New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool from Ruger...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Bill Ruger's company building the Number One, and Bill Ruger's 100th birthday; they are going build 100 fancy #1's. The only bad news; they are all going to be in 270...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Bill Ruger's company building the Number One, and Bill Ruger's 100th birthday; they are going build 100 fancy #1's. The only bad news; they are all going to be in 270...

Why? Why? Why? Ruger's management has lost their frickng minds. I'd buy one of these rifles if offered in a more versatile caliber like say a .30-06, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, or even a 7x57. Please, not another .270 with a twist for a 130gr bullet. For me, that's varmit or small deer. Just my take on it. Good luck Ruger with that production. It will have the same result as all those .220 Swifts with lousy wood that Cabelas bought last year as a package deal. Be interesting to see if Cabelas gets stuck with these .270s as well.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What configuration are these rifles supposed to be?

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caliber is probably irrelevant on these. There are surely 100 serious Ruger collectors that will buy them. On the other hand, it is interesting to see the limited Boddington Ruger series kicking around several years later even though they are set up almost perfectly as hunting rifles even if there are not enough collectors to keep them out of circulation.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Firearms makers' marketing staff knows nothing about guns. That is proven over and over.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
anything but .270! I's be a buyer for a 30 caliber of some kind.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly not for collector purposes but pick up any No.1 at a gun show for reasonable price, easy to replace barrel with about any caliber desired, simply change out $10.00 extractor to match caliber and away you go. Then you have a classic hunting rifle for anything on the planet.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
And here was their chance to do a batch in .450 No. 2 NE -- and ignite the most furious bidding wars in modern manufacturing history.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
they will sell out the first week if not sooner

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If the photos in G&A are any indication of the true quality, my guess is that have already been hoarded by distributors. Still, .280 Remington would have been much cooler. But, I'm on a 7mm kick right now.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think the 270 Winchester in a configuration(1S) just like Bill Ruger's own "21 Club" rifle is a fitting tribute to his Centennial birthday. Those not familiar with Ruger's own A. A. White engraved No.1, pictured several places in Wilson's book RUGER & His Guns, was not going to buy one of these rifles anyway.

Posts: 6 | Location: Cowhouse Creek Texas | Registered: 27 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a fancy No 1 in .270. Especially if it had a full stock.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
If the photos in G&A are any indication of the true quality, my guess is that have already been hoarded by distributors. Still, .280 Remington would have been much cooler. But, I'm on a 7mm kick right now.
Cabelas has a pile of 280s right now

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would make 0 difference what caliber they made it in, it would not please everyone..the .270 is about as close to an all around caliber as can be..Its killed everything that walks talks, crawls or swims over its career, why not the .270 ye ole whiners! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Scott:
.......it is interesting to see the limited Boddington Ruger series kicking around several years later even though they are set up almost perfectly as hunting rifles........

Man, I don't know about that, Mike.
My 450 NE only weighs 7.5 pounds, firing a 500gr bullet at 2400+fps, knocks even a large and determined man into next week.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a really nice full stock model in 7x57. Maybe I'll find one when we get off the boat back from the fatherland.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of those Ruger single shots manlichers for sale in 7x57 on GI and GA and such from time to time..

I would be inclined to jump on a NO. 1-S ( really rare)but a no. 1A fwt has a lot of appeal to me..Not to hot on the manlicher Single shot combo, it has no nostalgia its a bastard by design!@ sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .270 is perfect even if these guns are not really for shooting. The notion that the .270 is for small deer is laughable, unless small to you is Yukon moose. Shoot anything in the chest cavity with a decent bullet from a .270 and try to save its life. $1,000.00 says you can't. Hire the best vet surgeon on the planet, bet still stands.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I saw this as well and was excited....unitl I saw it would be in .270. Just not a fan. No good reason, just not interested. 30-06, 7x57, even a 257 Roberts. I'm sure they'll still sell well.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I see a lot of those Ruger single shots manlichers for sale in 7x57 on GI and GA and such from time to time..

I would be inclined to jump on a NO. 1-S ( really rare)but a no. 1A fwt has a lot of appeal to me..Not to hot on the manlicher Single shot combo, it has no nostalgia its a bastard by design!@ sofa

I agree Ray; I have a full stocked M77 that I really like, but give me a 1B, 1A, or tropical in the No. 1. That full stock No 1. never did get me cranked.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a 270 fan, but when I think about it rationally, I know it's a great caliber. It will not just shoot 130's. You can shoot up to 160's, if you can find them. The 270 isn't a 1000 yard target round, but it's a great big game round used at reasonable ranges. The 150 partition is a great bullet for the big stuff. That 26" Barrel should really help in the velocity department. I would have voted for a 26" 7x57 with a long throat, but Ruger neglected to ask me for my all-important opinion! Wink

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
The .270 is perfect even if these guns are not really for shooting. The notion that the .270 is for small deer is laughable, unless small to you is Yukon moose. Shoot anything in the chest cavity with a decent bullet from a .270 and try to save its life. $1,000.00 says you can't. Hire the best vet surgeon on the planet, bet still stands.

I won’t take that bet the last Northern BC moose i shot when I lived in Fort Nelson, one shot to the heart with a 130 gr Sierra and it was DRT

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope the collectors enjoy them. I have had four #1s, all .22 centerfire. Accuracy sucked on all of them, so I sure won’t be chasing one of these.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
And here was their chance to do a batch in .450 No. 2 NE -- and ignite the most furious bidding wars in modern manufacturing history.

Agreed

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
In a 270 it is a Debbie Downer.

Posts: 2321 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Townsend Whelens quote.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I remember Townsend Whelens quote.

The 30-06 is never a mistake.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rechamber and rebore to 375 Flanged NE?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also thought the 270win was kind of lame for quite a while, and I have owned 30/06, 308NM, 338RUM, 7mmWby,and some others that skip my mind right now. I had nothing good to say about the cartridge, that is until I bought one! The 06 used to be my favorite cartridge, that is until I bought a 270. Guess what, I have a new favorite cartridge, yep, the same 270win that was Jack O'connors favorite. I don't buy guns anymore in my retirement years because I don't shoot near as much and I don't have the funds, but if I was twenty five years younger I would lust after a Ruger #1 chambered in 270win.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The thread that wouldn't die. It gets two posts every 6 months now! popcorn

The original posts were in September of 2016, then two posts in November of 2016. Then a couple of post in Dec 2016, followed by three posts in April of 2018. A couple of posts in July and August and then a couple in November.

Do you think that the group of people on here is getting smaller?

Here's my Ruger No. 1 chambered in 270 Win. But, it's an old one, not one of the 50th anniversary models. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice cherry-pick Frank. Not being a fan of Ruger #1's, it's tough to pass on nice wood figure especially if both sides are similar. Lots of one-sider's out there.
It's not all about the caliber.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Nice cherry-pick Frank. Not being a fan of Ruger #1's, it's tough to pass on nice wood figure especially if both sides are similar. Lots of one-sider's out there.
It's not all about the caliber.

The other side is not as nice but still acceptable.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well picked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once wrote to Ruger asking that they make a run of #1's in 32-40 and 38-55 few weeks later I get a reply stating that they didn't think there would be enough people interested in their single shot rifles if they were chambered for those two obsolete calibers. I'll wager that there are more than a few #1's out there in 32-40 and 38-55 plus others chambered in calibers Ruger never even cataloged. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshotlover:
I once wrote to Ruger asking that they make a run of #1's in 32-40 and 38-55 few weeks later I get a reply stating that they didn't think there would be enough people interested in their single shot rifles if they were chambered for those two obsolete calibers. I'll wager that there are more than a few #1's out there in 32-40 and 38-55 plus others chambered in calibers Ruger never even cataloged. Frank

Not enough interest.
But the only two cartridges that are not exclusive to a distributor or an anniversary model are 450 Marlin and 450 Bushmaster. How many out there would that be a first choice?

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshotlover:

I know Ruger once ran a few No. 1 guns in .38-55 (produced either 400 or 289 of them) and I am happy to have one of them.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Ruger chambered some Model 3 rifles in 375 Win, which is essentially a hopped up .38-55

Frank

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, Steve, I am sure envious. What a great old caliber. Do you happen to know land and groove dimensions and rate of twist? How does it shoot?
If Ruger ever made these in .38-55 and/or .32-40 again, I'll bet a number of wannabe schuetzen shooters like myself would step up.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun Companies do weird things.
Years ago i was at a shop that had 2 model 700s brand new sitting on the rack. one in 25,06 and one in 35 Whelen. Guess witch one had sights on it !
Who would ever wan't open sights on a 25,06 ?

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats not to like about a 270. It really is a great round but I got to admit I am not interested in another one. I have always wanted a #1 in a 257 Roberts.

Now what I could get on board hating is a Commemorative #1 rifle in a 6.5 CM.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote