Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Ruger #1 in 6.5x68R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have to show off a little.

I've known Justin Sip for more than twenty years and I finally got around to having him build my idea of a stalking rifle--and the results are spectacular.

Details of the build are as follows:
-Ruger #1 chambered in 6.5x68R (equivalent to
264 Win Mag)

-Receiver modified, trued and threads re-cut
-Modified forearm hanger for accuracy
-Lightened trigger and re-contoured safety
-Custom quarter rib for Talley rings, with
pop-up ghost ring
-Ramped front sight with detent locking hood
-Color-cased lever, rings and stock furniture
-Rust-blued barrel and receiver
-Nitre-blued trigger, screws, safety, etc
-"Pretty" wood with ribbon-pattern checkering
-Leather covered recoil pad

I've been working up loads for it (not easy during a Michigan winter) and it looks like it will shoot (5) ELDX 143 grainers into 3/4" or better just at 3000fps. Why did I put a tactical" NF scope on a nice stalking rifle? It's capable of hitting quite a ways out and I wanted to be able to dial, rather than hold over.

Pictures will be posted asap--enjoy.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics of Dave's beauty!!!!

Posts: 3700 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more pics

Posts: 3700 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, I am jealous!

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Everything about that is sexy.

Caliber is freaking weird though.

I can't imagine a more rate cat than a flanged 6.5x68.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
That is spectacular.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Can you describe what was done regarding the forearm hanger?
Thanks

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all for the kind words. If folks are interested in details of the rifle--such as fore arm hanger mods--I suggest getting in touch with Justin Sip. It's up to him if he wishes to share his techniques.

Justin Sip
152 West Sunset Avenue
Toquerville, UT 84744
435-635-7808
justin@justincustomguns.com

Why the goofy caliber? Not so goofy, really. I've made chambering reamers for a long time and have come to appreciate some of the more
"obscure" calibers from the past. The 6.5x68 and 6.5x68R were developed c 1939. Equivalent to the 264 Win Mag, it's relatively unknown--part of its attraction. With the rimmed case, it's perfect for a falling block action.

RWS makes new brass (through Huntington), Redding offers 6.5x68 dies on special order (they had 'em in stock when I ordered). Unlike some rimmed/rimless cousins, the two cases are identical except for the rim. Loading data gave me the most trouble because, even thought 264WM and the 68R have virtually the same volume, the 68R seems to like slower powders, and it took me awhile to figure this out. So it wasn't difficult to put this project together and end up with an effective rifle in an unusual caliber.

Dave Manson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
us

All the above comments WOW!
Thanks for showing us. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, thanks for sharing Dave.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood Dave,

There are a lot of esoteric European calibers, I was surprised by now rare they are in Germany. Reloading is not as common as I would have thought.

We are packing it up here and shipping our last bits and pieces to New Mexico in the morning.

Common German calibers are 30-06, 308, 7x64, 8x57 and 9.3x62. You see 8x68s, 9.3x64, and so on but not as common as I would have thought.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to the States BWW. Are you going to be down south, near Hatch--the green chile capitol of NM? Good country down there and you're near the Gila wilderness.

Dave Manson

posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful rifle! Thanks for posting. I built a 6.5 x 68 rimless on a commercial Mauser 20-25 years ago, it's been an awesome caliber from whistle pigs to Wapiti. I am sure you'll be pleased with your decision - I've been contemplating a caliber for a Fraser I'm working on, we'll talk soon I'm sure.
Greg

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:
Welcome back to the States BWW. Are you going to be down south, near Hatch--the green chile capitol of NM? Good country down there and you're near the Gila wilderness.

Dave Manson

We'll be near Las Cruces on the base.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Spectacular certainly sums it up.

Where and what will be her first hunt?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless a possibility comes up sooner, it'll be Utah Mule Deer this fall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle in a special caliber. Thanks for sharing.

The Rimmed x68 is a rare one to find ammunition to but sometimes one can be lucky overhere to find a few boxes.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, I haven't been on in a long while. Thanks for posting this rifle Dave, it was fun to build. My contact info has changed.

www.jsipandsons.com
justin@jsipandsons.com

Its a new website not complete, but we are working on it. Thanks gain Dave for letting me build this rifle for you.

Justin Sip

Posts: 14 | Location: Jsip505@gmail.com | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing such a great job, Justin. Really enjoyed seeing your new shop when I picked up the rifle.

Dave Manson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'm glad your build turned out well. Unfortunately for a friend of mine, it has been a nightmare. He had asked me for a recommendation on a builder to create 2 take-down rifles on actions he had. I had met Justin at the shows, and he seemed to specialize in such rifles. The first rifle, a 404 Jeffery, was nearly completed 4 or 5 years ago, and was used as a display at the DSC that year. Since that time, and despite numerous emails, attorney letters, and the involvement of several BBB-type agencies in Utah, there has been complete silence...not even the guts to explain what issue there may be. I feel bad about making the recommendation to my friend, and wouldn't even have Justin Sipp make me a F'ing paper airplane.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lovely rifle. I have one being stocked by Gary Goudy right now -- but in .257 Roberts.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Alec. I'd like to see pics of yours when it's complete.

Dave Manson