THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    need Ruger #1 re-barrel guidance

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need Ruger #1 re-barrel guidance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
I am thinking really hard at re-barrelling my #1B 300 Win Mag. I would like a 28" heavier target type taper with a Brockman muzzle brake. Would I be better off keeping the same factory chamber specs, or changing my max OAL? I dont have the OAL numbers, as I am at work, but my bullets now are seated pretty far out there .010 off the lands. Is there any advantage to bringing the lands closer for a shorter max OAL? I am trying to find a gunsmith in Idaho to do the work. I know Brockman is in Idaho, but I would like to hear some other options as well. I would like also hear any imput from past experiences, any thing I need to know, advice, things to stay away from etc...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find someone that has an Egyptian Hakim with the intergal muzzle brake. Take it out to the range and run a box of ammo through it. You will be amazed at the recoil reduction.
You will also be amazed at the increased noise level. The muzzle blast almost blows your hat off.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your # 1 shoots well .... leave it alone.

getting into the modifications you mention seems like a lot of cost for much ado about nothing.

if it doesn't shoot to your satisfaction get a real heavy single shot - like a sharps or better a wickliffe and see what they will do for you.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if thats what you want!!!! then by all means do it!!!!its darn hard to beat a custom barrel,a 28 would be sweettttttt,on the factory chamber specs i''d talk to a gunsmith that really knows his trade,lots of variables come with this project,but don''t worrie...short throat is always better, what twist 1in 10 will shoot up to 220s,my best advice is find a custom smith that shoots high power events,muzzle brakes are a good option ,i have several they flat work, the 300 win mag has taken all manner of trophy animals, and won plenty highpower corse events,feel free to mail me if you want more info,,,regards jjmp banana

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot a rifle with a muzzle break in 10 years and do not plan on doing it again.

Too noisy.

My 300 Win Mag has a Limbsaver recoil pad, and it is a pussycat to shoot.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...0GRIND-TO-FIT%20PADS

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote