New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knight KP1 Experience
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody here have experience, good or bad, with the KP1? I bought one on a whim. I've never even seen one, but I do own two Knight muzzleloaders. This rifle will also be my first 45-70 and loading data seems to run from pussycat to pretty stout. Any and all input concerning the KP1 and loading the 45-70 would be appreciated.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son got one as a present from his father-in-law. Every shot the trigger group falls out and hits the ground. I have not tried to figure it out yet.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Bob, that sounds like it might be a broken or missing Trigger Housing Lock Spring. Should be a simple fix.

quote:
From Knight’s KP1 Rifle

The trigger group contains–you guessed it–the trigger, hammer, transfer bar, decocker, and associated coil springs, levers, and pins. It is removable–a nifty feature first found on Knight’s Revolution muzzleloader introduced several years ago.

“The removable trigger makes the gun so much easier to clean,” Simms said. “You can’t clean out the extremely corrosive blackpowder fouling unless you can get the trigger group out of the gun. We thought that was a big weakness in some other designs.”

A hardened dowel pin extends through the trigger-group housing and is attached to the trigger-release tab. Matching receiver cuts, barely visible when the trigger group is in place, allow the pin and the rest of the trigger group in and out of the receiver. When the trigger is replaced, the pin, under the pressure of a coil spring, rides up small ramps cast into each side of the receiver to pull the trigger group into its recess.

Removing the trigger group can be accomplished with one hand. Simply grasp the trigger group between the thumb, which pushes the release tab just ahead of the trigger forward, and the index finger, which wraps around the front of the trigger guard. Then pull straight out. Replacing the unit is a little tricky. A little experimentation revealed the key was rocking the hammer back slightly and inserting the back end of the trigger group into the recess first.

Read more: http://www.shootingtimes.com/l...00712/#ixzz3l7oxrv84

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Next time I am at his house I'll tinker with it.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
minute of pie plate groups - 300wm, 223 and 270.

think I would have learned after the first bbl.

safety lever broke, replaced b4 they went out of business.

I was tempted to have the 300 barrel cut off and bored out and rethread what's left for a new barrel.

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got the 45-70 to the range. No handloads yet, so I tried the 325 grain Hornady leverevolutions at 2050fps. This thing is silly accurate. It just stacks them at 100 yds. Groups were under moa and recoil was tolerable. On a less positive note: My KP1 has the replacement trigger without the silly secondary safety. However, creep is nasty and pull is somewhere north of three pounds. My original plan was to install a custom breechplug and make this rifle a smokeless 45 caliber muzzleloader. Now I don't know....... Don't shoot the donor!

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bayou Bob has a KP1 that the trigger falls out when fired. My problem is just the opposite. I bought a reworked trigger to replace the crappy trigger on my rifle and can't budge the factory unit. Absolutely no movement when I press the release!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: i returned the rifle to the folks that do kight's warranty work. Trigger now functions perfectly. It is two stage and breaks like glass at 2.5 pounds.