New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
The rifle that means the most to me is a single shot, it was the first rifle I ever shot, and was my fathers boys rifle.

It is a Remington #4 rolling block 22 long. The barrel is a bit pitted, some cracks in the stock, and some of the screw heads are a bit buggered. But despite all that, I thorougly enjoy rolling back the hammer, then the breech, having an empty case pop out, putting in a fresh round, and popping off another shot.

If I could keep but one gun, this would be the one.

So what is your favorite single shot, and does it bring back any special memories for you?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a Stevens M26 Crackshot that my Dad built out of several parts guns. I still have that rifle. I don't shoot it much anymore because I have another one in much better shape. I know what you mean about how nice it is to pull it out and shoot it.

Posts: 25 | Location: Stanley, NM | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sentimental ones are those that live forever. Mine is a remington model 514 that I got for my birthday many years ago. I learned how to shoot with that rifle and all 3 of my sons have learned safe gun handling as well with it. I suspect my grandchildren will learn to shoot with it too.
Paul....Thanks for digging up some fond memories.
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite single shot was also a Remington #4 rolling block. About 38 years ago, some no good dirty low down son of a very scabby female dog stole it. I've never been able to find one clean enough to replace it. Mine looked like it had never been fired.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Paul,

That's too bad about the loss of your #4. I'm only come accross a used one once, at a local shop. Actually, as I recall, there were a pair, one was pretty beat, but the other wasn't half bad.

I'll keep an eye out for a clean #4, and if I see one, will let you know.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
My first single shot,was an Iver Johnson,$12.95 at Western Auto,Lauel,Md,1948.The ammo.22 shorts.25 per box of 50.I became bitten by the bug of shooting a firearm.It' been a long love affair.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is not a cartridge rifle, it's a .22 pump up Benjamin air rifle. Purchased for me by my father back in the early '50's. Took my first squirrel with that rifle. At some point, my father refinished the wood, and put a leather buttpad on it. Lots of brass showing thru the blue, now, too. It's retired now, the pump/seals long since dried out to much to hold pressure.. As you know, many fond memories attached to that little gun..

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Pedestal,

Just so happens that I was also handed down a Benjamin 22 pump from my dad, not sure when he got it, but either late 30's or early 40's.

Back in the 80's the barrel on ours came unsoldered, and the seals went out. We took it to the Beeman outlet, and they sent it off somewhere for a re-build. Unfortunately when they re-braised the barrel the finish was really messed up, but it's still shooting as good as ever.

There are shops that can re-build and tune the benjamin pumps, and I'd recomend having it done. It's one thing to have a sentimental wallhanger, but the memories are much better shooting the old gun then just looking at it [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Pedestal,
There are shops that can re-build and tune the benjamin pumps, and I'd recomend having it done. It's one thing to have a sentimental wallhanger, but the memories are much better shooting the old gun then just looking at it [Big Grin]

One of these days I'm going to try and find one.. I called Croseman (they bought out Benjamin) to see about spare parts, and they said they hand "destroyed all the spares because there was a safety problem with the rifles". Now that REALLY ticked me off, knowing they just didn't want to fool with carrying the inventory... If you happen to hear of a place that does that kind of work, I'd appreciate a heads up...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
http://home1.gte.net/avairgun/index.htm

Never used them, but they might be worth contacting.