24” barrel length is right, Highwall type action is good......
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you are trying to tie the rifle to a British hunter who was famous for using a pair of Farquarson rifles in .461 for his hunting, you would think they would have made a rifle that resembled them. Farkies are hammerless, this is not. I have never seen a British rifle with such a tasteless buttstock. If it were a standard pistol grip, a true Prince of Wales grip, or even a straight grip, that would have been fine, but face it, it looks like a scrotum and I sincerely doubt that anyone would ever, if a choice was given, voluntarely choose that configuration, I sure would not. Same for the picatinney, but at least you have an option there . They should have just said that they were building a single shot in the style of the Winchester Hi Wall and let it go at that. Great caliber though! Put a Farkie style lever on it, fix that horrible P/G and put the optional rib on it, maybe cut for Talley rings and I would be interested. Price is higher than a Ruger #1 that is much prettier and that sure is not going to help it sell. Face it, the concept was ok but the execution was just terrible.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great concept, poor execution.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about stalking rifles or Courtney.

The rifle is beautiful. (with irons)

But even with the picatinny you'll never get a scope back far enough, even with god awful weaver hi offsets.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I know nothing about stalking rifles or Courtney.

The rifle is beautiful. (with irons)

But even with the picatinny you'll never get a scope back far enough, even with god awful weaver hi offsets.

See, even ugly girls can find love! sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:

Bill, I like the concept, but it’s so gaudy and poorly envisioned. The stock shape is a little ugly, but could have been classier, and get rid of that ebony fore end piece. Put on a real set of iron sights with built in scope mounts. The CCH is a nice touch and the caliber is great. I wish Uberti had consulted with me and others on this project, expanded to a few more calibers, and this would have been a big hit for about $1200-$1500. Being a little cocky here on my ideas of what a gun should look like.

Bill,

I wish I had made my original comment as tactful as this one. I do like the concept and the caliber just not Uberti’s interpretation. I apologize if my opinion came off too strong (I think it was.), and I did not intend that your opinion was not valid. I was a butthead (thankfully not necessarily a permanent condition for anyone!).

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a link to an article about the Ballard Highwall “Jeffery’s Sharps”.

http://oldbritishguns.com/190-...f-the-jeffery-sharps

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id love it in a 30-40 Krag, but a 308 would probably be better all around..my problem is I just bought a Lipskys Ruger #1A 24" barrel in 250-3000..I will be looking at this one for sure down the road. I would make some changes with a cabinet rasp and some metal work, but I do the same thing with any factory gun, including some pre 64 Winchesters..You tweek them..Their are no flys on the Ruger no.1, its an outstanding rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
For „me“ this would be a great concept, between old and new.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/...ter--high-grade.html

This one chambered for the .308Win or the 6,5 Creedmoor. I would choose it...

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Quarter rib can be replaced with an optional one of a more appropriate look of the gun. Since it is screw on piece, that should be a choice for the guns delivery, not an add on.
I would prefer a less sophisticated look, but it does have the most important feature in my mind, (and a detriment to many other people) an exposed hammer.
That price will certainly reduce the number of buyers and I hope does not foretell the end the gun.
I am not so sure about the "flair) of the lines in the pistol grip, but could live with it (if forced).

AS they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. Or in this case maybe the VINHOLDER. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice gun for the money, Some don't seem to know the difference betweed a quarter rib and a picanniny rib, been shooting too many platics machaine guns..I like the on/off option on it..and I might cut a slot for a 3 leaf just for the hell of it..so lets call it balance..

As to the prince of whales grip, its appropriate for a falling block action, a tad gappy but I could live with that or cut a tad off and round it and rechecker..and there is enough wood to cut it straight grip and I probably would, although the price of whales is a classic grip IMO..

Id love it in a 25-35 Win. or 30-30 Krag, but the 303 will do...

Price wise its competitive to a Ruger #1 Lipskys special, and beats the socks off a falling block Winchester of late production..

All I can say is "picky picky".. some folks would kick if they were in the water! as my pappy used to say. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I wonder how it would actually be with a 30mm 2.5-10x50 scope on it?

It seems like there is a lot of drop in the comb.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is a radical concept for you; if you don't like it, don't buy one.
Problem solved.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the concept, but nobody wants to shoot an ugly rifle--and frankly, that rifle looks like garbage. Fortunately, the remedy is simple, and easy. Replace that horrible pistol grip with something more sensible. Then get rid of that Picatinny rail. Who the hell ever heard of a classic rifle with one of those? Install a four leaf express sight in its place, and you would be good to go.

A decent stock and a four leaf express sight would actually turn that into a decent looking rifle, and another caliber option or two would help. 303 British is not found on the shelves of any gun stores in most places any more.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What an abomination! Looks like an NEF handi-rifle and a Ruger #3 had an affair at Roy Weatherbys house and this was the offspring.

jumping

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Tom, that is my opinion for the antis. Radical concept indeed! If you don't like it, don't buy one. Leave the rest of us alone. End of story.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't like it, don't buy one. Leave the rest of us alone. End of story.

Good Ol' NC, quoting scripture again.

"My way or the Highway"

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually don't think it's that ugly.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Id love it in a 30-40 Krag,

I like the look.

The pic rail is a great way to mount a scope.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I generally have a scope mounted about 12" from the butt. What kind of scope fits on here.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comb of the stock seems to be fairly low for any kind of scope with a decent sized objective.

I'd like to put a scope on one and handle it before I bought it.

I'd buy one, I think it is an attractive rifle, just not sure about the drop at the comb.

Would love to see it in the following calibers:

30-40 Krag, 30 Blaser, 7x65R, 8.5x63R Reb, 9.3x74R, 405, WCF, 35 Winchester something like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fully agree with your caliber choices, but if you think that stock and pistol grip are attractive, I can see why you need a scope to shoot. You need to have your eyes checked.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, that's why they make Fords + Chevys. Viva la difference.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Sorry, but I'm going to be the bad guy here.....that pistol grip looks terrible and the picatinny rail just doesnt belong, it would look better with a straight grip.....just my personal opinion.
....didn't Selous use a Farquarson? I would have thought that a Ruger No.1 would have made a better "Selous" rifle stir

Roger

One has to wonder why they would call it a Courtenay instead of a Selous. Courtenay could be anybody, probably a woman. Big Grin

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote