New
Find
Notify
Tools

New England Firearm 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a chance to buy this nef 243 for cheap. It's my brother's and it don't group at all, I mean the groups are the size of a softball rather shooting factory or reloads. Would you buy it? And if so what would you do rebore the Barrell to a different caliber? It's the gun with the weaker action.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get it cheap and like tinkering, sure, go for it. The NEF/H&R 243 has a history of not liking 95gr> bullets, sticking with 90gr and below makes a difference, twist is supposed to be 1:10", but many have been confirmed at 1:11" which makes them marginal for heavier .243 bullets, specially if they're boattail. The inaccuracy could also be caused by oil or solvent on the locking surfaces, they should be clean and dry. You should also check the lock-up with the forend removed, barrel shouldn't be loose at all when action is closed, if it is, it needs to be refitted(shimmed), if H&R was still open, they'd fit a new barrel, but that's not an option anymore, the Ilion plant closed in 2015.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/fo...ex.php?topic=26264.0

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 bucks well its not that much of a loss. Im sure some gunsmith can do something with it. I dont know, im open to suggestions

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kennedy,

Try the lighter bullets as suggested before giving it to a gunsmith. The 85 gr Nosler Partition is a screamer in the 243 and kills deer size animals like lightning.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
kennedy, it shouldn't be the weaker action if it has a high pressure .243Win barrel on it, if it has beware ?

I have a few of them & Baikal singles to, just got a H&R .243Win & 7.62X39 Baikal in the last month .

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote