Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Picked up one of these new in .45-70.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Another one to own for a backpacking gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the muzzle brake removable?

It would also be very easy with a throat reamer to set it up for 405gr bullets.

posted Hide Post
What is the thread pitch on the barrel? 5/8-24?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Muzzle brake removed. I don't think it's necessary. Need to get a thread protector made up. Thread designation unconfirmed as M18x1.

Thank you

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
a hell of a lot like a Knight KP1. Looks like yous is a lot better.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow. That looks like a very useful rifle indeed, and one I had not heard of. Congratulations on the find, and on getting it to shoot so very well.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats not a G2 and they might have a patent infringement problem with S&W and Thompson Center.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle. Wonder how they compare to a CVA Scout in the same caliber.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also be interested in how they compare to the Henry single shot. The Henry is about the same price and to me a much nicer looking rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would want iron sight options such as a peep on that rail and a front sight ramp and punch it out to a 45-90 posibly...but I really have no use for such as I don't back pack these days, but it should be a dandy for packers, dog sleds etc..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen. Perfect and nice looking rifle. You know that I use single shots, H&R and TC Encore up to .577 NE. in Africa. I enjoy the experience of a "one shot" I definitely like your Outfitter rifle/scope set up.
That is the same scope that I will mount fo my 45-70 for lion. ( I will use Cutting Edge Raptor bullets.) Those Barnes Buster bullets look nice and mean, and they are praised by experienced hunter. As far as I am concerned a 458 cal doesn't have to expand, it comes pre-expanded.

Another advantage that of the break open gun is that you can shoot pointed bullets, it buys you another 100-200 fps terminal velocity out to 200yds. Also you can seat them shallow and make more room for powder and give you some more speed! Having said all that I have killed cape buffalo with .500 cal bullets, dead right there, with terminal velocities below 1900 fps. I don't think big bullets need speed.

Enjoy your rifle. Anyone who hunts with a break open single shot get my respect! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below is a link to some Cutting edge bullets for that special hunt with a 45-70, in the top row in the display.

I will probable the 295 gr Raptor for lion. These bullets really kill, but you can't shoot through the brush with them like your Barnes Buster. Also Sierra has a 458 bullet that I would be happy to hunt in North America with. It would be a perfect fun/practice bullet too.

Also. please tell me about your muzzle brake. How does it work? What make is it? Thanks, brian

https://cuttingedgebullets.com...e-bullets?caliber=66