THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Let me see your No. 1's and No. 3's...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let me see your No. 1's and No. 3's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted Hide Post
How much would you expect to pay for a custom stock on a Ruger #1 (in general). I'd love to redo the wood on one of mine.

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 74 | Location: Somewhere between South Dakota and Arizona | Registered: 01 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roaddog...

Hard to answer. It totally depends on what you want. If you are talking a wood stock by somebody good the price can and will run up into thousands.

When I was young I fell in love with elegant custom rifles. I had no money and decided, if I were ever to get one, I had better learn to make my own. That was almost fifty years ago.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Update:

Here´s a new pic of my .30-40Krag #1 target rifle. I changed the old Leupold scope to a Vortex 4-16x42, I got as x-mess gift. Big Grin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here are the components I have so far. Kip Wood cleaned up the metal and installed the Unertl bases. This is the bargain Unertl mentioned above.

The wood shown is take-offs that will be modified till it looks the way I want it to and sent to Charlie Grace as a pattern for my good wood. I want the butt stock to look like the Klein rifle above. This is to be a 1960's light varmint rifle. The fore end will get longer, fatter and have a ebony fore end tip.

At this point the Kepplinger trigger is not installed.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Dick,

glad to see your making progress. it sure looks better than the way I found it and sent it to you.

max

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max,

Thanks. I really appreciate what you did.

Kip said every piece of metal needed minor dings removed but it cleaned up good. As seen here it's quite light, that's a No. 2 Douglas barrel which looks right to me with the 1" Unertl.

Before I get too involved in whittling on pattern stocks I gotta get some finish on my buddy's stock which you can see in the background.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to revive this thread. My friend's stock has finish and is off to Kip for checkering. I can now concentrate on this gun.

I will post more when I have something new and interesting to show.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are 2 shots of my favorite No 1. It's a .30/06 that was reworked and slimmed into a British style sporter by the late MV Highsmith. Engraving by former head Colt engraver Corky Frankolini. That is No 1B factory wood reshaped by Highsmith and stained with his favorite alkanet root dye.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. That's what I call "A gentleman's deer rifle".

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post

A little update here... This is the gun a few weeks ago. It is drying in the vise after I wet it down. When it dried I sanded off the whiskers.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Further update. I took this today after I hand rubbed the sixth coat of finish on it. I'm using McWilliams Alkanet Refinishing Oil.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks great!

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Siblings, 257 Roberts and 7x57

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My old 270 Win doing what it was meant to do. 2016 opening day in Carbon County, Wyoming. 378 yards with a 110 grain Barnes TTSX

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of my 300 H&H. It's a regular 1s, not a Boddington. It's from this last June, Namibia.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
My 450/400.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My son's "tactical" 35 Whelen

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I know a number of people don't like big scopes on No. 1s,,, I have no problem with them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
450/400

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
450/400

I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but anyone that doesn't think that is a thing of beauty has no eyes and therefore can be excused for the lack of judgment.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius, that's a knock-out 450/400.

Beautiful wood on that stock!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here's the Number 3 in 30-40 Krag that I bought recently. I'm bumping this up so that maybe some of you guys will re-post the photos that are missing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I started this thread when I started to stock this rifle. I wanted ideas on stock lines, etc. Now that Photobucket is making life difficult, I will repost this picture of the finished rifle so you can see it. This represents many hours of work.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't do photos, but have a NO. 1 w/ Unertl 16X on it w/ 7 twist 22-250 caliber and w/ 80gr SMK's it is a very accurate rifle. Wish mine had your wood!! My No.3 as we speak is being operated on by the fine folks at Douglas w/ new barrel in 6BR for coyote hunting and it will also take the Unertl. Common wood on both of the rifles, but the No.3 was sent to Ahlmans for Carol to do a nice checker job after I trimmed and slimmed stocks a bit. I have had both of mine completely apart and a bit tricky to put them back together but once apart the design and strength of that receiver is obvious.
Anxious to get the No.3 up and running for w/ 24" barrel the overall length is very handy in the field. It will be 4 groove, stainless steel of No.5 profile. Probably this winter will have both off to Turnbull for color case hardening and I just know that will make them shoot much better???

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can email me a picture I can post it for you.

Dick Wright

posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SaxonPig:

Nice collection Saxon

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Douglas finished the 6BR barrel for my No.3 topped with basic Ruger bases and rings and Leupold FXIII 6x42 scope. Been working up various loads for it and find that caliber is easy to live with in terms of accuracy. Rifle intended use is field work as in busting coyotes, varmints, etc. and big plus is that even with the 24" barrel quite easy to handle due to it's overall shortness. Kept the original stocks w/ straight grip butt, but did away with that silly plastic forearm band and rounded/shortened a bit the forearm end. Checkering job by Ahlman's to my pattern design.
Trigger is OK, but needs improvement and that will come later. Barrel is 8 twist and find surprisingly that it shoots the 68gr bullets as well as it does the 108gr. Bergers and anything in between. Going to call Wenig's today and see about an upgrade in the wood($$$$'s)and if any budget left will send off to Turnbull for CCH. Was mentioned in earlier postings about being difficult to find just an action of either No.1 or 3 and that is a fact for sure. I would pretty much duplicate this No.3 if I had another action, but caliber would be in the old 30-30 Winchester for WV deer/black bear. Could do another barrel for it with Douglas being almost my neighbor and that would make three barrels for it, 45/70, 6BR, and the 30-30. Barrels are a lot cheaper than a new rifle or price of action.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
A Ruger No. 1-A (1994) in 270 Winchester I owned briefly this month. (April 2021). Jard trigger, nice factory wood.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
My favorite No.1-B I'll own until the day I die. 280 Remington

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Mu Uncle gave me this in the 90's. I sold it and gave him the money years later. What a dummy I was. 6mm

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I added an RSI in 7mm

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post

416 Rigby, Vais brake, Kickeez Recoil and Cheek Pad, Jard trigger.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Interesting shadow you cast. Wink Nice rifle too.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Sweet! tu2

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom Number 3 22 Hornet in English Walnut with lever modification. Has Ivory inset in grip gap. One photo shows the checkered raised tab on the lever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom #3 in Bastonge Walnut with full octagon barrel. Chambered in 221 Fireball.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
TexasJohn,
I really like the custom touches on your No. 3 rifles. Very nice. And the 221 Fireball is a great little round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No. 3 .450/400-3"
https://imagizer.imageshack.co...g922/2973/hfp8pa.jpg
Photos are a Ruger I built in .450/400-3". Sports a Leopold 1 3/4-5 in claw mounts. Used to take two Cape Buffalo & plains game.
Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful rifle. Love the extra touches such as the rib, QD bases, safety, and lever. Doesn't get nicer than that.

quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
No. 3 .450/400-3"
https://imagizer.imageshack.co...g922/2973/hfp8pa.jpg
Photos are a Ruger I built in .450/400-3". Sports a Leopold 1 3/4-5 in claw mounts. Used to take two Cape Buffalo & plains game.
Roger