THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    What I would like in a single shot but will never happen
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I would like in a single shot but will never happen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I heard that many times before. Big store, lotsa overhead costs.
I've had some luck with smaller gun shops that accept consignments. One only charges 10%. But, their exposure to the used gun market is rather small.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Mike. 9,3x74R not enough thump huh?
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Why would Ralf mess with perfection?

+1

That is one of the reasons I buy blasers. The only gunsmithing I want done is mounting a scope.

Over time I have so many scopes on blaser mounts I don’t even need a gunsmith for that.

Mike

I am still waiting on a 30/06 barrel.

K-95 are very low priority at blaser.

I am surprised they actual still build it.

I love my k-95 - it is probably my favorite rifle. But r-8 is a far superior platform.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Too bad well used K95's are almost nonexistent. I looked for a half-stock to replace my full stock and gave up. Ended up with a good deal on a well-used Merkel K1. Not much different than a K95 in metal quality and accuracy. Wood finish is a bit less durable than the K95 on my Merkel though.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad well used K95's are almost nonexistent. I looked for a half-stock to replace my full stock and gave up. Ended up with a good deal on a well-used Merkel K1. Not much different than a K95 in metal quality and accuracy. Wood finish is a bit less durable than the K95 on my Merkel though.

Strange gun the k-95.

Looks like blaser won’t run barrels for k-95 unless there is a firm order for 10. Given that like 80 percent of k-95 sold are 308. Unless its 270 or 30/06 I would not see much new barrels being offered.

Now if you build an attache or higher end gun they will run a special barrel for the gun. So buy a 10k gun to get the caliber desired.

Even the 10k gun no one is in a hurry to build.

I plan to have a few built - newer ones will be right handed. No neutral stocks anymore.

Rather own 1/2 dozen k-95 than 1/2 dozen double rifles or custom rifles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I remember (missed the clearance sale by several months) at Eurooptic on K95's some years back. Biebs might know how long ago it was. . Anyway, I saw they had a bunch in stock, then heard they only sold one or two, nobody was buying them. So, they blew 'em out. Nothing handles like a K95, K1 or K3's. No more drop blocks for me. My Dakota Model 10 just sits in the safe albeit it a fine/high level well crafted rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike. 9,3x74R not enough thump huh?
quote:
quote:
Why would Ralf mess with perfection?

+1

That is one of the reasons I buy blasers. The only gunsmithing I want done is mounting a scope.

Over time I have so many scopes on blaser mounts I don’t even need a gunsmith for that.

Mike

Big decision this weekend.

The Blaser k95 attaché is not even started in Germany.

I plan on switching it to a 9.3x74. The recoil is the main issue.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, unless you specifically need a 9.3x74R, I'd stick with a lighter caliber for the K-95. If you do need that much horsepower, have them add a Kick-Stop in the build.

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, unless you specifically need a 9.3x74R, I'd stick with a lighter caliber for the K-95. If you do need that much horsepower, have them add a Kick-Stop in the build.

I am tired of losing deer to pissant calibers like 7x57 and 6.5 creedmoor.

I only want a big guns that throw a min 180 grain bullet which makes big holes that leave a blood trail and will knock a deer off its feet. Tired of dead deer that are perfectly hit but run away and die in the swaps a 100 yards away. If we don’t recover them right away the meat is useless as we start hunting August 15 in 100 degree temp.

I will ask for a kickstop in the build. Does not seem like anyone at blaser cares about building k-95 anyway so I may get it in 2020.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I only want a big guns that throw a min 180 grain bullet which makes big holes that leave a blood trail and will knock a deer off its feet. Tired of dead deer that are perfectly hit but run away and die in the swaps a 100 yards away. If we don’t recover them right away the meat is useless as we start hunting August 15 in 100 degree temp.

I will ask for a kickstop in the build. Does not seem like anyone at blaser cares about building k-95 anyway so I may get it in 2020.

Mike

Looks like the pedals are starting to fall from the rose.

First little negative comments about Blaser and the 6.5.

Pretty soon, you'll see Elon's Tesla being nothing more than the "sponge off the tax payers" scam it is!

Wake the kids and phone the neighbors folks. Mike is coming to his senses!!!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Pretty soon, you'll see Elon's Tesla being nothing more than the "sponge off the tax payers" scam it is!

Cool

Nothing negative about the blaser. They just don’t want to take my money and build me my rifle ASAP Big Grin

The 6.5 is great caliber.

The Barnes is a great bullet.

I just need something that leaves a blood trail along with a dead deer.

Tesla is outdated the new thing is rivian - get with the program Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Cool

Nothing negative about the blaser. They just don’t want to take my money and build me my rifle ASAP Big Grin

The 6.5 is great caliber.

The Barnes is a great bullet.

I just need something that leaves a blood trail along with a dead deer.

Tesla is outdated the new thing is rivian - get with the program Big Grin

Mike

LOL. Mike, you keep following which ever way the wind blows. Did you get your Model 3 that you had a deposit on but Tesla couldn't build? Even in their giant parking lot tent? Now Blaser isn't building the model rifle you want? Maybe just need a TENT factory where they can assemble left over 2nds parts rejected by the main production line?

Whistling

Rivian? No clue what that is. I'll stick with my 400,000 mile Dodge Ram that I've owned now for 16 years! In another 16 years, I'll probably get another one!! Maybe not. It'll likely still be short of a million miles. Might have to keep it another 20.

coffee

Chasing fads man. It's like my wife always telling me there's a local group trying to develop a vertical lift flying vehicle for the DFW area whereby you can board the vehicle and fly to a different location in the city and bypass the highways. I always point out that the models I've seen appear to be centrally located around a set of stations, or ports. Any time you deal with that, you are talking about driving to a location (the port), finding parking, then waiting for the next scheduled departure, flying to the next port, then finding transportation to your destination, probably a cab or Uber. By the time you go through all of that, you probably could just drive.

And here is the real shocker. They already have this system available. They are called helicopters!!! Problem is, it's not a very cost effective means for the average man on the street to move about the city!! More than likely, this group pushing this is another Musk type, looking to cash in on the backs of tax payers for a pie in the sky dream. Last time I heard about this project, the vertical lift vehicles were now supposed to be ... wait for it ... wait now ... "electric" (in other words, 'non-zero emissions' "Zero Emissions" vehicles that are the dog whistle for the "climate change" zombies).

animal

A good Mauser style action on a classically shaped stock in a time tested and proven caliber is the way to go. I don't see the value in the entire "switch barrel" gimmick. Not much different IMO than just swapping a stock out on a different barreled action. Who needs that? Much easier to get another gun. After all, you'll only have one barrel on the gun while in the field. It's not like you're going to be out for a small animal, see a big animal on quota and decide to change barrels for the shot. Now if you have a tracker carrying the second rifle, you're good to go!!

For a single shot, a good falling block offers more strength and reliability than you'll ever need. They make them in classically stocked rifles as well. Those are the choices guys at the range will think are "smart"!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Still have $1k at Tesla. Only Tesla I liked was the $140k model s. Between my f-150 truck and mom’s Cadillac CTS (she does not drive right now) I don’t need a new car for at least 8-10 years.

Will probably end up getting electric suv before than I guess. Next big purchase most likely is a gas burning center console boat - once I learn to drive a boat.

Nothing beats a blaser - best rifles in the world and I am biased to straight pulls. I have numerous Swiss k-11 and k-31 rifles.

I like the K95 and one in 9.3x74r with a kick stop might be the perfect African and South Carolina deer stand rifle for me.

Will stock a heavy scope and a nice leather sling and it will be ready to hunt.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 is no puissant caliber, it just ain't, its the lightest caliber I would hunt any animal in the world with...and have come pretty close to it, never shot a whale, but shot an elephant and several buffalo with it..all one shot kills...only requirement is good shooting, same as my .470 ya gotta put it in the right spot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41753 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The 7x57 is no puissant caliber, it just ain't, its the lightest caliber I would hunt any animal in the world with...and have come pretty close to it, never shot a whale, but shot an elephant and several buffalo with it..all one shot kills...only requirement is good shooting, same as my .470 ya gotta put it in the right spot..

I will build another k95 in 8x57. I have fallen in love with that caliber in my r8.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When Bell 1st went to Africa he hired on as a guard against animals that could attack the railroad crews. He had a single shot 303 that failed to extract the cases frequently because of the temperatures + the cordite. Now that could tend to make you a very good shot.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Bet that would rattle the ol' molars a bit.

No I want it nice and heavy and super accurate.

Again will never happen.

Mike

I agree. Not experienced in many of the single shots. But I’ve had four #1 Rugers, poor accuracy in all cases.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
quote:
quote:
Bet that would rattle the ol' molars a bit.

No I want it nice and heavy and super accurate.

Again will never happen.

Mike

I agree. Not experienced in many of the single shots. But I’ve had four #1 Rugers, poor accuracy in all cases.

I have 4 number 1 too

3 accurate and great guns with their specific bullets.

6.5 accurate with light bullets.

Then I have a k95 in 308 that shot .17 inch with $15 match ppu ammo and a 270 that shoots .30 and a creedmoor that shoots .3.

I like ruger number 1 but they are no where in the same league as a k95.

Also all k95 shoot of the same frame and I can swap scopes in 30 seconds.

Won’t be buying another number 1 unless I see a accurate 450-400.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just joined the K-95 club!

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote